Feedback at low volumes.

Narzugon

Power User
"Back in the day" I had this simple little speaker box from radio shack that was used to amplify a phone's handset. It was approximately 5"x3.5"x2" with a volume knob and 1/8" input. I threw the suction cup mic away and used the input for a DI of my guitar. Sitting directly in front of this with it on 11 I could get crazy sustain and feedback as if I were standing in front of a wall of amps but with my amp at bedroom volumes.

I've since lost that box and have been trying to recreate that effect. I've tried everything from cheap computer speakers to a small cheap practice amp that runs off a 9v. I've tried running a side chain in a patch that has a compressor, drive and eq that sends out of the FX send and directly to the small speaker. I can achieve a level of sustain and feedback but in most cases I have to coax it, it takes to long and sometimes may not be strong enough.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried and true method.

Thanks!

Turn off the noise gate (very important) and you need to control your vibrato on the strings. And use enough gain to make it sings, use a drive pedal hitting the front of the amp if needed.

Fernandes Sustainer or Sustainiac is another option.

Not really interested in those at the moment. They've always been in the back of my mind but being a strat guy and relying heavily on my neck pickup, I've never wanted to sacrifice it for a sustainer type pickup.

Turn off the noise gate (very important) and you need to control your vibrato on the strings. And use enough gain to make it sings, use a drive pedal hitting the front of the amp if needed.

Yeah. To give ya more detail here's what I've been trying.

Preset - The Brown Sound - It's in the 300 range.

I created a parallel chain coming off of the speaker cab that goes to the FX loop. In that chain I've experimented with a compressor, drive and eq's. Tons of drive and eq cuts and boosts.

Running a cable from the FX send out of the back of the Axe to a small Rocktron battery operated practice amp that has vol, tone and a clean/dist switch. Tried other speakers as well trying to replicate the old speaker I had which probably had a very limited freq range (hence the eq in the chain). There's a lot there to tweak and try but I've yet to hit the magic combo.

V10 is just like a real amp - you won't get a fast and stable feedback at low volumes, you need to crank it. When I crank my Legacy preset, it sustains for days with a nice feedback, so I guess it is really down to volume, and a Les Paul doesn't hurt too much neither.

Back
Top Bottom