Wish Feature roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPond

Experienced
I‘m always curious about what you guys are working on :)
Some companies are sharing some kind of roadmaps of features - i would love to see something similar from FAS :)
There are some ready to go „apps“ to create something like this ..

So long!
Niklas

But stuff like ...

• power through additional USB port
  • advanced pitch block
  • official mobile app
  • wifi dongle
  • ... whatever!

... is more than amp modeling and bug fixes ;)

This won't happen. Fractal keep things on the qt

Plus think of how nuts the forum would get if Cliff posted he was working on a Klon and/or set list function and things weren't up to the standard he was happy with and kept getting put baxk

Just my opinion but I wouldn’t be sharing my development backlog with my competitors!
Thanks
Pauly

A roadmap is especially in the field of software companies a common thing, nothing unsual.
It shows transparancy and a guided way what will come.
You can of course still have suprises, not 100% is included.
But right now, for example, i don't now if usb power function will EVER come, or an updated pitch block, wifi editing ...
And those things influence what i need on my board and what additional components are maybe required - i simply do not know when to decide.

Plus think of how nuts the forum would get if Cliff posted he was working on a Klon and/or set list function
I bet this is his nuclear option; if interest ever starts to wane (as if...), then he could post something like that to generate scuttlebutt :sweatsmile:

Some companies are sharing some kind of roadmaps of features - i would love to see something similar from FAS :)
Inside a company we'd do it and it was known to be company confidential and if it was shared outside the company it could be cause for termination. So, with the public, meaning us? I'm going to say it's not gonna happen. It's called strategic advantage.

Fractal is a small company without the backing of someone like Yamaha who is behind Line 6. It's important for a small company to keep the inner working of the products inscrutable and not let the competition know what they're working on.

If you want a little preview you can always look at the patent filings, but how they'll be applied in future products or technologies will still be a guess.

You are able to see what requested tweaks and bug-fixes are in the pipeline by looking at the wish master lists for the FM3 and FX3, but entirely new stuff? Nope.

Last edited:
^ This. And, FAS has enough market share (small compared to say L6, but large enough relative to what they can produce) that they don't need to "create interest" in their next product or update.

A roadmap is especially in the field of software companies a common thing, nothing unsual.
It shows transparancy and a guided way what will come.
You can of course still have suprises, not 100% is included.
But right now, for example, i don't now if usb power function will EVER come, or an updated pitch block, wifi editing ...
And those things influence what i need on my board and what additional components are maybe required - i simply do not know when to decide.
But FAS is not a software company...

Plan based on what is known. Anything else is speculation. Even if they said something is on the roadmap there is no guarantee.

Consider Set Lists as an example ;)

You are able to see what requested tweaks and bug-fixes are in the pipeline by looking at the wish master lists for the FM3 and FX3, but entirely new stuff? Nope.
Whether many of those happens is always a mystery.

Having owned an Axe-Fx Standard and 2 together for nearly a decade and now owning a FM3, I have always been impressed by the sound improvements Fractal puts out and always been underwhelmed by the lack of progress in other areas during the time I've had 'em.

Based on past performance I expect that until the "FM4" and "Axe-Fx 4" comes out none of the usability improvement wishes will be fulfilled. I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong.

Whether many of those happens is always a mystery.

Having owned an Axe-Fx Standard and 2 together for nearly a decade and now owning a FM3, I have always been impressed by the sound improvements Fractal puts out and always been underwhelmed by the lack of progress in other areas during the time I've had 'em.

Based on past performance I expect that until the "FM4" and "Axe-Fx 4" comes out none of the usability improvement wishes will be fulfilled. I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong.
It’d be easy to track the progress by spinning off a copy of the master list and adding a column for date and time stamps as items are reported implemented, and another for when they are actually released.

People are not good at remembering when those things occur. Having the times readily available makes it easy to track progress. We could even track the time requests spent in the pipeline. :)

Having been using Axe Fx II and now III since 2013, I have seen many, many usability Improvements based on wishes and even non-wish forum posts (including a few of mine).
Are there things that can be improved from a usability perspective? Yes - there always will be.

Does Fractal ignore these requests? In my opinion, no. Although I agree that there is more focus on improving the Amp modeling and effects, I think that is appropriate given the raison d'être of these devices.

Also, many wishes are silly or very specific to certain uncommon use cases that would benefit few.

Id love to see that USB-A port come alive, say recording extended loops on a flash device beyond the internal memory limit? Export import patches and backup/restore without a computer would be nice as well...

IMHO
The flagship Fractal AXE FxIII does not have USB-A port.
If the future AXE FX IV gets the USB-A port with any functionality then there is a hope it would get enabled on FM3.
Until then it's silly to expect a feature on FM3 to be implemented ahead of flagship Fractal unit.

The FM3 has external Dual-Switch support, the Axe-FX III doesn't... There are device-specific features like that and the USB-A port, and I don't see why the lack of it in the Axe should represent any obstacle in the development of said feature in the FM3.

IMHO
The flagship Fractal AXE FxIII does not have USB-A port.
If the future AXE FX IV gets the USB-A port with any functionality then there is a hope it would get enabled on FM3.
Until then it's silly to expect a feature on FM3 to be implemented ahead of flagship Fractal unit.
Not really... It's different hardware.

This is definitely a bad idea. When Fractal so much as hints at a feature they’re thinking about, the forum never hears the end of it.

Plus, development roadmaps aren’t exactly conducive to “epiphanies”. I can already hear users complaining that a roadmap item got skipped if favor of one Cliff’s legendary modeling improvements.

Bad idea.

A roadmap does not have to have a specific date. Like i said, i would like to know if (for example) i need to buy a drop pedal in the near future because to be honest, the current pitch block is ... not great (fast riffs, clean ... not good) - or - the fm3 will get an update for this block. This would calm me as an user :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom