Fear no gear - but I do

Hhuent

Experienced
I wonder how you guys who received their new AX8 hours before the next gig set a bunch of presets up in surprisingly short time. I own a FX8 - my first fractal unit - and found I had quite a way to go from an analogue pedalboard - the FX8 is more flexible, more reliable, but easier to set up? - in my case: no way.

From the very first moment I heard from the AX8 I wanted to have it - first modeler that I was ever interested in and just what the doctor ordered. My habit is to read a manual before I receive the unit. So I glanced in the AX8 manual to learn a bit about the amp block. Good god! Page 42 - 50 mention around 80 (!) different controls that can be tweaked and that interact with each other! Sure you can ignore some of them, but I am quite a bit overwelmed by what I read if not frightened. This seems to be quite a different game when going from the FX8 to modeler land.

How the heck do you guys set your new presets up so efficiently when dealing with such an amount of controls that shape your sound?
- factory presets as a starting point?
- what settings do you simply ignore? Which settings can easily be used to good effect?
- newbies, how steep was your learning curve?

Thanks for any hint that calms my mind ;-)

In the beginning, you only have to mess around with the basic amp controls (drive, master, level, BMT ) - All the deeper parameters are comparable to switching tubes or transformers in your tube amp. Find something you really like with the basic controls, and then explore the deeper parameters if needed.

I went through the same thing myself with my FX8... I think it's inevitable to a degree... one bit of advice I wish I'd had was to use the front panel to try and make some presets... I found you focus a LOT more on the sound and a lot less on all the deep options...

The other thing is this... you'll be able to REALLY dial in specific sounds, in an attempt to clone something you already have, but I'd consider not trying to do that initially... instead just try and find things you like... it's much more rewarding and you'll be surprised how quickly you can make yourself happy if you just use your ears...

No doubt it's a piece of pro gear. good advice here^^^ find a preset that's close to what you're looking for then tweak the basic amp controls to dial it in. Chances are good you'll run across a few presets where you can't stop playing, they're the ones you want! And don't worry about the advanced parameters, or even ir's for that matter. you can dig in to all that stuff as you get more comfortable with things.

I use a template when creating presets. And I always "initialize" the preset first to make sure everything is at default.
No need to use all parameters. My Amp settings are very basic. My Cab settings as well.
I've saved all my favorite effect settings so I can easily recall them when needed.

What you are describing is what I call the black hole. Many a guy has left the axe behind over the years because they spend to much time tweaking. It becomes one of those things where if it is there ppl want to mess with it. The advanced parameters will eat you alive. They are awesome and powerful but I promise you you can never touch them stick to the basics and get killer tone.

There is a steep learning curve for the folks who have never use fractal before and I always say don't jump into the deep end of the pool. The guys who are setting up their ax and making presets in moments are probably fractal vets. When I get my ax8 I know I can have it set up with two preset and do just about any gig I typically do with this to presets within 10 min. In those 10 min it will be configured, exp pedal and mini exp knob calibrated and attached to modifiers and the two preset done. I am a 6 year fractal user and have avoided that black hole and it has kept me happy with the unit and busy playing and. Not tweaking

I've been using Fractal products for 6 years now; I've never been a 'deep edit' guy, but rather I like keeping things simple and have always had great tones from these boxes. With the AX8, I'm more than happy with every sound I've gotten so far….astounded, actually! I started with a couple presets that I liked, swapped in a few effects types and amps, minor tweaking, and saved them to new preset slots. I also exported some TMA-to-CAB blocks from my XL so that I can get my acoustic sounds. In all, I have my main 8 presets and it took me about 30 minutes. I've played my guitar so much more in the last 3 days, and can't wait for our next rehearsal. My advice is to keep it simple, and yes, I think there's some great sounds right out of the box.

Ignore deep editing for a while. Start slow going through factory presets. It may be easiest to start with a preset that uses an amp you're familiar with. The beauty of the AX8 is the amp knobs right on the box. Just use these to dial in tones for a while. The deep editing stuff can easily be ignored for months until you've really spent some time dialing in a few tones you really dig. The advanced parameters can be learned about slowly when you begin to get bored with your tone. I think deep editing if used in this way can be the best protection against GAS.

What I've learned since ultra days is that the default settings are a great guideline to start. From there on you just have to trust your ears. :)

Guys, this is about the best help in 7 posts I had since I visited this forum. Simply great! It may sound all so simple and understood but compressed in "six commandments of newbies AX8" it comes down to:

1. Ignore deep editing for a while. Start going through factory presets - easist is to start with a preset that uses an amp you're familiar with.
2. Deeper parameters are for later and help prevent GAS. Some are comparable to switching tubes or transformers in your tube amp.
3. Or start from a template. Initialize the preset first so everything is at default. Save favourite fx settings and recall them when needed.
4. Use your ears not your eyes, and use the front panel (drive, master knobs!) not the editor: You will focus more sound, less on deep options.
5. Don´t start with cloning your favourite pedal. Start from a factory preset you like = instant gratfication.
6. Limit yourself to two (or so) presets at the beginning. Less tweaking when you have to adapt to different live gig situations.

Add more if you want.
Thanks and kudos to you guys. Very much appreciated.

How the heck do you guys set your new presets up so efficiently when dealing with such an amount of controls that shape your sound?
- factory presets as a starting point?
- what settings do you simply ignore? Which settings can easily be used to good effect?
- newbies, how steep was your learning curve?

I received my AFX II M1 in February 2014 and had no idea what to do... It did amazing things with factory presets, but that didn't mean much to me at the time since I wanted to play with the amps/cabs in greater detail to achieve what the majority of people on here were raving about. There is a learning curve that you have to commit to, but it isn't as steep as you may think. Biggest thing to understand, Axe-Edit and AX8-Edit are your friends. Front panel controls are great and the quick tweaking is cool with the AX8, but the software is what sets this device apart from other competitors. Here's some pointers:

- Start simple. When you get a blank preset (on the AX8 it's Bank 17: Preset 1), start up AX8-Edit and have an Amp > Cab with a straight shunt from Input to Output through the blocks [this all will make sense when you boot up AX8-Edit]. It gives you a full spectrum view of The Grid, yes, TRON style... :D
- Reset the Amp block (CTRL + Click [Mac] or Right-Click [PC], Block, Reset Block) same for Cab block
- Tweak your Amp block in AX8-Edit first, this includes Input Gain, Overdrive, Output Level, Bass/Mid/Treble | Again, start simple. It's easy to go off into the weeds on specific settings that may or may not change your amp parameters sonically or perceptually.
- Start adding in your favorite blocks inline with the signal chain, in other words, replace a shunt (straight line) with a Reverb block. Tweak those settings to your liking.
- More Advanced: When you get comfortable with navigating AX8-Edit, go to the factory presets to see how the FAS team created that particular sound. This was huge for me when I needed to create a couple of auto-wah or auto-filter presets for some funk stuff. Once you can envision how the Fractal gods created the presets, that gives you more parameters or ideas to play with.

I received my AX8 yesterday and in 30 minutes I had 4 presets created for my church's Christmas program coming up. I'll post the presets later on tonight for Wizards In Winter, Sarajevo, Lincoln Brewster style and a couple of ambient presets. They'll be posted to M@-man's sticky thread later.

AX8-Edit is your friend, you will enjoy creating presets once you become familiar with the software. Don't be overwhelmed with the amount of changes you can make, start simple and approach the amp/cabs like you would any other real world amp.

Hope that helps homeslice, enjoy!

I'd say it mostly has to do with we're all long time axe fx users. Everything on the AX8 is pretty familiar except for assigning the the footswitches which is actually easier haha.

Come up with a preset template that pretty much takes care of your basic requirements
Just figure out a few blocks you wish to switch on and off.
Assign them to the footswitches
Get used to that patch for awhile.

One additional item; if you use reverb, at first try one that uses low CPU, such as a spring reverb. I did this and it will allow you to load many other effects blocks in patches and keep the overall CPU in check. Keep in mind that the higher quality reverbs (i.e. Studio, Hall, etc) use way more CPU.

it's only as difficult as you make it...pretend the deep edit pages don't even exist for a while. i rarely ever use them and I've been using Fractal for a long time.

4. Use your ears not your eyes, and use the front panel (drive, master knobs!) not the editor: You will focus more sound, less on deep options.
Two very important things to remember when tweaking presets.

You guys ROCK! Thank you for further inputs.
Great to know you´re not alone with the beast in the woods ;-)). Looks like there are ways to tame it and go hunting for pleasing tones. I expect it to arrive in January... Until then I will read the manual twice and follow your advices. Happy X-mas all.

I was at a music store the other day and they had one of the little 25watt Mark series Boogies. There are 11 mini toggle switches- some of which are 3-way, that whacky 5 band eq, 14 or 15 knobs, cabinet emulation, headphone out, etc. I think this must have more features per cubic inch than any other guitar amp in history. i think the AX8 is easier to use LOL

Two very important things to remember when tweaking presets.
Well, I "strongly" disagree with the bolded text in the 4th commandment... ;)
ABSOLUTELY use the "editor" !!
You'll learn your device capabilities and controls much faster than tinkering with the front panel.. and you can do that sitting down in front of your PC!!

In 5 (or is it 6?) yrs of being a FAS Beta tester - and AxeFx owner prior to that - I have SELDOM used the front panel to tweak/edit. Yes, there's always been the you-need-to-know-how-to-use-the-front-panel-in-case-you-need-to-tweak-at-gigs school of thought. But, go look at the FAS artists page... how many of them have you seen reach over and tweak at a gig?
I'd bet almost none - if any!

For gigs, I'm firmly in the do-your-homework-and-get-your-presets-set-for-gigs-at-rehearsal school.
I have NEVER tweaked a preset setting during a gig.. other than adjusting output levels to FOH or stage monitors. To be sure, that doesn't work for everyone.. but constant tweaking - especially during a gig - detracts (IMHO) from the purpose of having the Axe in the first place..
Of course.. YMMV

Well, I "strongly" disagree with the bolded text in the 4th commandment... ;)
ABSOLUTELY use the "editor" !!
You'll learn your device capabilities and limitations much faster than tinkering with the front panel.. and you can do that sitting down in front of your PC!!

In 5 (or is it 6?) yrs of being a FAS Beta tester - and AxeFx owner prior to that - I have SELDOM used the front panel to tweak/edit. Yes, there's always been the you-need-to-know-how-to-use-the-front-panel-in-case-you-need-to-tweak-at-gigs school of thought. But, go look at the FAS artists page... how many of them have you seen reach over and tweak at a gig?
I'd bet almost none - if any!

For gigs, I'm firmly in the do-your-homework-and-get-your-presets-set-for-gigs-at-rehearsal school.
I have NEVER tweaked a preset setting during a gig.. other than adjusting output levels to FOH or stage monitors. To be sure, that doesn't work for everyone.. but constant tweaking - especially during a gig - detracts (IMHO) from the purpose of having the Axe in the first place..
Of course.. YMMV

I hear what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree. But different strokes for different folks right? I've been a user since the Ultra shipped and I almost never use the editor. I spend all day in front of a computer writing software, debugging kernel dumps, blah, blah, etc. so the last thing I want to do when it comes time to make music is hook up a computer. I've been able to get around the front panel easily since day one. I've had many years of prior experience with all manner of music gear (keys, rack gear, Roland VG stuff, MIDI guitar) so the Axe front panel was a breeze. The only thing I use the editor for is to edit patch names. It takes less time to create a patch than it does to name it with the front panel :) Oh, and I never tweak at a gig either. I've had the AX8 since the middle of last week and have yet to fire up the editor. I never even tried the FX8 editor despite using it extensively for quite some time and doing a number of gigs with it.

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes.

Back
Top Bottom