FCs for multiple band members

In my band, I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford Fractal gear, but unfortuantely the other guitar player is not in a position to buy higher end gear. His gear doesn't sound as good as I would like, so I used my Axe FX II XL+ for both guitarists, controlled with my MFC-101. I used 5 scenes: Both Clean, One Clean/One Dirty, the Other Clean/Other Dirty, Both Dirty, and Dirty Rhythm/Solo Boost.

Since I am the lead guitarist and lead vocalist, it got to be quite annoying controlling both guitars while playing and singing, but it was doable. I eventually got an AX8, which the other guitarist now uses. This is a much simpler/better solution for me. If the scene selection was automated or if there was less busy (or more capable than I) person, it would totally work.

I think with the Axe FX III, if they made one or two changes, it would be doable, especially with the FC6/FC12 paradigm.

1. Four amps at the same time with 2 channels (rather than 2 amps w/ 4 channels), would work better for this
2. A virtual A/B/Y FX Block, allowing a MIDI command to switch between FX chains.

In this way, any player could switch between a clean and dirty amp, with all associated FX, independently of the other Player's FX chains and the FC series would be simple to implement for this kind of use.
I love everything you just said!

1. Four amps at the same time with 2 channels (rather than 2 amps w/ 4 channels), would work better for this
2. A virtual A/B/Y FX Block, allowing a MIDI command to switch between FX chains.

In this way, any player could switch between a clean and dirty amp, with all associated FX, independently of the other Player's FX chains...
You can do that without the changes you listed, even on the Axe II.

Last edited:
You con do that without the changes you listed, even on the Axe II.

I'm all ears, how?

I was toying with the idea of using a Stereo panner and using the left and right channels to split out signal paths, but I'd assume I would need to stop using scenes and program a single IA switch to both the Amp X/Y and Panner L/R.

The Rhythm guitarist's chain basically goes:
Dirty - Input > Dirty Amp > EQ > Reverb > Out
Clean - Input > Clean Amp > Chorus > Reverb > Out

Lead Guitarist:
Lead - Input > Overdrive > Dirty Amp > EQ > Delay > Reverb > Out

I'm all ears, how?

I was toying with the idea of using a Stereo panner and using the left and right channels to split out signal paths, but I'd assume I would need to stop using scenes and program a single IA switch to both the Amp X/Y and Panner L/R.

The Rhythm guitarist's chain basically goes:

Lead Guitarist:
Lead - Input > Overdrive > Dirty Amp > EQ > Delay > Reverb > Out
You each get an Amp block. X is clean, Y is dirty.

You use Input1 and Output1. He uses Input2 and Output2 (he can use Output1 if you want to mix both signals together before you send to FOH, but that’s not ideal).

You each have two effects chains. For each pair of FX chains, attach a MIDI CC to the Input Gain of the first effect in the chain. Invert one of the modifiers so On is Off, and Off is On. Assign both to the same CC. Now, when the CC is on, you’re using one FX chain; when it’s off, you’re using the other chain.

Get two MIDI foot controllers. On each pedal, set up a footswitch to send the appropriate X/Y for each guitarist’s amp. Set up another footswitch to send the CC that you assigned to that guitarist’s FX Input Gain.

Connect both foot controllers to send commands to your Axe-Fx via MIDI. There are various ways to do that, depending on what hardware to have.

Done.

Instead of two effect chains per guitarist another option would be to just control block bypass. Get something that can send a few CCs when selecting a preset, and control Amp XY and a few block bypasses. Or use Ext Ctrls for more options like two or more blocks toggling together or oppositely from each other, and other parameter control. If you ignore the other row the options & process would be just like setting up instant combinations of effects with a controller on something that doesn't have scenes (like the Axe-FX I, or the Axe-FX II before it had scenes).

Instead of two effect chains per guitarist another option would be to just control block bypass. Get something that can send a few CCs when selecting a preset, and control Amp XY and a few block bypasses. Or use Ext Ctrls for more options like two or more blocks toggling together or oppositely from each other, and other parameter control. If you ignore the other row the options & process would be just like setting up instant combinations of effects with a controller on something that doesn't have scenes (like the Axe-FX I, or the Axe-FX II before it had scenes).
Yup. Having two FX chains for each guitarist is a minimalist approach. No reason not to give each guitarist complete control over his effects.

Thank you! I like the idea of having two chains, switching back and forth. I will start experimenting with the when my III gets here on Wednesday (Fingers crossed!)

Get two MIDI foot controllers. On each pedal, set up a footswitch to send the appropriate X/Y for each guitarist’s amp. Set up another footswitch to send the CC that you assigned to that guitarist’s FX Input Gain.

If I am reading that correctly, will it require two buttons? Ideally, Amp X/Y and clean/dirty FX chains would be toggled with one button press. I would like to run an external single button switch from the new FC or from my MFC so he can toggle Clean and Dirty with a single button (there isn't a need for either of us to individually control FX in this project.) Meanwhile, I would just need 3 options toggling between clean/dirty/lead states

Back
Top Bottom