FCB1010

Dutch said:
Cat-5 cables go for like, three bucks for the 15ft versions? No problem to have a couple of backups, I already have lots of these lying around. Parts for all of this are probably still less than one Rocktron 7-pin Midi cable.

I gotta disagree here. The level of effort though to pull all that off is way more than necessary.

The method I posted of phantom powering the FCB is simple, clean, easy. The Rocktron RDMH900 cable is only $18-$20! The parts to make it compatible were only $10 ($2.50 + ($1.70 x 2) + ($1.29 x 2) + $1.99). And the time it takes to modify these things are NOTHING.

I gotta find my pics of the inside of my FCB + it powered on.

LAYGO said:
Dutch said:
Cat-5 cables go for like, three bucks for the 15ft versions? No problem to have a couple of backups, I already have lots of these lying around. Parts for all of this are probably still less than one Rocktron 7-pin Midi cable.

I gotta disagree here. The level of effort though to pull all that off is way more than necessary.

The method I posted of phantom powering the FCB is simple, clean, easy. The Rocktron RDMH900 cable is only $18-$20!
Not over here they aren't. "Ordinary" 7-pin midi cables are like €33, that's about $45-ish. One backup, that's 90-ish. Wouldn't want to get stuck with a broken controller cable... + the $10 for the compatibility parts below makes $100. BTW, I can't even find one of those RDMH900s anywhere on the European web.
I already have most of the parts I would need for my setup and I'm not even close to $40 yet.
And when my foolish mind decides to forget my cables at any time, which do you suppose would be easier to get? Plus it'll do two way communication. Which I grant is usually not necessary for the FCB, but I might hook up the editors at times as well... Or mod my next controller, which might be capable of two-way communication...
It is quite some work. But I think I'd prefer it for the ease of setup. I like tinkering with soldering irons... Just fixed our induction cooking plate.
The parts to make it compatible were only $10 ($2.50 + ($1.70 x 2) + ($1.29 x 2) + $1.99). And the time it takes to modify these things are NOTHING.

I gotta find my pics of the inside of my FCB + it powered on.

Would love to see those pics! Still: great job! Not wishing to bicker about it.

Since today I'm happy owner of the FCB 1010 (still with the original software from Behringer), and the possibilites of this cheap device are superb. A few of the postings here brought me on a wrong trail, so I decided to write my own story here.

First of all, I read on a few occasions, that this thing can only have 5 stompboxes buttons. This is a bit misleading. You can program all 10 buttons to send CC messages. It comes with a little price though.

I decided to switch programs only on the AxeFx itself. So I programmed the 10 buttons to send CC 21-30. So the price you have to pay is, you can't change the programs with the FCB - ok for me.

And I made a second decision: I don't want to connect a FCB button to always let's say DRIVE bypass. I set the Axefx, that the first button is connected to EXTERN1, second to EXTERN2, ... 6th to EXTERN6, the left pedal to EXTERN7 and the right to EXTERN8. (You might note, that I can't use button 7-10, because the Axe-Fx has no more EXTERN's. It's ok, it is enough possibilities...)

Now I connect on every Axe-FX patch the EXTERN x with the settings I want to control. My "biggest" control-freak-patch has the following possibilities:

Button 1 - slowly blend-in of the rotary (MIX goes from 0 % to 40%, damping 1s)
Button 2 - rotary speed changes from 4,7% to 33,9%, again with a damping of 1s
Pedal 1 controls the reverb tail in two different ways: It controls the feedback of the delay and the level of the reverb. This has the nice effect to come close to the listener for the more intimate parts of the song, and be "big" for the rest of the song - and you can control the vicinity in 127 steps... ;-)
Pedal 2 controls the gain of a peak filter at 2980 Hz and Q 0,1. This results in more drive, and the tone gets a bit more mean. Since the loudness raises a bit too much, tomorrow I will reduce the level on the amp a bit.

You noticed the good thing? With one pedal or button you can control more than one setting. E.g the pedal 1 controls the feedback of the delay AND the level of the reverb. You could use a pedal to mute DRIVE1 and at the same time switch on DRIVE2. Or blend between two amps. Or cabinets.

And you can blend softly: I'm not a fan of the sudden loudness jumps when you engage a drive. So I never switch the DRIVE on bypass, but I switch the mix from 100% to 0% with a damping of e.g 300ms.

I hope that was understandable. Sorry if it's not...

For me, the key to a good VST synthesizer lies in the way you can modulate the sound in an organic, lively way - no extremes, but gentle variations of tone. Today I applied that principle to the guitar - and it makes playing just so much more expressive. In the end, these are not only dull technical parameters you modify: You can bring your guitar closer to the listener or far away, you can make the tone "mean", you can make the tone somehow wicked with the Rotary (I'm missing the right words here - I mean, you put a kind of estrangement to the listener, a phoniness in the tone), and you can then contrast this with the true, Gilmourish tone if you like. And this all on top of the modulations you do with your fingers and pickup selections... Ah, endless variations...

To boldly go where no man has gone before - I'm going to bed now.

You thought wrong on a bunch of those.
- 5 stomboxes with accurate lights, but it can send 10 CCs per bank (technically 20)
- it can send 10 CCs and all the other banks be PCs (or w/UnO, you can have 19 banks of 5 PCs + 1 bank of 5 CCs)

You can do it differently than just using the Ext1-8 by if each patch always has a drive/delay, you can assign that pedal directly to do that in the I/O menu, CTRL (drive/delay bypass).

LAYGO said:
You can do it differently than just using the Ext1-8 by if each patch always has a drive/delay, you can assign that pedal directly to do that in the I/O menu, CTRL (drive/delay bypass).

I know, but this is exactly the way I didn't want to go.

hey guys,

I'm new here, my first post. I own a FCB1010 and currently use it with a Tech21 PSA-1 preamp / TC Electronics G-major. I've been considering upgrading my rig to an AxeFX unit, and wanted to clarify something. Am I understanding this correctly - an unmodified stock FCB1010 can *not* change programs on the AxeFX?

For instance, if I had the FCB1010 connected to an AxeFX, I could not navigate the patches using the bank up/down buttons and selecting program 1-10?

Trying to figure out if I need a new midi controller or not to get basic functionality out of the AxeFX system. I would love the ability to change programs and also use one of the CC pedals for wah, and one for volume.

maltomario said:
hey guys,

I'm new here, my first post. I own a FCB1010 and currently use it with a Tech21 PSA-1 preamp / TC Electronics G-major. I've been considering upgrading my rig to an AxeFX unit, and wanted to clarify something. Am I understanding this correctly - an unmodified stock FCB1010 can *not* change programs on the AxeFX?

For instance, if I had the FCB1010 connected to an AxeFX, I could not navigate the patches using the bank up/down buttons and selecting program 1-10?

Trying to figure out if I need a new midi controller or not to get basic functionality out of the AxeFX system. I would love the ability to change programs and also use one of the CC pedals for wah, and one for volume.

I am not sure where you are getting this idea from but it worked fine for me with stock behringer firmware and later on with UnO chip.

Mik.

got the idea from a previous post - user said something to the effect that the fcb1010 does not do program changes. I must have interpreted that wrong.

Thanks for clearing it up. Rock on!

ok guys one more question..

my current rig i use a FCB1010 to switch programs, and i use a seperate wah pedal (budda bud-wah) since my old setup (psa-1 and a tc electronic g-major lacks wah features).

if i get an axefx, can i expect to simulate a realistic wah effect using just one of the 2 CC pedals on the FCB1010? does anyone have samples showing what a cc-controlled wah would sound like?

having just my fcb1010 out in front would simplify my wiring tremendously (no need to bring out wah pedal / 2 extra instrument cables), so i'm curious if this can be done or not.

thanks!
mario (who just ordered an axefx... woot!)

maltomario said:
ok guys one more question..

my current rig i use a FCB1010 to switch programs, and i use a seperate wah pedal (budda bud-wah) since my old setup (psa-1 and a tc electronic g-major lacks wah features).

if i get an axefx, can i expect to simulate a realistic wah effect using just one of the 2 CC pedals on the FCB1010?
Yes. I do.
does anyone have samples showing what a cc-controlled wah would sound like?
I think they're out there, but I have no idea which they are.
The Axe-FX lets you shape the curve that the pedal induces to great extent, anything is possible. Also the Q (width of the hill), top and bottom frequencies and several other idiosyncracies of Wah's are highly programmable. Several sets of settings have already been published on the WIKI, including the Clyde Wah, Bad Horsie and Ibanez WH10. I am very curious to the settings to replicate the Buddah Wah. With the auto-engage feature you can have the wah turn on with movement and off automatically at the heel-down position, or with some workaround at the toe-down position.
All you are left with is the mechanical shape of the pedal. It's slightly different as in pivot point, resistance, travel, etc. Typically that just takes some getting used to, but some have found that hard/impossible. Then you can modify actual wah pedals to work as expression pedals (lose the entrails and fix a different potmeter) which one could attach to expression pedal input at the back of the Axe-FX.
having just my fcb1010 out in front would simplify my wiring tremendously (no need to bring out wah pedal / 2 extra instrument cables), so i'm curious if this can be done or not.

thanks!
mario (who just ordered an axefx... woot!)
Congratulations Mario!

wow this is goign to be fun!

I am looking forward to gigging with just a 2x12, a small rack and a FCB1010. I thought my old system was pretty fast to setup / sound check but this new rig will be even simpler.

thanks dutch!

Hello, and thanks for your reply.
I have a problem with my fcb1010 and axe-fx. I want to use two delays in one preset, I push "7" in the fcb1010 and two delays turn on or turn off at the same time. I want to use one "push" to turn on delay 1 and turn off 2. Idem with overdrives, in overdrives i push "6". I have the chip uno, it´s possible to do it.

Another question, to use one pedal like a whammy, what can i do it?

Thanks at all.

migueledge said:
Hello, and thanks for your reply.
I have a problem with my fcb1010 and axe-fx. I want to use two delays in one preset, I push "7" in the fcb1010 and two delays turn on or turn off at the same time. I want to use one "push" to turn on delay 1 and turn off 2. Idem with overdrives, in overdrives i push "6". I have the chip uno, it´s possible to do it.

Several ways to do that:
set both delays in parallel (one in row 1, one in row 3) and connect them both to a MIXER-block. Use an External Controller (7 for instance).
In the mixer. set gain1 and gain3 both to source external7.
set gain1 start to 100% and end to 0%
set gain3 start to 0% and end to 100%

migueledge said:
Another question, to use one pedal like a whammy, what can i do it?

Thanks at all.

use a PITCH block
set type to Cl. Whammy
on page2:
adjust mode
select an external controller in control

voes said:
everal ways to do that:
set both delays in parallel (one in row 1, one in row 3) and connect them both to a MIXER-block. Use an External Controller (7 for instance).

Thanks voes
Yes, it work, but i think that lose the "trails", any suggestion?

migueledge said:
voes said:
everal ways to do that:

Thanks voes
Yes, it work, but i think that lose the "trails", any suggestion?

since english is not my native language I don't know what you are trying to say :cry:

migueledge said:
ype to Cl. Whammy
on page2:
adjust mode
select an external controller in control

Ok, but the fcb don´t "learn" the pedals. can you explain how to do it?

what do you mean by that?

Back
Top Bottom