FCB1010

Hello all.
I would first like to thank Voes for the extensive write-ups and instructions here and on his site, as well as the many people offering assistance on the forum. Programming this stuff takes a lot of time and effort, and supporting others in getting things set up takes a lot of back-and-forth and repetition of tips and advice. Thanks for all the support and patience!

I've made some progress with my FCB1010, but I'm still having some issues. I have the Uno chip, latest firmware (v.1.0.3, and as Voes mentioned in the FAQ on his site, it shows up as v.1.0.2.g in Ripwerx), and my USB-MIDI interface is an E-MU Xmidi 1x1. I've tried Windows 7 64-bit as well as Windows Vista, and I'm controlling an Axe-FX Ultra. I've had mixed results using Ripwerx and the PC Editor for FCB1010.

I've followed the instructions in the "getting started guide" from Voes several times, making sure to initialize the extended memory, set to stompbox mode, and enable sysex receive.

I'm having some issues similar to JJunkie, who posted in one of the first few pages of this thread.

This is happening to me as well; I've tried waiting up to 5 minutes, but the FCB never comes to life after this point. I have to turn the FCB off and then on again in order to fiddle around again. I also get the “____ bytes sent” message.

Another poster said:

When I go through the step that involves holding down 1 and 9 while powering up, the display counts down as expected. When I do the next step involving 1 and 10, the FCB never counts down; if I recall correctly it goes blank indefinitely until I press UP, then returns to displaying "00". I was very careful when installing the Uno chip, and I opened the up the FCB again after reading the above suggestion, but the chip is oriented correctly and close inspection of the pins indicates that nothing was broken or bent during installation.

The procedure to enable sysex receive seems to work fine, and if I go into the global config menu at a later time, LED 7 is still lit.

I've tried sending the sample Ripwerx sysex file that Voes had posted somewhere, but after doing this (and after the FCB shuts down as described above), when I "get patch dump" in Ripwerx, everything is clearly messed up, with crazy numbers everywhere they shouldn't be. A similar thing happens with the PC Editor, but I actually had the most success to date by sending my desired sysex using that program. Even though the "receive patch dump" command returns a mixed-up layout with crazy PC and CC numbers and messed-up global options, when I connect the FCB to the Ultra, it partially works.

Here are some descriptions of what else is going on:

- The upper row of switches is set as stompboxes, and these are sending the proper CCs and turning on/off the appropriate effects, However, the LEDs don't match the starting bypass states of the effects, and in order to change the state of any effect I have to press the switch twice. JJunkie mentioned this as well:

- The expression pedals have been calibrated and programmed and are sometimes functioning now, but not consistently. Sometimes when I press "1" to go to the first preset, it comes up with both expression pedal LEDs on (as desired), and delay engaged as well (not desired). If I turn off the delay with its stomp switch, the expression LEDs also go out and I have no control over their functions. Sometimes when I press "1" again (which ideally would only send a "64" CC for tap tempo), the delay stays off but now the expression pedals/LEDs function again. This doesn't happen every time though.

It seems that I have a MIDI problem of some sort, but I’m not sure what to focus on first. Could my USB-MIDI interface be to blame (E-MU Xmidi 1x1)? Ripwerx does read the correct Uno firmware version from the FCB.

Does the blanking display during sysex receive indicate a problem with the FCB itself, or with the Uno chip?

Thanks again to Voes and to the many others who continue to provide assistance!

-Alex

I went through an ordeal about a week ago using the emu xmidi. What was happening to me was the PC editor software corrupted both my fcb's. I broke down and bought the uno control center software and it fixed all my issues. I was ready to send my eprom back.

Just touched a fcb1010 for a friend... Had the stock, eureka, and uno 103 proms. He was connecting to an ultra and by far uno was the way to go. ripwerx made programming a breeze after grabbing voes initial template to understand what things should look like. Only issue hit was sending from ripwerx back to fcb. The fcb screen would sometimes go black (incomplete midi transfer), other times tranfer would be okay and the numbers would come back. Simple work-around was saving to .syx file and transferring with midi-ox instead of from with-in ripwerx... perfect load everytime now. Fcb is actually a pretty cool controller for the price.

Started with eureka because that was what was in unit initially and hadn't touched a fcb before. Never again! Eureka prom made me feel like a complete midiot, just do not get that chip! Great reminder however on how much appreciate the no brainer plug and play setup the MFC-101 offers!

Thanks for your responses. The E-MU Xmidi 1x1 came with the Ultra when I bought it, and although I hadn't heard much about it on the forums, I initially didn't think it fell into the category of "the cheap MIDI interfaces" since it sells for $45 new. I have won an Ebay auction for a MIDIsport 2x4 (for $33 shipped!), and it should arrive within the next few days. I'll report back on whether or not this fixed my issues.

Thanks for the advice.
-Alex

I hooked up the new Midisport 2x4 tonight and it worked flawlessly. Now after sending the Ripwerx patch dump the FCB display blanks, but only for a few seconds, and then it's back to "00" and ready to control the Ultra.

Ripwerx makes this a breeze to set up, especially with the sample sysex that Voes provided. Thanks so much to everyone for all the publicly-available information, step-by-step guides, and forum assistance!

In case someone else is searching for this, here's a summary of my situation: I have a FCB1010 with the Uno chip and was having lots of trouble with sending sysex patch dumps to the FCB using my MIDI interface, which was the E-MU Xmidi 1x1. I purchased a used Midisport 2x4 and it solved all of my problems.

Hi Voes, newbie here.
If it's not too much, I seek your opinion regarding Ripwerx. I have the Uno 1.0.3 installed and followed all your instructions for setting up the stomp box mode on the FCB. Trouble is, I believe I successfully configured the FCB but when connected to my Ultra, the Ultra does not respond, e.g., whether I press any of the first 5 presets, the patches in the Ultra don't respond. I can't figure it out despite researching for a solution these past couple of days. Please advise me if any. Thank you very much and best regards. - Emilio (Philippines)

Last edited:
Hi Voes, newbie here.
If it's not too much, I seek your opinion regarding Ripwerx. I have the Uno 1.0.3 installed and followed all your instructions for setting up the stomp box mode on the FCB. Trouble is, I believe I successfully configured the FCB but when connected to my Ultra, the Ultra does not respond, e.g., whether I press any of the first 5 presets, the patches in the Ultra don't respond. I can't figure it out despite researching for a solution these past couple of days. Please advise me if any. Thank you very much and best regards. - Emilio (Philippines)

check this:
is fcb1010 midi out conncected to ultra midi in?
when pressing presets, does the green led (midi in) under the LCD screen lit?
if not, download Downloads - Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages and connect the fcb1010 to a midi-interface of a computer and check what that does

check this:
is fcb1010 midi out conncected to ultra midi in?
when pressing presets, does the green led (midi in) under the LCD screen lit?
if not, download Downloads - Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages and connect the fcb1010 to a midi-interface of a computer and check what that does

Good day. Yes, the FCB 1010 midi out was connected to the Ultra midi in. And yes, the green led is lit when in use.

It's just that the ultra is not responding. Am I suppose to configure something (I/0) on the ultra?

Best regards.

Good day. Yes, the FCB 1010 midi out was connected to the Ultra midi in. And yes, the green led is lit when in use.

It's just that the ultra is not responding. Am I suppose to configure something (I/0) on the ultra?

Best regards.

Well, that's good news. Now we know the FCB1010 is sending MIDI and the Ultra is revieving it.

Send me the sysex file from the fcb1010, I will see what I can do (although it's been ages ago I owned a FCB1010)

HI Voes,

New development - initially the midi green light is on (meaning it blinks whenever I press a patch 1 to 5) but after a while (2 minutes) the green light is off. I do not know if this is normal but the Ultra does not respond?

Now, I purchased the FCB UNO Control Center license to avail their firmware editor. Again I believe I configured it correctly, but the Ultra still does not respond. By the way, before I tried the stomp box mode set up, the FCB works with the Ultra on a basic set up of changing patches based on its chronological order, e.g., 1 to 100 plus.

I will send the sysex now. Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Thank you very much!

I'm having a strange problem with FCB1010 Uno and program changes. Every time I switch the preset my output2 goes muted.

The upper one mutes my output2 and the one below works fine.

FCB problem.jpg

I've modded the syx laxu shared here earlier (down on the picture). What's the difference that causes myt output2 to mute? This is driving me crazy. I've changed the stompbox mode on and made some minor changes. The preset buttons now go back to scene 1 and tap tempo has a dedicated cc button instead of tapping it from preset button.

Here's the syx file:
View attachment Axe fx 2 SB mode ja scenet.syx

I aslo noticed the Tap Tempo stomp box button reverts the output2 mute.

Last edited:
I've rooted the problem down to the "Stomp Box off" function when pressing a program change. This causes axe to some how quickly scroll through the scenes and the results are all kinds of goofiness. My axe even froze a couple of times. :shock

With Ripwerx you have a Midi Echo function that will display on your screen what comes out of the Midi out port of your FCB. Plse apply & send in a screen shot.
Cheers

Voes, as a new Axe user (just got my Ultra and FCB1010 last week), I just wanted to say that your guides were absolutely invaluable in planning and teching my rig. As a matter of fact, I had the FCB1010 w/ Uno and Ultra fully programmed within 30 minutes of getting them in the same room thanks to your guides and software. Keep on kicking ass, we appreciate it!

Voes, your guides helped me get my new FCB1010 w/UNO setup as well. But I'm struggling with just one item I want to accomplish, and I posted this as a new thread as well. Could you please help me with understanding if this is even possible and if so how ?

I aplogize if this has been answered before somewhere, I searched and read forum posts for about a week and tried different settings to no avail, so I decided to ask this over here. Could you guys please tell me if this is possible with the Behringer FCB1010 w/UNO chip, and if so how do I do it.

I want to have a patch that when pressed has the WAH but, as long as EXP 2 is not moved (Either heel up or toe down position), the WAH does not turn on. As soon as I want to "use" the wah, it turns on. Is this possible, and if so how ? I messed with the Autoengage functions but I'm reading that what it controls is when the WAH turns off and not on. I just want to be able to select a patch with ONE press, and then once I want to use the WAH, I just move the EXP controller I have assigned to it, and it engages and functions. Once I'm done, hopefully Autoengage will help me get the WAH turned off.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !!

Cheers :)
-Suni

I want to have a patch that when pressed has the WAH but, as long as EXP 2 is not moved (Either heel up or toe down position), the WAH does not turn on. As soon as I want to "use" the wah, it turns on. Is this possible, and if so how ? I messed with the Autoengage functions but I'm reading that what it controls is when the WAH turns off and not on. I just want to be able to select a patch with ONE press, and then once I want to use the WAH, I just move the EXP controller I have assigned to it, and it engages and functions. Once I'm done, hopefully Autoengage will help me get the WAH turned off.

Autoengage should work fine for this. When you switch to a patch containing a wah block with autoengage set, the wah block will be bypassed (off) by default. When you move the expression pedal towards toe down by a small amount the wah block will engage (turn on) automatically. The FAST/MED/SLOW settings control how long it takes before the wah turns off when you go fully heel down- this allows you to rock the wah with the full range of the pedal's motion without the wah switching off and on every time you briefly go heel down.

Hi everyone!

I programmed my FCB with UnO yesterday to achieve the following:
upper row, Stomp boxes: scene 2 | scene 3 | delay | chorus | wah
lower row, patches: patch 50 + scene 2 | patch 51 + scene 3 | patch 52 | patch 53 | patch 54

Stomp boxes were programmed to be on/off so that the LEDS remain true to patch setting, however, when I select patch 50 *after* patch 51 scene 3 will be selected no matter what because the OFF setting for stompbox 2 triggers scene 3 and the 2nd CC is sent after the first CC. Anyone have a clue on how to dial this in?

Cheers,
Michiel

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you expect the two stomps assigned to scenes 2 & 3 to function (at least LED wise) in combination with scene selection of the presets. Are you expecting them to match the scene selection from the patch setting? Sorry, but that's not going to work because the FCB is a one way communication, it can't receive the current setting from the Axe that the preset just made. They'll always be one of the three options for them: "ON", "OFF", "N.C." (no change). But onto solving your problem...

You'll loose the LED indicator for your stomp scenes but I think your best solution will be...

(1) set stomps 1 & 2 setting IN EACH PRESET to be "N.C." as opposed to "OFF". That way nothing is sent when you press a preset button.

(2) make "stomps" 1 & 2 momentary type instead of stomp type. If you don't make the stomp scene controllers momentary then you may have to double tap them to get your new desired setting.

Thanks DTownSMR, I was hoping for some kind of setting that would turn off the LED for the stompbox but would refrain from sending in a value (like: have a -1 or something as alternate value for the #34 CC on the stompbox). But I guess that may not be possible.

Too bad, I'll think about the momentary setup!

Cheers,
Michiel

Anyone figured out how to get the LED's to follow the scene change buttons with UNO chip. I have patch control bottom row including scene1 working and top row with scen2,3,4,5,6.
The issue is still led scene 2 not switching off when changing to scene 3 etc. Someone wrote a solution with a hardware and software change but is their another eprom solution.
Thanks nickxmix

Back
Top Bottom