FCB1010

Can anyone vouch for the build quality of the FCB1010? I went to a national store to buy one and was advised against getting this due to poor build quality. The guy reported that he had numerous units returned with broken latches/pedals and EPROM failure. Any comments from current users? The alternative I was considering is the roland FC300. Looks like my GT10 which is solid in construction.

Ask him to show you the "numerous units". Except when jumpin on it from the next floor or throwing it out of your car at 90mph I don't see how to break the unit easily.

FCB is not the most versatile midi pedal in the world, but quite well built and probably has the best price/quality ratio ever seen.

The only negative points about it are IMHO it's size and weight but that's about it. People that complain about transformer noise of the FCB might try to play in a band and report if the problem persists while playing. Further I'd appreciate a new product that would enable transmission of full size midi-message "sysex" strings for parameter direct access (which would enable you to control practically ANY parameter of the axe) But as far as I can understand from users of other midipedals, other pedals can't neither...so what the heck

I've been happy with my TWO FCB1010s. My gigging one has been on the road for practices/gigs for 3 years. Not a single hiccup.

WOW!

Nope. What you see is what you get unless you plan on hacking it up like I did which was a pretty big task. And I cheated and used the two controller inputs on the back of the Axe-FX for tap tempo and tuner.

IMG_2069.jpg

You can see in the picture where the cables for the extra switches go into my multi-pair cable.

shasha,

That's really cool!

Did you do the mechanical & electronic mods yourself? (I see from the way the LEDS are lit-up in the photo that you're "UNO-equipped" too!) It looks like you used the SWITCH1 & SWITCH2 jacks for your dedicated-functionality (Tap-Tempo; Tuner) The only problem I'd have is that my Size-13 (EEEE-width) shoe-size/foot would hit Tap-Tempo, Reverb-Toggle, and Bank-Down all at the same time - LOL!

I think Behringer would sell plenty of units like yours - at a higher price-point obviously - definitely worth an extra $100. - $150. (IMO) added to the normal base-price! I just use an old non-UNO version, but I'm just starting to implement it with my Axe-FX II...

Bill

My Axe 2 and FCB1010 will arrive tomorrow can't wait!

But I'm not sure if I will need an uno chip for the FCB or not.
All I would like to be able to do with it is
-move up and down through presets (don't need to be able to jump to a certain one)
-turn off and on a few effects
-one expression pedal for wah where it starts working when you start using it, I would want this on for every axe preset
-the other expression pedal I would like to use for different things depending on the preset, usually to control the intensity or other parameter of an effect block (most cases it will be flanger or pitch shifter)

Could I do this with the stock FCB1010 or will I need an uno eprom?

Thanks!

My Axe 2 and FCB1010 will arrive tomorrow can't wait!

But I'm not sure if I will need an uno chip for the FCB or not.
All I would like to be able to do with it is
-move up and down through presets (don't need to be able to jump to a certain one)
-turn off and on a few effects
-one expression pedal for wah where it starts working when you start using it, I would want this on for every axe preset
-the other expression pedal I would like to use for different things depending on the preset, usually to control the intensity or other parameter of an effect block (most cases it will be flanger or pitch shifter)

Could I do this with the stock FCB1010 or will I need an uno eprom?

Thanks!

A stock FCB could do this with 100% certainty. The only issue you'd have is turning on/off effects having a matching LED status. UnO would allow you to have a dedicated stomp row with LEDs that would maintain on/off state LEDs accurately.

I got my UnO eprom today but I've been battling with this problem for hours already and I can't seem to fix it. It's just so weird...

I've changed my FCB1010 UnO to stompbox mode and tried to use bottom row for Program Changes and upper as stompbox. When I use the bottom row for Program Change, it always changes the preset on AFX2 to 97 (changes it to 98 when I change the bank to >1, wtf?) no matter what I change it for the Program Change 1-5. I tried it and it works the same when I change the stompbox to the bottom row. Program Change works fine with the stompbox buttons, but that's not what I want. Control Change also works fine without stompbox feature. I've tried the factory reset multiple of times but no use.

Is it just me or is it the brand new eprom that's broken? Version is 1.0.3. I can't send you any sysex files nor try using any external programs since I only have one MIDI cable and no MIDI interface.

EDIT: also the last LED light of the stompbox row doesn't stay on. Is it supposed to be like this?

Last edited:
hey guys,

this problem has been bugging me for ages. just wondering if its happened to any of you or if you have found a way out..

FCB UNO... my expression pedal B will keep stuffing with the tempo, even though the tempo cc is completely different from the expression pedal cc. It seems to randomly change the tempo time, rather than "control" it

Can anyone help?

When you remove the screws to access the internals,they will strip out the mounting struts when reassembling the unit. The aluminum strut mounts are very soft. Use Loctite or heavy nail polish on the screw thread and head when you reassemble the unit. Mine has sympathetic "buzzing" from the power transformer due to loose construction. I guess I missed a spot and don't want to strip the damned thing out again.
I must have opened mine up dozens of times. All the threads are still fine. And I use a power drill so no subtlety there. Lost lots of screws, though, they loosen up with throwing the thing around the football field.

Maybe I got an older one (got it used) cause it would appear the inserts on mine are iron. I'll check next time I open her up.

Mine is starting to act up lately, but anything would after the abuse she endured. Actually normal use, just lots of it and I wasn't real careful.

hey guys,

this problem has been bugging me for ages. just wondering if its happened to any of you or if you have found a way out..

FCB UNO... my expression pedal B will keep stuffing with the tempo, even though the tempo cc is completely different from the expression pedal cc. It seems to randomly change the tempo time, rather than "control" it

Can anyone help?

See with sendsx or MIDI-Ox what MIDI commands the pedal is putting out when this glitching occurs. Pm me with the results.

I'm having some trouble with my FCB1010 (with Uno). For some reason there are few patches that always have some effects disabled or enabled even though they aren't stored that way on the preset. Any idea what's causing this? if it helps I can upload the patches later on.

I'm having some trouble with my FCB1010 (with Uno). For some reason there are few patches that always have some effects disabled or enabled even though they aren't stored that way on the preset. Any idea what's causing this? if it helps I can upload the patches later on.

If you set up your FCB with Voes instructions, make sure you have the check boxes (5 of them) set to what you are expecting. I believe 'NC' is no change so it'll leave the preset alone but the stomp boxes won't be in sync with the preset. (Say you have a preset with distortion 'ON'. If your foot sw 1 is for your distortion and you have the check box for that switch, as 'NC', when the preset is selected the distortion will be 'ON' but your foot switch will not reflect that.) Hope that made sense

if Checkbx is 'UNCHECKED' = the effect associated will ALWAYS be OFF when the preset is selected and you must press on your footswitch to turn it on
is 'CHECKED' = the effect will ALWAYS be ON
is 'NC' = the effect will be in the same state as when you saved the preset. Your footswitch needs to be 'calibrated' (by pressing it once to match the state of the effect if it was different)

Man, I hope Im not confusing you. Just try it and you'll know what I mean. Hahahah

If anyone can explain better I beg you to go ahead. lol

I must have opened mine up dozens of times. All the threads are still fine. And I use a power drill so no subtlety there. Lost lots of screws, though, they loosen up with throwing the thing around the football field.

Maybe I got an older one (got it used) cause it would appear the inserts on mine are iron. I'll check next time I open her up.

Mine is starting to act up lately, but anything would after the abuse she endured. Actually normal use, just lots of it and I wasn't real careful.
Just opened her up and put a magnet to the insert and the magnet sticks. So the inserts on mine have at least some iron and definitely are not aluminium.

The FCB does not poll for what is stored in the Axe-Fx. It just sends a PC with a number of IA messages attached. If there is stuff attached to those IA's in your preset than they will match the state that is programmed into the FCB. The Axe just does what the FCB tells it to do. If you always want them on when you select that preset you have to program the FCB to send those IA messages as on. Or as nc (No Change) which will keep it as is.

Ah, yes. I took a look at the settings I had transmitted and found the problem. :) Going to try the new setup as soon as I get my FCB back to home.

See with sendsx or MIDI-Ox what MIDI commands the pedal is putting out when this glitching occurs. Pm me with the results.

Hey Dutch, thanks for the help.. as you requested in PM, here is my patch dump.

Attachments

• patch dump.syx
    2.3 KB · Views: 10
Hey Dutch, thanks for the help.. as you requested in PM, here is my patch dump.

Well, you have the midi channel for EXP B set to 105. That's odd because they usually only go to 16. If I send that file into my FCB it also does the weird things. Change the EXP B midi channel to 1 and press enter, send it into the FCB and it shows CC data, just like EXP A. If that's your only problem, I guess that's it. But.

You also have some stuff that is conflicting, like preset 3-3 and 5-5 where the CNT-1 column is set to 26 with a value of 0, and then stomp1 is checked so it sends the S6 which is also #26 with a value of 127. If you look at the Ripwerx's Midi Watch Window (nifty feature, says stuff in a more understandable way than Midi-Ox, I really don't have those hex values memorized) and press the patch 3-3 you will see it send something like this:

Program Change 018 on MIDI channel 01 (0xc0 0x11)
CC - Cont: 026, Val: 000 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x1a 0x00)
CC - Cont: 036, Val: 000 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x24 0x00)
CC - Cont: 026, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x1a 0x7f)
CC - Cont: 025, Val: 000 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x19 0x00)
CC - Cont: 050, Val: 000 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x32 0x00)
CC - Cont: 028, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x1c 0x7f)
CC - Cont: 036, Val: 127 on MIDI channel 01 (0xb0 0x24 0x7f)

So, there's CC 26 on line 2 sending 0 and on line 4 sending 127.

Same thing with CC 36 (CNT 2 and S-10) on line 3 and 7. Your tap-tempo CC is set to 36. You have both a stomp (S10) and CNT 2 mapped to it. So it will send a #36 command two times with each preset change. If you want to have tap tempo on stomp 5 you should turn the whole CNT 2 row off.

All in all. If you really want to be totally safe, I'd wipe the FCB clean with Voes's "ready for use" tut, recalibrate the pedals for good measure, start a fresh Ripwerx file and reprogram the whole thing with your preferred settings. I had an empty .syx for FCB somewhere, but can't find it right now.

Last edited:
thanks man. I think some of the problem for me was that years ago when I first got the FCB, I couldn't get Ripwerx to play nice, every time I tried to program the FCB from RIpwerx, it sent corrupt data, so I ended up programming each patch manually on the FCB, and i probably made mistakes.

The other thing, I was (and and still am in many ways) a total MIDI noob. so in the CTRL tab of the axe-fx I/O menu, I basically assigned a CC number to all parameters, which obviously wasnt necessary.

I think try to reprogram using ripwerx.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom