FCB1010 Re-house project

tubetonez

Experienced
I've decided to re-house my FCB1010, after using it for a couple of years it does everything I need except tuner display or patch names. I don't use a lot of patches live anyway, not a big deal.

But I don't like the size of it, and I don't like the expression pedals. I really only want one exp pedal, and prefer to use something like the Mission pedal with a switch. The FCB pedals are too close together for me, I'm always bumping the other pedal or the bank down switch.

I don't need the external latch switches, so will leave them out. Phantom power via Midi, custom wire a 7 to 5 pin cable.

The expression pedals will be replaced by TRS 1/4" jacks. I've already tested the wiring on this, I was a little concerned since the Behringer uses opto-electric pots but it works fine with a 100k pot. I'm pretty sure I can wire one of them to function as an I/A switch, to connect one pedal with a switch.

Bank up/down is on top. Switches with 3" spacing horizontally and vertically, the box will be about 14.5" x 8" x 1.25" - not sure about the height but I'm determined to make it fit in 1U of rack space.

Still debating about LED colors, I'm thinking a different color for each stomp.
newbox.jpg

Re: FCB1010 hardware mod

Cool project! Keep us informed on the progress (with pictures)

I'll put up some pics, I've ordered the parts and hope to have it ready by the weekend provided everything gets here by then.

good luck with the project!

Have you checked how the current pedals work? If they're resistive pots then easy, but if they use some other type of sensor (hall effect or maybe light sensor) it might be a little tricker.

tubetonez said:
I've decided to re-house my FCB1010[/img]

Really cool idea! Makes me wonder.. rather than re-house, what would it take to go one step further and build an FCB1010 clone from all parts? You can buy the UnO firmware chip, so the software\programming part is covered. I'm pretty naive :D but it seems all you'd need to do is get an eeprom socket, connect it to a circuit board and copy all the traces/connections, then buy an appropriate LED or LCD numerical display to go alond with the metal box, jacks and footswitches you are already buying.

If that was do-able, you could leave your FCB untouched.. sell it or keep it as a backup.

GM Arts said:
good luck with the project!

Have you checked how the current pedals work? If they're resistive pots then easy, but if they use some other type of sensor (hall effect or maybe light sensor) it might be a little tricker.

Yes, I have wired in a 100k pot and it works, seems to be standard 5v control voltage. So the opto-electrical circuit functions as a variable resistor, it's not a sensor.

I believe I can wire up one to work with a footswitch instead of a pedal, might have to add a fixed resistor. As long as it can toggle between two values, it can function as an IA.

Robboman said:
tubetonez said:

Really cool idea! Makes me wonder.. rather than re-house, what would it take to go one step further and build an FCB1010 clone from all parts? You can buy the UnO firmware chip, so the software\programming part is covered. I'm pretty naive :D but it seems all you'd need to do is get an eeprom socket, connect it to a circuit board and copy all the traces/connections, then buy an appropriate LED or LCD numerical display to go alond with the metal box, jacks and footswitches you are already buying.

If that was do-able, you could leave your FCB untouched.. sell it or keep it as a backup.

There are quite a few other components than just the eprom, that's just "read only memory." I wouldn't try to clone this, there are better platforms available - still not my cup of tea, I'll leave the programming to those inclined. The brains of the FCB are already housed on a circuit board about 9" x 1.5", same size as the display which is on top of it. Everything else plugs into this board, it can fit into a much smaller package.

Robboman said:
tubetonez said:

I think buying all these parts (and the available more expensive counterparts to unavailable Behringer parts) would be a hugely more expensive matter than buying a brand new FCB. Not to mention putting it together. It's the cheapest MIDI FC on the market. By far!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially used.

sweet man...
it could be done with minimal features...
a few snips, drills and bends...
My buttons are not in proportion... I didnt have one to model... :?

Untitled-1-6.jpg

Untitled-2-5.jpg

Untitled-3-4.jpg

Or I THINK it could be assembled this way... may have to adjust some cuts or perhaps just flex out the flanges upon assembly...

Call it M.C.1010 :lol:

And just because I get a kick out of this stuff!!!
here is one with some graphics on it :mrgreen:

Untitled-4-2.jpg

are you going to use the status LEDs in the rehouse?

Damn!!! That's freaking cool!!!! Kind of what the LF Jr should have looked like.

guitarded said:
are you going to use the status LEDs in the rehouse?

You mean the footswitch LED's? Yes, but I'm going to use different sizes/colors. I won't put the expression pedal LED's on, but hopefully can rig one LED to show the status of an external switch plugged into exp pedal two. Because I want to use a pedal with a switch like the Mission.

Still waiting on parts :-(

Parts finally arrived this week, I'm going to start making the box. The green board circled in red, along with the small MIDI jack board at upper right, are all I will be using from the FCB. The big blue circuit boards are basically cheap ways to connect and mount switches & LED's. The green circle is the loose 100K pot that I wired up to check the external expression pedal connection.

fcb1010a.jpg

Quite a selection of LED's, still haven't decided on a color scheme. There is Red, Green & Yellow Diffused, and the others are high brightness Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange, Violet, & White. Maybe something like Green - Yellow - Red - Blue - Purple for Clean, Crunch, Heavy, Lead, & SFX patch on the 5 preset switches.

fcb1010b.jpg

I've now tested the switching and LED connections, and worked out the wiring. Next step is building the enclosure.

I'd go
White=Clean
Green=Crunch (green Tube Screamer)
Orange=Heavy (orange Boss DS-1)
Red=Lead (red Keeley Fuzz Head/Lead Boost)

:mrgreen:

Dang!!! :shock:

Keep us posted on this! I dig the metal buttons instead of the plastic ones

I am working on getting the enclosure CNC'd, hopefully will have it by next week. Everything else is ready to go. Tried to cobble one up myself but lack the proper tools.

tubetonez said:
I am working on getting the enclosure CNC'd, hopefully will have it by next week. Everything else is ready to go. Tried to cobble one up myself but lack the proper tools.
If you would have some time you could try a tech-school. You know, a highschool where they train people for factory work. They might like a project like that. They usually have good metal workshops. I know a guy that has a metal shop in his backyard shed. builds Cobra-type cars for his hobby and teaches at such a school.

Great project BTW!!!

I've been thinking of cutting mine in two, seperating the pedals from the buttons and reattach with hinges to fold them back. That would make the pedal much easier to transport. But this discovery about a pot working too opens up possibilities.

Pretty easy to make your own expression pedal BTW.
Usually they use 10K linear pots. Get one of those cheap wah's from China (like $25) rip out the guts and put that pot in. If you want to go perfect get a momentary switch and you can do the total wah thing. Total cost about $30.
I don't know if Mission does anything extra except spray paint and assembly, which is costly, BTW... But I am sure that this would work.

Back
Top Bottom