FCB1010 Pedal Calibration?

I got a new FCB1010 a couple of weeks ago and immediately calibrated the expression pedals. While doing so I noticed that they don't really start to send values until the pedals are 50% down - ie the heel value starts at 07, then with the pedal 50% down the value is 09 and then there is a flurry of values until at 100% down the value reads E7.

I assumed the board was faulty and returned it for a replacement. The new one arrived today and it's exactly the same. Is this normal on these controllers and if so, how do you set a proper taper if the pedal isn't even sending values until the pedal is halfway down? :?

I've got 2 FCB pedals and neither give me this kind of trouble and both operate as expected with value changes through the entire throw of the pedals. Hmmm. Curious that 2 pedals have done the same exact thing for you. This usually indicates a problem elsewhere, but not for certain. Are you absolutely clear about how to calibrate the pedals? the FCB is not the easiest MIDI pedal to understand. This is not normal behavior, without a doubt. Given Behringer's checkered past with respect to QC, we can't rule out the possibility that you may in fact have gotten 2 pedals that have fouled optical devices in the exp pedals...dunno...my initial thought is that this isn't likely, though.

other than posting a video of your calibration process, and short of any other additional details, I've got nothing for you. =(

Have you tried tweaking the pedal's taper in your Axe-FX? What you described sounds similar to log taper operation.

Have you tried tweaking the pedal's taper in your Axe-FX? What you described sounds similar to log taper operation.

Have you ever done this on an FCB1010? If so, please do describe the process as I'd be interested to know how this is done. Thanks!

I've done it with my Ultra but I'm not the guy to explain exactly how. For me it was trial and error. I gave my wah a nice S shaped taper along with a few other tweaks and it's the best wah sound I've ever had. Maybe someone that has a much better grasp of how to do this sort of tweaking can chime in on how to do it.

I've done it with my Ultra but I'm not the guy to explain exactly how. For me it was trial and error. I gave my wah a nice S shaped taper along with a few other tweaks and it's the best wah sound I've ever had. Maybe someone that has a much better grasp of how to do this sort of tweaking can chime in on how to do it.

Sorry. My morning brain wasn't quite functioning when I read this. I think trying to make a taper adjustment in the AxeFx would be difficult considering the OP's issue of having a very small CC value change between toe UP and toe half down (07 to 09). I guess it's worth a try, but I'd doubt that the AxeFx would be able to account for such a small discrepancy and have it yield a useful result.

When you calibrate the FCB pedals internally, it displays the full range of values from toe up to toe town, so you can see exactly how the MIDI stream of data comes out of the pedal. If the OP isn't getting much activity as described from toe up thru toe half down, then that would indicate to me a mechanical issue with the optical sensor, and I don't know if that can be user adjusted (and that's what I thought you were talking about...oops!). Regardless, something doesn't seem right with the way the exp pedals are functioning, especially if BOTH pedals are doing that.

Have you taken a close look at the photovoltaic mechanism in the exp pedals, to see how they operate? There is a thin plastic strip that is slightly opaque, and IIRC, the amount of opaqueness changes from the top to the bottom of the strip, and this is how the optical element reads changes in value. Maybe there is something obstructing the plastic strip? I dunno...just throwing ideas out there...

Mediocrity, have you had any breakthroughs since your OP?

Press and hold both pedals #1 and #6 while turning the FCB1010 on. (this will restore factory default settings!)

Have you taken a close look at the photovoltaic mechanism in the exp pedals, to see how they operate? There is a thin plastic strip that is slightly opaque, and IIRC, the amount of opaqueness changes from the top to the bottom of the strip, and this is how the optical element reads changes in value. Maybe there is something obstructing the plastic strip? I dunno...just throwing ideas out there...

Mediocrity, have you had any breakthroughs since your OP?

Yes - it's definitely a physical problem rather than a calibration issue. I pulled it apart yesterday to see if I could tweak it. The LED wasn't properly aligned with the sensor, but when I realigned it, it actually made things even worse - the 'dead zone' was now about 80% of the pedal! I bent the LED back to where it started again and the dead zone is now back to 50%. I don't see how I can make it any better so I suppose I'll have to return this one as well.

I wish I'd got on the MFC list sooner!

Yes - it's definitely a physical problem rather than a calibration issue. I pulled it apart yesterday to see if I could tweak it. The LED wasn't properly aligned with the sensor, but when I realigned it, it actually made things even worse - the 'dead zone' was now about 80% of the pedal! I bent the LED back to where it started again and the dead zone is now back to 50%. I don't see how I can make it any better so I suppose I'll have to return this one as well.

I wish I'd got on the MFC list sooner!

Wow. That's a total bummer. Both of my FCBs are at least 6 years old. I wonder if there's something going on with slack quality control at Behringer these days (not really a new development, exactly). Even so, IMO, it is the best bang for the buck MIDI pedal out there. Though it may be frustrating, I'd keep trying until you get one that behaves, but I wouldn't blame you if the frustration isn't worth it anymore. Best of luck to you, and please do post back on this thread when you get things sorted and tell us where everything lands.

I am having exactly the same problem. Dead zone from 50% and below on a brand new FCB1010. I have tried recalibrating over and over again to no avail. Note I am not using a Fractal. I am using a TC Electronics G Force.

What is really odd is that when I go into my G Force, I can test the values of the two expression pedals using the two dials on the G Force. Even when I use the dials (not the foot pedals) I get the same results with dead zones below 50%.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I am wondering if the EPROM needs to be updated via one fo the vendours (EurekaPROM - EurekaSound!). Would that make a difference.

Thanks

What is really odd is that when I go into my G Force, I can test the values of the two expression pedals using the two dials on the G Force. Even when I use the dials (not the foot pedals) I get the same results with dead zones below 50%.

That sounds like a G-Force setup issue e.g. modifier start/mid/end at something like 0/0/100. If the knobs-as-externals mode worked as expected but only the pedals had a dead zone, that would be a clue the issue is with the pedal/FCB setup.

The way these optical pedals work is by sliding a thin piece of plastic in between the LED and a receiver with a dot matrix printed on it that goes from light to dark. The piece itself is worth about $0.30 and is a huge headache to get the part from Behringer. After long and hard trying to get mine fixed I just ended up buying a new board. However my tech suggested I might try one from Line 6. I will have to do it myself though cause at shop rates, him spending 2 hours is the same as me buying a new board.

anyways just thought I'd share my findings. My pedal was squeaking so I made the mistake of accidentally getting some WD-40 on the plastic strip when spraying the bolts and then when it rubbed on the LED, it rubbed the printed ink off and ruined my sensor.

+1 Bingo!

That sounds like a G-Force setup issue e.g. modifier start/mid/end at something like 0/0/100. If the knobs-as-externals mode worked as expected but only the pedals had a dead zone, that would be a clue the issue is with the pedal/FCB setup.

I looked into the CURVE of my effect in the G Force. It definately is set to 0/50/100. I set it to the INPUT parameter so that I could adjust the Input of the G Force.

I then set it to 0/0/100 AND I set the pedal to the midway point (on the second 0). I then strummed the guitar and manually increased the second 0 to 50. You cannot audibly here the increase between 0 and 50. It only becomes audible at about 65. So put another way 0/50/100 sounds the same as 0/0/100.

Still appears to the pedal calibration of the FCB1010 unless I am missing something.

Thanks

I looked into the CURVE of my effect in the G Force. It definately is set to 0/50/100. I set it to the INPUT parameter so that I could adjust the Input of the G Force.

I then set it to 0/0/100 AND I set the pedal to the midway point (on the second 0). I then strummed the guitar and manually increased the second 0 to 50. You cannot audibly here the increase between 0 and 50. It only becomes audible at about 65. So put another way 0/50/100 sounds the same as 0/0/100.

Still appears to the pedal calibration of the FCB1010 unless I am missing something.

Thanks

you mentioned before that the value knob on the T.C. unit yielded the same results. Is this still true? If so, then it would still indicate something with the T.C. Could it be that the effect doesn't "engage" (like an auto engage) until the control modifier gets beyond 50%? I don't know...I've used multiple FCB pedals with multiple G Force units and never had these problems. Unless you can confirm that an alternate controller works successfully with the T.C., I don't know what to suggest. Is it possible that the modifier control is set as an on/off switch rather than a continuous controller, somewhere in the settings or modifier parameters?

Yes I can confirm that the value knobs on the TC G Force yield the same results as the two Expression pedals. I can also confirm that the pedal does actually work between 57%-100%. You can hear the value changes. So it clearly cannot be set-up as an On/Off.

I think what I am hearing you say is that I should test a stand-alone expression pedal through the 1/4 jack on the G Force and see if this produces the same result. Alternatively I could hook-up the FCB1010 to another effects unit. The former is likely easier.

Note I bought the G Force used on ebay ($800).

Thanks

Yes I can confirm that the value knobs on the TC G Force yield the same results as the two Expression pedals. I can also confirm that the pedal does actually work between 57%-100%. You can hear the value changes. So it clearly cannot be set-up as an On/Off.

I think what I am hearing you say is that I should test a stand-alone expression pedal through the 1/4 jack on the G Force and see if this produces the same result. Alternatively I could hook-up the FCB1010 to another effects unit. The former is likely easier.

Note I bought the G Force used on ebay ($800).

Thanks

OK. If the value knobs on the TC behave the same as the FCB exp pedals, then there is something in the G Force (modifier control) that is causing this behavior. Does the control modifier "curve" look like a straight line going up from left to right? Regardless, yes, if you have a stand alone exp pedal that you can plug into the 1/4" pedal jack, give that a try and see how its operation compares. This should tell you one way or another who the culprit is. If it does the same as the FCB, then it is clearly an issue with the G Force (whether it be a Global setting somewhere, or something buried in the preset programming or modifier controls). Have you done a factory reset of the G-Force?

The G-Force is a cool unit - sort of a baby AxeFx. I wish I'd known of you before I sold both of mine for $600...we both could have made out better!

I can confirm that the curve is in fact a stratight going from 0% to 100%. I went into MOD, clicked on the relevant mark for Ext1 and INPUT and hit ENTER to call up the curve. I then played with the values in the Low/Mid/High. What I noticed that usign the normal straight line I could not hear any value changes at the mid point 50 and below. I then increased the midpoint from 50 to 70 and thus could hear the change at that mid-point.

I know there are global settings under I/O and then Control. I played with these two (Calibration/Curve/Alternating etc) but did not see any difference.

Will get back to you on the other pedal.

Did a factory reset when I purchased it. Will try that again.

Thanks

Try setting start/mid/end to something like 60/80/100, or set up a different modifier like 1-octave whammy w/ pitch block. That would make it easier to hear exactly how the pedal/dial are working.

Back
Top Bottom