FCB1010 looper controls

LAYGO

Experienced
(REPOST FROM ANOTHER THREAD)

I was trying to think of a way to use the looper w/o loosing my IAs of the stompbox row and it occurred to me to try an empty bank sending no PCs.

In Ripwerx:
- I setup bank 18 to send NO PCs
- I setup CNT2 on each preset to send the following:
18-1 or 18-6: 65 - 127 - 0 (record)
18-2 or 18-7: 66 - 127 - 0 (play)
18-3 or 18-8: 67 - 127 (play once) * * *
18-4 or 18-9: 68 - 127 - 0 (stack)
18-5 or 18-0: 69 - 127 - 0 (reverse)

Screenshot:
ripwerx-looper.jpg

* * * note the lack of the 0 on the toggle! The play once button behaves odd in that if it's already playing, turning it off won't stop the playback, but if you want to stutter, it'll take 2 presses to get it that way with the 127 - 0. Leaving it off makes stuttering the playback easier.

Be sure to upload the bank to the FCB!

On the Axe-FX:
- Hit I/O
- Page over to CTRL
- Scroll down until you see Looper & set the following:
Looper1 Rec: 65
Looper1 Play: 66
Looper1 Once: 67
Looper1 Dub: 68
Looper1 Rev: 69

Update 2/2012: The default AFX2 CCs for looper are listed below. Simply use those CCs w/o having to configure AFX2:
Looper Record 28
Looper Play 29
Looper Once 30
Looper Dub 31
Looper Rev 32
Looper Bypass 33

The only downfalls:
- The LED's don't toggle, but you probably already expected that since it's standard FCB behavior not on the stompbox row
- You lose another 5 presets & 1 bank. I don't expect ever to need 90-100 presets anyways, no big deal. In fact, I was thinking of making every other bank Looper Controls. ;) Now if you have a looper in every patch in your typical preset row, you can loop just about every single sound you'd ever want!

Notes:
- It doesn't matter if you use CNT1 or CNT2, but I've saved CNT1 for tap tempo on my presets, but CNT1 is off for this bank.
- You can choose whatever CCs to use the looper controls in Ripwerx, just match them in the Axe & vice versa.
- Again, doesn't matter what bank you use, just remember which one! It could be every odd or even one or several in a row. Just as long as that bank doesn't send any PCs. (Well, you could send PCs too, but it'd be goofy)
- You are assigning these functions to a PC row, not your stompbox row, you can still toggle effects for the patch you're on & if you have a looper in another patch, you can switch to that patch w/o losing the recording! If you switch to a patch w/o a looper, goodbye loop.

Enjoy

UPDATE: I was reading on someone else using the CC toggling momentary mode of the FCB & I figured I'd give it try to see if it makes sense . . . . . and it does.

You'd hold down the button to record & let up to stop recording. To do this you need to set the following for the same CC's for your looper controls at CNT1 or CNT2 (whichever):
18-1 or 18-6: 65 - 127 - 1 (record)
18-2 or 18-7: 66 - 127 - 0 (play)
18-3 or 18-8: 67 - 127 (play once)
18-4 or 18-9: 68 - 127 - 1 (stack)
18-5 or 18-0: 69 - 127 - 0 (reverse)

Once you've set Record/Stack to 127 - 1, uncheck the box next to the 1 & it'll gray out the box with the 1 in it. Now you've enabled CC toggling in momentary mode. To record, simply hold down the pedal, let up & it'll immediately start playing. Same with the stack button . . .

(Notice the phantom power mod!)
DSCF1307.JPG

If you look at the top row on my FCB, you'll notice little stickers to the right of the buttons. Those are my looper control indicators.

RECORD - PLAY - ONCE - STACK - REVERSE

The once is a 1, stack kinda looks like a book shelf, and reverse an arrow going backwards. They're made from the left over ends of the labeler.

The last thing I do is have my looper the 1st thing in the chain & all my effects after (delay/tremolo/fx loop to another delay). That way I can have some randomness for one particular patch I have.

Last edited:
pure genius. Thans a friggin million, i was starting to think the FCB was a mistake...i can totally manage this way.

I'm just learning the Ax and the FCB so this is extremely helpful! Thanks for posting...I was wondering what you use the stomps labeled CTL1 and CTL2 for?

carterpiano said:
I'm just learning the Ax and the FCB so this is extremely helpful! Thanks for posting...I was wondering what you use the stomps labeled CTL1 and CTL2 for?

Instead of having it be always on/off for a single effect, I took the behavior from my old GT-8. I can assign what CTL1/2 does per patch, vs global.

On some patches it's my lead boost, on others it turns on/off my effects loop and on another it is another delay with different settings.

My "Modul8" button works the same too, but differently. I assign the same CC to Reverb/Chorus and 1 other I'm forgetting to turn on/off specific modulation in a patch. If you have both chorus/reverb in a single patch, it'll turn them both on/off, but if you only have one or the other, it'll only turn that one off.

I followed these instructions and I can make loops but any press of the looper controls is bypassing any effects that are turned on in the preset I'm playing through?!? The loop is being recorded but the delay block (looper), and all other blocks in the preset that have a stomp switch assigned to their bypass function, are going to bypass as soon as you step on any looper switch.

EDIT TO ADD: Problem solved

I just needed to add the "NC" (no change) to the stomps in the bank used for looper control.

Don't use the looper, but I do appreciate ingenuity. :mrgreen:

People dog on Behringer and the FCB1010 and I can understand a lot of the arguments, but the FCB1010 is one of the absolute best purchases I ever made. I bought mine 7 years ago used and beat to death already and have used it almost everyday since then without a single issue...ever. The UNO mod is absolutely fantastic as well.

I've since modded mine pretty heavily (IMO anyway) and even with other 'prettier' pedals out there that supposedly do more I can't imagine an easier, better and of course cost effective (i.e., cheaper) way to pull off so much.

Didn't mean to get all ranty on here, just wanted to give a thumbs up to another good solution.

Thanks Shasha. I noticed my links in my sig were broken by the forum upgrade, so I'm fixing them & noticed your posts. I went searching for your posts on your mod because of what I saw you had done.

i am totally lost with this!! can anyone help me! I want to simply have my looper controls on the top row and my 5 patches on the bottom, I want to be able to loop all of them and they all have loopers in the patch. I set everything as it is on here and seriously cannot get anything to work. Is it like, I have to have my CTRL2 function turned on for it to loop my patches? How do I activate the CTRL2 function if thats what I have my looper controls on?? How do I set the bank for no patch changes (im assuming thats what you mean by send no PCs) and still change my tone while STILL using the looper. Please someone help me!!!!

"Go to I/O > Ctrl to assign the looper controls (such as Play and Record) to switches on a floor controller. Use a latching switch for Play/Stop and momentary switches for Record, Stack and Play Once."

Via Yek's Axe-Fx II wiki page.

i am totally lost with this!! can anyone help me! I want to simply have my looper controls on the top row and my 5 patches on the bottom, I want to be able to loop all of them and they all have loopers in the patch. I set everything as it is on here and seriously cannot get anything to work. Is it like, I have to have my CTRL2 function turned on for it to loop my patches? How do I activate the CTRL2 function if thats what I have my looper controls on?? How do I set the bank for no patch changes (im assuming thats what you mean by send no PCs) and still change my tone while STILL using the looper. Please someone help me!!!!

Do you have the UnO firmware? If you're assigning the looper controls to your IA row, then it won't work as intended. The point of this thread is to use a PC bank with UnO for looper controls. The basic idea behind it though can apply to ANY pedal.

If you don't have UnO, this will still work, but the buttons you use should be sending CC only, no PC, and only the CC for the looper controls.

In Ripwerx, to send no PCs, it's as simple as unchecking the boxes for PGM CHG. Amazing huh?

I do not have UNO, I dont really wanna mess with that. I'm not worried about using stompboxes and being able to turn off delay compression and EQ on individual patches. I just wanna be able to loop my 5 patches and switch between those 5 patches.

I have since got it working a little bit. I havent even used ripwerx. Just been programming on the FCB. I got it to do some looping but only on my first patch. every other patch behaves odd that if I had the record on earlier, when im on my 2, 3, 4, or 5, patch and switch back to my #1. it will start to loop what I played on that patch. for my #6 button which is supposed to be my looper record, I have the 1 LED on for switch 1 which would make it latching right? and then I have the 7 on for control change right? the control change is matched up to the axe fx and has a 127 at the end. As do the others but they dont have any latching switch #1 on them, just the 7 CC. Besides my stack button which i thought was supposed to have a latch as well. I also cannot get it to start looping when I let my foot off of record for the death of me.

thanks for chiming in I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure how to achieve it all via programming via the pedal, I never once did that & used RipWerx exclusively. It's easy, intuitive, and . . . easy. You don't need UnO for most of it. Although, I think the toggling between Momentary/Latching *MIGHT* (IIRC) be UnO only. Having the LED on/off has nothing to do with the Momentary/Latching.

Also, IIRC, RipWerx works without UnO, but I seem to remember they saying something that older firmware not being supported or no longer going to support stock & support UnO only. Something like that. It's been a few years since I've messed with programming my FCB.

Plopping in an UnO chip is all of 5 mins of work. It is not difficult at all.

I'm not sure how to achieve it all via programming via the pedal, I never once did that & used RipWerx exclusively. It's easy, intuitive, and . . . easy. You don't need UnO for most of it. Although, I think the toggling between Momentary/Latching *MIGHT* (IIRC) be UnO only. Having the LED on/off has nothing to do with the Momentary/Latching.

Also, IIRC, RipWerx works without UnO, but I seem to remember they saying something that older firmware not being supported or no longer going to support stock & support UnO only. Something like that. It's been a few years since I've messed with programming my FCB.

Plopping in an UnO chip is all of 5 mins of work. It is not difficult at all.
Yes, that happened to me, I got the FCB 1010 without the UNO, and went to use Ripwerx, it won't let you. You need to get the Uno. I just went and got the Eureka chip instead, but it was because of this fact mainly, I didn't want to keep looking for an editor. I wanted to play, damn it gumby.

Axe Fx w/ FCB1010 no Chip: Solved
Hey there,
We have noticed a lot of people having trouble pairing the FCB1010 by Behringer with their Axe units, so we made a video on how to:

Program the FCB1010 to talk w/ Axe FX no UNO chips or software - YouTube

This covers programming your pedal without the need for modifying it or downloading any programming software and also gives you a clear understanding of how the pedal works.
Hope this saves you a bunch of time and money ;-)

If this helps please support us by following our Studio:
www.facebook.com/anthophobicrecords

i also started to program my fcb1010 in order to get the stompbox mode ready ... worked so far .... now i tried the above to use the looper settings but doesnt work at all .... as im a axe II starter i dont know where to place the looper in the sound chain and how to configure it properly .... i did all the mentioned midi settings in the axe II but im not sure if i setup the paramters correctly in ripwerx and like i said, have to idea how to edit the looper block

Back
Top Bottom