FCB1010 help

I suspect that you may also run into an issue with 2-way communication on Axe III in effects mode. EurekaProm version 3.1 was missing the correct device number id for the XL when it first came out, but it was fixed in version 3.2 after I reported the problem to EurekaSound. Each Axe Fx model has a different number, and I imagine that the id for the Axe III will have to be added to the next update to the EurekaProm for all functions to work correctly.
Correct... No device with an "Axe Fx mode" is going to work as expected in that mode as they won't be able to understand the Axe Fx III protocol.

can't speak for other controllers, but I use 2 midi cables to connect ins and outs on the controller and AXE. This way my lights work correctly on the controller.
The buttons should light based on what you step on. You should only require a single cable from X-15 midi out to Axe Fx III midi in.

I'd be surprised if the 2nd midi cable was doing anything...

Correct... No device with an "Axe Fx mode" is going to work as expected in that mode as they won't be able to understand the Axe Fx III protocol.

My issues were restricted to 2 way communication features on 3.1. The tuner wouldn't show on the FCB1010, and the effects state (lights on or off) were wonky in effects mode. There were also some situations where the FCB would freeze. Regardless, once I notified EurekaSound, they were very quick in fixing the problem and also added the ability to access all 768 presets on the XL.

My issues were restricted to 2 way communication features on 3.1. The tuner wouldn't show on the FCB1010, and the effects state (lights on or off) were wonky in effects mode. There were also some situations where the FCB would freeze. Regardless, once I notified EurekaSound, they were very quick in fixing the problem and also added the ability to access all 768 presets on the XL.
They were able to fix 2 way communication with the Axe Fx III? Since the protocol is not yet released, I assume they must just be ignoring incoming midi... Because there is not yet a way for them to know what to do with it.

They were able to fix 2 way communication with the Axe Fx III? Since the protocol is not yet released, I assume they must just be ignoring incoming midi... Because there is not yet a way for them to know what to do with it.

No, the problem I was referring to was that EurekaProm 3.1 was not completely compatible with Axe-XL due to the device ID issue. I notified them about that 2 years ago, and they fixed the problem in EurekaProm 3.2. I am not sure if EurekaSound knows that Axe III has been released, nor if they will need to wait for the protocol to be released, nor if they will even be able to come up with a solution since the Axe III is so different. I don't own a III myself, but I would encourage the OP to reach out to EurekaSound to make sure they know that the III exists and see what, if anything, could be incorporated into version EurekaProm version 3.3 that could improve compatibility with the III.

No, the problem I was referring to was that EurekaProm 3.1 was not completely compatible with Axe-XL due to the device ID issue. I notified them about that 2 years ago, and they fixed the problem in EurekaProm 3.2. I am not sure if EurekaSound knows that Axe III has been released, nor if they will need to wait for the protocol to be released, nor if they will even be able to come up with a solution since the Axe III is so different. I don't own a III myself, but I would encourage the OP to reach out to EurekaSound to make sure they know that the III exists and see what, if anything, could be incorporated into version EurekaProm version 3.3 that could improve compatibility with the III.
Got it... I wasn't making the connection.

As I mentioned, there is nothing that can be done yet. The specs are not available...

The buttons should light based on what you step on. You should only require a single cable from X-15 midi out to Axe Fx III midi in.

I'd be surprised if the 2nd midi cable was doing anything...
Not true on the X-15. Been using them for years. The lights are all off until button is stepped on. And in stomp box mode, all lights are off until stepped on, so you don't know what effect is muted or active. The first time you step on the button, it will either light or be off, depending on whether it is muted or active. The 2 cable method allows the lights to be on or off as set. Turn on the AXE and X-15 and whatever channel it is on is automatically lit. So going into stomp box mode immediately shows what effects are on and muted.

Not true on the X-15. Been using them for years. The lights are all off until button is stepped on. And in stomp box mode, all lights are off until stepped on, so you don't know what effect is muted or active. The first time you step on the button, it will either light or be off, depending on whether it is muted or active. The 2 cable method allows the lights to be on or off as set. Turn on the AXE and X-15 and whatever channel it is on is automatically lit. So going into stomp box mode immediately shows what effects are on and muted.
How is it possible that the ancient X-15 can know the state of effects from the Axe Fx III when none of the other controllers out there can?

There must be some general midi magic going on there. Maybe because it only allows specific CCs?

Last edited:
How is it possible that the ancient X-15 can know the state of effects from the Axe Fx III when none of the other controllers out there can?

There must be some general midi magic going on there. Maybe because it only allows specific CCs?
I'm not really sure. I went into the AXE III and copied my CC numbers from the II. I'm pretty sure, from the manual, it's all CC and midi channel based. You just have to put them in the right spot. I put the proper CC numbers in bypass/engage section. For my purposes, I used the same cc number for any effect that had multiple channels. So if delay had more than one, I want to mute all the delays I have set for the preset. So I used the same CC number for all the delay choices. My expression pedals work flawlessly for volume boost and Wah, which is how I have them set. I have no latency whatsoever, unless I have AXE Edit running. Channel changes are fast and fluid.
It may let me down one day. But I have used them since new on so many different midi effects processors, keyboards, CC midi based lighting and more.
But back to the OP, if anyone was using a foot controller, that uses CC#, for their previous Fractal product, just copy the codes you were using and many (preset changes and effects, amp, cab, etc. mute, volume and WAH, and maybe more) will work. Can't speak for latency on other products. It literally took me less than 1 hour, after reading @trancegodz's post.
I will private message the manual to anyone that needs it.

I put the proper CC numbers in bypass/engage section. For my purposes, I used the same cc number for any effect that had multiple channels. So if delay had more than one, I want to mute all the delays I have set for the preset. So I used the same CC number for all the delay choices
This part is confusing me. Are you saying you used gyre same CC for both Delay Bypass and Delay Channel?

That doesn't make any sense because Bypass is shared by all channels of a block (as are all modifiers), and the Channel CC is used to select the channel.

If you did do this, anything with 4 channels will be changing channels every time you bypass or engage that block.

This part is confusing me. Are you saying you used gyre same CC for both Delay Bypass and Delay Channel?

That doesn't make any sense because Bypass is shared by all channels of a block (as are all modifiers), and the Channel CC is used to select the channel.

If you did do this, anything with 4 channels will be changing channels every time you bypass or engage that block.
NO, I'm not saying that. What I'm doing is I'm using the same CC# for all the delay blocks, another CC# for reverb, another for chorus, etc. to bypass the effect. So when I am in stomp box/effects mode and step on the delay bypass button, it bypasses any and all delays in the preset.

Regarding CC# for channel changing, The X-15 has 2 modes I use, channel changing, (this assigns the 10 buttons to change from preset to preset), Those are different CC numbers. Each number is used for a different task. The other mode is effects mode, (step on a button to change to effects mode), where it turns the board into a stomp box, (the 10 buttons become individual effects pedal buttons).

Here are a few that the X-15 uses
PAD #EFFECT MIDI CONTROLLER #
1 EXCITER 70
2 COMPRESSOR 71
3 DISTORTION 72
4 EQUALIZER 73
5 EXPANDER/NOISE GATE 74
6 REVERB 75
7 DELAY 76
8 PITCH TRANSPOSER 77
9 FLANGE/CHORUS 78
10 SPECIAL EFFECTS 79
11 EXPRESSION CONTROLLER 11
12 FOOT CONTROLLER X-15 LEFT PEDAL 4

There are many more CC# to assign ranging from 1 to over 100.

NO, I'm not saying that. What I'm doing is I'm using the same CC# for all the delay blocks, another CC# for reverb, another for chorus, etc. to bypass the effect. So when I am in stomp box/effects mode and step on the delay bypass button, it bypasses any and all delays in the preset.

Regarding CC# for channel changing, The X-15 has 2 modes I use, channel changing, (this assigns the 10 buttons to change from preset to preset), Those are different CC numbers. Each number is used for a different task. The other mode is effects mode, (step on a button to change to effects mode), where it turns the board into a stomp box, (the 10 buttons become individual effects pedal buttons).

Here are a few that the X-15 uses
PAD #EFFECT MIDI CONTROLLER #
1 EXCITER 70
2 COMPRESSOR 71
3 DISTORTION 72
4 EQUALIZER 73
5 EXPANDER/NOISE GATE 74
6 REVERB 75
7 DELAY 76
8 PITCH TRANSPOSER 77
9 FLANGE/CHORUS 78
10 SPECIAL EFFECTS 79
11 EXPRESSION CONTROLLER 11
12 FOOT CONTROLLER X-15 LEFT PEDAL 4

There are many more CC# to assign ranging from 1 to over 100.
Ok, got it. That makes a lot more sense! :)

I had an X-15 way back when they first came out as a companion to the SGX-2000.

It was my first midi controller, and I used it pretty much out of the box because it was ready to be used directly with the SGX-2000... Loved the ability to control multiple effects simultaneously. I didn't like the audio gap during preset changes so I used one of the pedals to "morph" between my two primary tones by assigning many parameters to that pedal.

The one thing I didn't like on the X-15 was that the buttons were hard to press...

I have EurakeProm 3.2 and like Tommy says the button lights do update in effects mode. So I have presets, scenes and effects mode working. How do I get the expression pedals to work?

I have EurakeProm 3.2 and like Tommy says the button lights do update in effects mode. So I have presets, scenes and effects mode working. How do I get the expression pedals to work?
You'll need to know the CC numbers being used for each pedal. Then map them to the External Controller CCs in the Axe Fx III that you are using.

Ok, got it. That makes a lot more sense! :)

I had an X-15 way back when they first came out as a companion to the SGX-2000.

It was my first midi controller, and I used it pretty much out of the box because it was ready to be used directly with the SGX-2000... Loved the ability to control multiple effects simultaneously. I didn't like the audio gap during preset changes so I used one of the pedals to "morph" between my two primary tones by assigning many parameters to that pedal.

The one thing I didn't like on the X-15 was that the buttons were hard to press...
Fortunately mine are easy to press. But the rubber never wears out. Both mine have the latest firmware chip installed.
Look in the manual for the CC# codes assigned to your expression pedals. Then assign them in the AXE III.
How did you get scenes working? I haven't tried that yet. I know we have different units, but MIDI is MIDI.

is that done on the Bypass/Engage page?
I'm not sure, but I would think not, as you usually don't use the expression pedals that way. In my X2 I set up the volume and WAH parameter then assigned them to my CC# 4 and 11 which are my expression pedals' codes.

For scenes all I did was turn on Program Change under Midi/Remote-General-Pc Configuration-Program Change. All I did was change that one setting and scenes worked.

How did you get scenes working? I haven't tried that yet. I know we have different units, but MIDI is MIDI.

The X-15 doesn't allow for CC data values to be assigned. So you have limited options for scenes:

Preset Mapping on the Axe Fx III

Using only scenes 1 and 8 (the X-15 will most likely send 0 and 127 for effect off and on. Those would map data values to scenes 1 and 8. You would use a button just like any other IA)

Use Scene Increment/Decrement via two buttons.

Back
Top Bottom