FCB1010 Help (No Mod/No Chip)

I am giving Credit To Jimfist: I was able to get the FCB1010 Working, hopefully this helps others, By All means Sorry Jim if this offends you can make your own topic on here but this information is gold hah! :

Stock FCB1010 with AxeFxII (using all default/MIDI settings). For this set of examples, the TOP ROW of switches will act to switch PRESETS (MIDI Program Changes or PC), and the bottom row will be to change SCENES. I've used this logic since IMO you will be changing SCENES more than you will be changing presets. So, for each preset, you have the default scene (scene 1), and then 5 additional scenes to play with for changing x/y or bypass states of blocks within that layout (without any dropout latency). 6 x 5 = 30 possible configurations.

We'll also program the 2 Exp Pedals to be active regardless of which FCB1010 button is depressed. (I prefer that these are programmed to correspond with the Control Change (CC) values for the AxeFx's "EXT CTRL 1" and "EXT CTRL 2" under the CTRL (Control) tab of the I/O menu. This allows flexibility of assignment and the ability of one of the pedals to control many different parameters (tone morphs and blends) if so desired. (Note: on the AxeFx, set the DISPLAY OFFSET value to 1 on the I/O---> MIDI tab, 10 lines down so that the AFX presets match the PC values programmed in the FCB1010.)

Much of this is directly culled & slightly modified from this link: http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/IdiotsGuide.htm Many thanks to whomever compiled it!

A) Program the FCB1010 to transmit MIDI PC (Program Change, i.e. preset change) and CC (Control Change, used for Expression pedals and to program the switching of Scenes):

Set the MIDI Channels
The MIDI channel on your FCB1010 must match the MIDI channel used on your other MIDI gear. Try MIDI channel 1 on both for a start.

To set the MIDI channel on your FCB1010 (GLOBAL CONFIGURATION MODE):

If FCB1010 is turned on, turn it off
Press and hold the Down button while you turn on the FCB1010. Keep holding it down for about 5 seconds. When you see the small green light come on, release the button
Press the UP button once. The green light will have changed to the MIDI Function selection.
Press the 1 button. The 1 button LED and green light will begin to blink. The display will change to show you the current MIDI channel for PC command.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to MIDI Chann and the display digit will begin to blink.
Press the 0 button and then the 1 button. This will change it to MIDI channel 1. The display should now show 01.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to the MIDI Config selection.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds. The display will change to 00.

You have now programmed the FCB for the first PC command to MIDI channel 1 (default MIDI channel of the AxeFxII: I/O--->MIDI)
---------

B) You are now in the FCB1010's "Bank 0". We'll now program this bank's switches and EXP Pedals A&B according to the above. To start, press SWITCH 6 (top row far left).
Lets program this switch to output MIDI PC 6 so that the AxeFxII will display PRESET 6.

Program a Preset

Press the 6 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset 6.
Press the UP button once.
Usually one or more buttons will now have their LEDs on. The green light will be at SELECT (at the top, below the PRESET CONFIGURATION label). [note: for PRESET buttons - the top row of buttons - the only buttons that we are concerned with that should be lit in this "programming mode" should be BUTTON 1 (PROG CH 1) & BUTTON 8 & 9 (EXP A & EXP B, respectively). If any other buttons are lit, press and hold them down for a few seconds until they shut off. This will ensure that only the necessary MIDI data will be transmitted from the FCB1010 to the AFX].
If the LED for switch 1 (bottom row far left) is not on, press and hold the 1 button until the LED comes on.
Press the 1 button again, and it should begin to blink.
Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current PC (Program Change) command.
Press the 0 button. Press the 6 button.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.

You have now programmed the 6 button to send a PC command of 6 on MIDI channel 1 to your MIDI gear (the AxeFx).
Program the other buttons (switches) of the FCB1010's top row (6 thru 10) similarly, and of course you can assign the FCB1010's buttons/switches to any PC value (preset) that you like. I've programmed button switch 6 to transmit PC value 6 out of convenience and simplicity. Now, when you press button/switch 6 on the FCB1010, you should see the AFX's Preset 6 (Scene 1).
-----

C) program the FCB1010's bottom row to select SCENES on the current preset of the AxeFx. Button switch 1 will be transmitting SCENE 2, button 2 transmits SCENE 3, etc. thru button 5. (We'll get to the programming of the EXP pedals a little later.)

Program a SCENE switch

Press the 1 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
At this point, we are only concerned with transmission of a single Control Change (CC) to the AxeFx to change to SCENE 2. Thus, any buttons that have their LEDs lit should be shut off (hold button down until it shuts off). Make sure that button 6 (CNT 1, aka Control Change 1) is lit (press button until it stays lit).
Press quickly button 6 so that the red LED is now blinking.
Press the UP button once quickly. The currently programmed value of the CC# is now blinking. We will be changing this value to CC#34 and with a value of 1 (this will have the effect of transmitting SCENE 2 to whatever AxeFX preset is currently active).
To do this, press BUTTON 3, then BUTTON 4. The value of "34" should now be solid in the readout.
Press the UP button once quickly. The current "VALUE" of this CC will now be displayed as blinking. Press BUTTON 0 then BUTTON 1. (Thus you've programmed CC#34, value = 01)
Press the UP button once quickly. The numeric display is now blank.
Press and hold the DOWN button for a few seconds until the numeric display shows "00", meaning you are in Bank 0, and button switch 1 should have its red LED illuminated.

Now, when you press button 6, you should see the AxeFx preset 6, Scene 1. When you press button 1, you should see AxeFx preset 6 and Scene 2.
----------------

D) Now it's time to program the EXP A & B pedals. The process is exactly the same for all of the buttons on the FCB1010 Bank 0 (or whatever bank you're in), whether that button is being used for a Preset change (PC program change) or a SCENE change.

Set Expression Pedal A for AxeFx "EXT CTRL 1"

When you press the expression pedal, a CC command is sent based on how far down the pedal is pressed. Each CC MIDI command includes two parts. The first is the CC that is being changed and the second the value it is being changed to.

Press the 1 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
NOTE: From the above programming of button 1, the only red LED that should be lit is at button 6 (CTL 1) for Scene change. If you're programming one of the Preset buttons in the top row (6-10), then the only button red LED that should be lit is button switch 1 (PROG CH 1).
If the 8 LED is not on, press and hold the 8 button until the LED comes on.
Press the 8 button again, and it should begin to blink.
Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current CC command for expression pedal A.
Press the 1 button. Press the 6 button (corresponding with the value 16 for EXT CTRL 1 on the AxeFx's I/O ---> CTRL tab)
Press the 0 button twice (which sets the minimum volume to zero when the EXP A pedal is in the TOE UP/HEEL DOWN position)
Press the 1 button. press the 2 button. Press the 7 button. This sets the max value to 127 with pedal in the TOE DOWN/HEEL UP position
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.

[The process for expression pedal B to control AxeFx "EXT CTRL 2" is similar except you will be using the 9 button in steps 5 and 6, and at step 8, enter values 1 and 7 (17) to correspond with the AxeFx EXT CTRL 2 in the I/O--->CTRL tab.]

You will also need to set the MIDI channel for Expression A & B are to the same channel you selected above, which is MIDI channel 1 in the Global Configuration mode of the FCB1010.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd rather slam my pecker in my laptop repeatedly than try manually programming my FCB1010 without the use of a software editor.

I don't know what your options are on mac, but I strongly suggest trying one. It makes it easier to learn when things are laid out all at once, so you can compare one preset/bank/switch to another.

I was actually in a similar position to you last week trying to get my head around mine and, while it is confusing, everything you have described is entirely possible.

My honest recommendation though is to use switches 6 through 10 for effect blocks or even scenes and use 1-5 for preset switching. An even easier option is to use separate patches for what you're trying to achieve.

In regards to your expression pedals, how is it you wish to control your volume? I have mine set so that Exp 2 is my Output 1 volume and my Exp 1 is set as Ext 1 in the Axe and can be assigned to any number of things.

Honestly, I'd rather slam my pecker in my laptop repeatedly than try manually programming my FCB1010 without the use of a software editor.

I don't know what your options are on mac, but I strongly suggest trying one. It makes it easier to learn when things are laid out all at once, so you can compare one preset/bank/switch to another.

Ahem...are you saying that there is something unpleasant about slamming your pecker in your laptop repeatedly? LOL. Seriously, if you like the idea of extracting reasonable performance out of the FCB1010 since it is so inexpensive, then you'll have to meet the challenge of the aforementioned "pecker slamming". I wish there was someone to clearly explain how to program the FCB1010 when I went through this (and I have the bruises on my pecker to prove it!), so hopefully I can be of some assistance here. And when "light dawns" as to how to do the so-called "FCB1010 Riverdance", you'll be amazed at how relatively simple the process is. Stay tuned...I'm working on it...

I was actually in a similar position to you last week trying to get my head around mine and, while it is confusing, everything you have described is entirely possible.

My honest recommendation though is to use switches 6 through 10 for effect blocks or even scenes and use 1-5 for preset switching. An even easier option is to use separate patches for what you're trying to achieve.

In regards to your expression pedals, how is it you wish to control your volume? I have mine set so that Exp 2 is my Output 1 volume and my Exp 1 is set as Ext 1 in the Axe and can be assigned to any number of things.

ah thank you for that suggestion.. I guess I will consider 6-10 the effect blocks and 1-5 the preset switching I'll edit my first post soon then.. As for Expression pedals I do use Output 1 as well currently so I think its called output volume then for my correction blah, and for the 2nd I was thinking maybe a Delay Level I am not familar with External crtl at the moment so I don't know I guess it would be a good option just really want to get something working lol..

ah thank you for that suggestion.. I guess I will consider 6-10 the effect blocks and 1-5 the preset switching I'll edit my first post soon then.. As for Expression pedals I do use Output 1 as well currently so I think its called output volume then for my correction blah, and for the 2nd I was thinking maybe a Delay Level I am not familar with External crtl at the moment so I don't know I guess it would be a good option just really want to get something working lol..

Well. here's the quick way to set up the pedals to do just that. Go to the I/O section on the axe then go to the control page. Somewhere on that page will be an option for output 1 volume, press ENTER and then wiggle the pedal you'd like to assign this to. For your external control, this is just a fancy way of saying that the pedal you select is now referenced as Ext 1 throughout your patches, allowing you to assign it to whatever parameter you see fit. To do this, it's much the same process as before, I/O section, Ctrl page, External 1, ENTER, wiggle wiggle. Done!

Hope this helps, I'm happy to help with anything else I can :)

Max

Well. here's the quick way to set up the pedals to do just that. Go to the I/O section on the axe then go to the control page. Somewhere on that page will be an option for output 1 volume, press ENTER and then wiggle the pedal you'd like to assign this to. For your external control, this is just a fancy way of saying that the pedal you select is now referenced as Ext 1 throughout your patches, allowing you to assign it to whatever parameter you see fit. To do this, it's much the same process as before, I/O section, Ctrl page, External 1, ENTER, wiggle wiggle. Done!

Hope this helps, I'm happy to help with anything else I can :)

Max

Thank you Max for helping out, I have tried that and I don't think the pedal responded, I have tried the 1 and 3 and 1 and 6 Pdl Commands and turn it on and nothing happened so far and clicked Exp Pedal A and nothing happened..

Axe FX 2/II: I was on preset 00 and preset 01 for the AXE FX 2 so that hopefully I thought it would work easier.. So far..I had gone to the page I/O , I selected Midi Channel "Omni" and Display Offset " 1 " After that; I had went under Ctrl page; Pressed Enter, Tried to Assign it... It said "Learning" Nothing happened and for the past 1-2mins. waiting to see if I did it right.. So I know Something I did is missing.
Turn on FCB.
Press one of the numbered footswitches to "activate" the FCB. (The FCB has to be activated everytime the FCB is switched on.)
Press I/O and page over to the CTRL page
go to Out 1 Volume and press ENTER
move expression pedal

Lord only knows if I got this all right, and hope that it provides some clarity and not made the process even more maddening. LOL. Please do feel free to correct me where I've screwed up! Good luck and may the force be with you!

Stock FCB1010 with AxeFxII (using all default/MIDI settings). For this set of examples, the TOP ROW of switches will act to switch PRESETS (MIDI Program Changes or PC), and the bottom row will be to change SCENES. I've used this logic since IMO you will be changing SCENES more than you will be changing presets. So, for each preset, you have the default scene (scene 1), and then 5 additional scenes to play with for changing x/y or bypass states of blocks within that layout (without any dropout latency). 6 x 5 = 30 possible configurations.

We'll also program the 2 Exp Pedals to be active regardless of which FCB1010 button is depressed. (I prefer that these are programmed to correspond with the Control Change (CC) values for the AxeFx's "EXT CTRL 1" and "EXT CTRL 2" under the CTRL (Control) tab of the I/O menu. This allows flexibility of assignment and the ability of one of the pedals to control many different parameters (tone morphs and blends) if so desired. (Note: on the AxeFx, set the DISPLAY OFFSET value to 1 on the I/O---> MIDI tab, 10 lines down so that the AFX presets match the PC values programmed in the FCB1010.)

Much of this is directly culled & slightly modified from this link: http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/IdiotsGuide.htm Many thanks to whomever compiled it!

A) Program the FCB1010 to transmit MIDI PC (Program Change, i.e. preset change) and CC (Control Change, used for Expression pedals and to program the switching of Scenes):

Set the MIDI Channels
The MIDI channel on your FCB1010 must match the MIDI channel used on your other MIDI gear. Try MIDI channel 1 on both for a start.

To set the MIDI channel on your FCB1010 (GLOBAL CONFIGURATION MODE):

1. If FCB1010 is turned on, turn it off
  2. Press and hold the Down button while you turn on the FCB1010. Keep holding it down for about 5 seconds. When you see the small green light come on, release the button
  3. Press the UP button once. The green light will have changed to the MIDI Function selection.
  4. Press the 1 button. The 1 button LED and green light will begin to blink. The display will change to show you the current MIDI channel for PC command.
  5. Press the UP button once. The green light will move to MIDI Chann and the display digit will begin to blink.
  6. Press the 0 button and then the 1 button. This will change it to MIDI channel 1. The display should now show 01.
  7. Press the UP button once. The green light will move to the MIDI Config selection.
  8. Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds. The display will change to 00.
You have now programmed the FCB for the first PC command to MIDI channel 1 (default MIDI channel of the AxeFxII: I/O--->MIDI)
---------

B) You are now in the FCB1010's "Bank 0". We'll now program this bank's switches and EXP Pedals A&B according to the above. To start, press SWITCH 6 (top row far left).
Lets program this switch to output MIDI PC 6 so that the AxeFxII will display PRESET 6.

Program a Preset

1. Press the 6 button.
  2. Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset 6.
  3. Press the UP button once.
  4. Usually one or more buttons will now have their LEDs on. The green light will be at SELECT (at the top, below the PRESET CONFIGURATION label). [note: for PRESET buttons - the top row of buttons - the only buttons that we are concerned with that should be lit in this "programming mode" should be BUTTON 1 (PROG CH 1) & BUTTON 8 & 9 (EXP A & EXP B, respectively). If any other buttons are lit, press and hold them down for a few seconds until they shut off. This will ensure that only the necessary MIDI data will be transmitted from the FCB1010 to the AFX].
  5. If the LED for switch 1 (bottom row far left) is not on, press and hold the 1 button until the LED comes on.
  6. Press the 1 button again, and it should begin to blink.
  7. Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current PC (Program Change) command.
  8. Press the 0 button. Press the 6 button.
  9. Press the UP button once.
  10. Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.
You have now programmed the 6 button to send a PC command of 6 on MIDI channel 1 to your MIDI gear (the AxeFx).
Program the other buttons (switches) of the FCB1010's top row (6 thru 10) similarly, and of course you can assign the FCB1010's buttons/switches to any PC value (preset) that you like. I've programmed button switch 6 to transmit PC value 6 out of convenience and simplicity. Now, when you press button/switch 6 on the FCB1010, you should see the AFX's Preset 6 (Scene 1).
-----

C) program the FCB1010's bottom row to select SCENES on the current preset of the AxeFx. Button switch 1 will be transmitting SCENE 2, button 2 transmits SCENE 3, etc. thru button 5. (We'll get to the programming of the EXP pedals a little later.)

Program a SCENE switch

1. Press the 1 button.
  2. Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
  4. At this point, we are only concerned with transmission of a single Control Change (CC) to the AxeFx to change to SCENE 2. Thus, any buttons that have their LEDs lit should be shut off (hold button down until it shuts off). Make sure that button 6 (CNT 1, aka Control Change 1) is lit (press button until it stays lit).
  5. Press quickly button 6 so that the red LED is now blinking.
  6. Press the UP button once quickly. The currently programmed value of the CC# is now blinking. We will be changing this value to CC#34 and with a value of 1 (this will have the effect of transmitting SCENE 2 to whatever AxeFX preset is currently active).
  7. To do this, press BUTTON 3, then BUTTON 4. The value of "34" should now be solid in the readout.
  8. Press the UP button once quickly. The current "VALUE" of this CC will now be displayed as blinking. Press BUTTON 0 then BUTTON 1. (Thus you've programmed CC#34, value = 01)
  9. Press the UP button once quickly. The numeric display is now blank.
  10. Press and hold the DOWN button for a few seconds until the numeric display shows "00", meaning you are in Bank 0, and button switch 1 should have its red LED illuminated.

Now, when you press button 6, you should see the AxeFx preset 6, Scene 1. When you press button 1, you should see AxeFx preset 6 and Scene 2.
----------------

D) Now it's time to program the EXP A & B pedals. The process is exactly the same for all of the buttons on the FCB1010 Bank 0 (or whatever bank you're in), whether that button is being used for a Preset change (PC program change) or a SCENE change.

Set Expression Pedal A for AxeFx "EXT CTRL 1"

When you press the expression pedal, a CC command is sent based on how far down the pedal is pressed. Each CC MIDI command includes two parts. The first is the CC that is being changed and the second the value it is being changed to.

1. Press the 1 button.
  2. Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
  4. NOTE: From the above programming of button 1, the only red LED that should be lit is at button 6 (CTL 1) for Scene change. If you're programming one of the Preset buttons in the top row (6-10), then the only button red LED that should be lit is button switch 1 (PROG CH 1).
  5. If the 8 LED is not on, press and hold the 8 button until the LED comes on.
  6. Press the 8 button again, and it should begin to blink.
  7. Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current CC command for expression pedal A.
  8. Press the 1 button. Press the 6 button (corresponding with the value 16 for EXT CTRL 1 on the AxeFx's I/O ---> CTRL tab)
  9. Press the UP button once.
  10. Press the 0 button twice (which sets the minimum volume to zero when the EXP A pedal is in the TOE UP/HEEL DOWN position)
  11. Press the UP button once.
  12. Press the 1 button. press the 2 button. Press the 7 button. This sets the max value to 127 with pedal in the TOE DOWN/HEEL UP position
  13. Press the UP button once.
  14. Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.

[The process for expression pedal B to control AxeFx "EXT CTRL 2" is similar except you will be using the 9 button in steps 5 and 6, and at step 8, enter values 1 and 7 (17) to correspond with the AxeFx EXT CTRL 2 in the I/O--->CTRL tab.]

You will also need to set the MIDI channel for Expression A & B are to the same channel you selected above, which is MIDI channel 1 in the Global Configuration mode of the FCB1010.

Midi Channels : I was able to do all the instructions you said and it worked so far. BUT...When I turned On the FCB1010 and Held The down Button. Nothing Happened... I was able to do the rest of the instructions you said though, I did all of it on Bank 01.. and put my Axe FX On Midi Channel 1; Onto Axe FX Preset 1.. I am on Firmware 8.0 On Axe FX 2 I think the scenes are enabled in this firmware.

Program Preset : I was able to do all of this as well and followed all the instructions with Ease.

Program Scene Switch : Was able to do all of this with ease as well..

Set Expression Pedal A for AxeFx : Was able to do this as well, I didn't go for the EXP B yet, I wanted to see if EXP A worked first...I then did the same instructions told earlier in this thread. I had it on Midi Channel 1, Display Offset 0. Everything else Factory Default of AXE FX2..... However.. Under Ctrl page; I had pressed Enter Under Output Volume 1.. It Said "learning" I was using EXP Pedal A and using it with my foot to move it.... It still says Learning and nothing happened, I don't know why.. I did however was able to follow all the steps....The only step I missed was Under Midi Channels: Step 2, That was the only one, but because...When I Held Switch Down And Turned It on, it did nothing and no light up...It Only Showed The Number " 88 " blinking on and off..So I ignored that Step.. I went to switch UP it went to 00 and I pressed Switch UP again and it went to 01.... So Everything I did was Axe FX Midi Channel 1; and Preset 1 Of AXE FX; Display Offset. Everything else Default Factory Settings On the AXE FX, Just need to figure why it isn't responding to the AXE FX and Why Step 2 Under Midi Channel Instructions; When I held Switch Down it didnt do anything but display the Number " 88 " Blinking on and off..I ignored that part only and continued.. So I don't know whats wrong.

Last edited:
Midi Channels : I was able to do all the instructions you said and it worked so far. BUT...When I turned On the FCB1010 and Held The down Button. Nothing Happened... I was able to do the rest of the instructions you said though, I did all of it on Bank 01.. and put my Axe FX On Midi Channel 1; Onto Axe FX Preset 1.. I am on Firmware 8.0 On Axe FX 2 I think the scenes are enabled in this firmware.

Scenes are a new feature to FW 9.0, I highly recommend upgrading to it ASAP as it is magnificent!

Also, I intended to do you a large post of instructions but Jimfist seems to have beaten me to it in glorious style! Still, should you have any more issues I'll do my take on it and see how much it helps :)

Scenes are a new feature to FW 9.0, I highly recommend upgrading to it ASAP as it is magnificent!

Also, I intended to do you a large post of instructions but Jimfist seems to have beaten me to it in glorious style! Still, should you have any more issues I'll do my take on it and see how much it helps :)

MaxTaylorGrant - please do feel free to weigh in with your take on things (and corrections to my post where they may exist).

Yeah, that 10,000 character limit forced me to omit a few other sidebar notes and such. I really ought to get a decent, small digital video camera to do stuff like this. It would have taken about 10 minutes and been a lot easier to understand IMO. But...at least this is documented.

One of the downsides to using the stock FCB1010 with combinations of Presets and Scenes is that the red LED switch lights will only correspond with the last button pushed. So if switch 6 is a preset (on default scene 1), as soon as I go to switch 1 (to give me Scene 2, for example), I've now got to remember what preset I was in as the red LED light on button 6 is no longer lit. I'm guessing that some of the 3rd party replacement proms address this. As for me, I'm comfortable using my own memory....living on the edge!

Scenes are going to be great! I hope that FAS sees its way to implementing a couple more features like "scene copy" to make the process a little more intuitive and less time consuming for the "mega-layouts" that will be created on the effect grid. I also hope that they take the modifier control concept to the next level by exposing more parameter values (especially in the amp blocks tone stack!). That would be crazy good and allow for true "morphing" of tone within a single amp block, or assignment of the Bass/Mid/Treble knobs to the front panel A/B/C/D.

set the midi channel to OMNI (if the axe fx is the only midi device you are trying to control)

press I/O
go to the MIDI page
set MIDI CHANNEL to OMNI

set the midi channel to OMNI (if the axe fx is the only midi device you are trying to control)

press I/O
go to the MIDI page
set MIDI CHANNEL to OMNI

Yes, true that. But to play devil's advocate, since the FCB1010 is capable of transmitting MIDI data on multiple MIDI channels, the user had better be 100% positive that there isn't some additional MIDI data coming from multiple MIDI channels on the FCB that could screw things up. And the only way to truly know this is to understand how to program the pedal on the unit itself. Yes, it is tricky, and I don't blame people for freaking out about how frustrating it is, but it ain't rocket science either. Go through the pain, fully understand, and then reap the benefits of this very inexpensive but full-featured pedal. IMO it's worth it, and will open up a lot of possibilities once fully understood. Again, JMHO.

Thank you for this man! I tried going through this guide but had a few questions...

The idea of switching presets for the top 5 and scenes for the bottom 5 makes sense and is great, but what if I want to use more presets than that? I suppose I just make sure the presets I want to use are in the first 5 of each "bank" (each set of 10 presets on the AxeFX) and then use the Up/Down switches to switch banks?

Also, if I want to add a tap tempo button to this setup, firstly how would I do that? And secondly, could I use an external footswitch of some kind instead of using a button on the FCB? What footswitch should I get for this?

Thank you for this man! I tried going through this guide but had a few questions...

The idea of switching presets for the top 5 and scenes for the bottom 5 makes sense and is great, but what if I want to use more presets than that? I suppose I just make sure the presets I want to use are in the first 5 of each "bank" (each set of 10 presets on the AxeFX) and then use the Up/Down switches to switch banks?

Also, if I want to add a tap tempo button to this setup, firstly how would I do that? And secondly, could I use an external footswitch of some kind instead of using a button on the FCB? What footswitch should I get for this?

Connor - you can assign any of the AxeFx's presets to any of the switches on the FCB1010. It's all int he programming of the switch. you can program it to change to ANY of the AFX presets 001 thru 384 (although it may be easier to limit this to the AxeFX bank A, presets 001-128 ). For example: FCB button switch #6 = AFX preset 35, if that is what you like; switch 7 = preset 22 (or any other preset #...it's up to you); etc. You don't need to arrange the AxeFx presets to accommodate the FCB1010. You program the FCB1010 to select the preset you want for that button switch. You follow?

To get the maximum use of the number of presets and scenes with the FCB/Axe combination, you'll need to program each and every button that you'll need to use on the FCB1010. If you use 5 preset buttons and 5 scene buttons, starting with FCB1010 bank 00, and you need more presets, then you'll have to change banks on the FCB1010 (go up to bank 01) and program all of those buttons similar to what you did in bank 00. There are 10 banks on the FCB with 10 switches per bank. If you go 5 & 5, that's 50 presets total, which is plenty for most typical situations. If you want a LOT of presets available and a lot of Scenes, you'll be doing a LOT of programming on the FCB and AxeFX.

If I have some time tonight, I'll see about programming an FCB1010 switch to do tap tempo, however, using the AxeFXII's rear pedal/switch input to perform this as a dedicated task is a great idea IMO and will maximize the availability of your FCB1010 switches. This switch can be any momentary switch. I'm currently using the pedal input with a momentary switch to engage/bypass effects within a preset. It is an ultra-cheap keyboard "sustain pedal" type of switch, and probably cost $15. You just need to make sure you adjust the settings for the rear pedal jack to be a "momentary" type. (See sections 9.4 & 9.5 in the owners manual)

Gem Single Sustain Pedal for GEM Keyboards except GK Series | Musician's Friend

Tap tempo is easy. Again, though, pecker slammed in a laptop - I refuse to program without ripwerx so I have no idea how to set it up manually.

However, I simply set up all my patch changes so that it sends PC#1 as the preset I want, and also cc#14. Set the 1010 to ignore redundant messages, and now when you tap your patch changes first time selects the preset, second tap sends your tempo. No need for an external button, works great.

Tap tempo is easy. Again, though, pecker slammed in a laptop - I refuse to program without ripwerx so I have no idea how to set it up manually.

However, I simply set up all my patch changes so that it sends PC#1 as the preset I want, and also cc#14. Set the 1010 to ignore redundant messages, and now when you tap your patch changes first time selects the preset, second tap sends your tempo. No need for an external button, works great.

Yup...great idea! So in the case of what's being discussed here, with presets and scenes being laid out across a bank of FCB1010 switches, each of these switches could then use the SECOND Control Change switch (CNTRL 2, switch/button #7 in edit mode) to be assigned to CC#14 (default CC for tap tempo on the AxeFx). Yes, with the AxeFx "ignore redundant PC", every switch could be used for Tap Tempo in this manner. I'll test this out programming manually at home later.

In defense of the dedicated switch connected to the rear Pedal input: this is basically a "one and done" way of doing it, and takes MIDI programming totally out of the picture. For me, no big deal programming it on the MIDI pedal, but for a newbie to the FCB1010 it might be appealing as an alternative.

Back
Top Bottom