FCB1010 Help (No Mod/No Chip)

Update. Hi Ken and anyone else who may need this setup. I now have 5 Stomp boxes on buttons 6-10 and Scenes 1-5 on the bottom row. Tempo active on Scene1 Button after Preset selection.The Bank up and down buttons select patches 1-18. Your scene change Leds lite up individually as you step on each each scene. This setup works great for me. Use attached file in Ripwerks with UNO chip. To change to next Preset press Bank Up button THEN Scene 1. Preset number is shown on the Display. After this you can use the "1" button for Tempo. You can still go from any other scene back to Scene 1. See attached file in the other FCB1010 posts
Cheers Nick

I am giving Credit To Jimfist: I was able to get the FCB1010 Working, hopefully this helps others, By All means Sorry Jim if this offends you can make your own topic on here but this information is gold hah! :

Super random, but for some reason my fcb1010 doesnt recognize the two expression pedals in my created presets but when I switch to an axe fx preset the expression pedal lights light up indicating they are engaged. If i go back to the presets I created, the expression pedals light up and work properly. Any idea how to fix this bug so that the expression pedals are engaged all the time like they should be?

I am giving Credit To Jimfist: I was able to get the FCB1010 Working, hopefully this helps others, By All means Sorry Jim if this offends you can make your own topic on here but this information is gold hah! :

Stock FCB1010 with AxeFxII (using all default/MIDI settings). For this set of examples, the TOP ROW of switches will act to switch PRESETS (MIDI Program Changes or PC), and the bottom row will be to change SCENES. I've used this logic since IMO you will be changing SCENES more than you will be changing presets. So, for each preset, you have the default scene (scene 1), and then 5 additional scenes to play with for changing x/y or bypass states of blocks within that layout (without any dropout latency). 6 x 5 = 30 possible configurations.

We'll also program the 2 Exp Pedals to be active regardless of which FCB1010 button is depressed. (I prefer that these are programmed to correspond with the Control Change (CC) values for the AxeFx's "EXT CTRL 1" and "EXT CTRL 2" under the CTRL (Control) tab of the I/O menu. This allows flexibility of assignment and the ability of one of the pedals to control many different parameters (tone morphs and blends) if so desired. (Note: on the AxeFx, set the DISPLAY OFFSET value to 1 on the I/O---> MIDI tab, 10 lines down so that the AFX presets match the PC values programmed in the FCB1010.)

Much of this is directly culled & slightly modified from this link: http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/IdiotsGuide.htm Many thanks to whomever compiled it!

A) Program the FCB1010 to transmit MIDI PC (Program Change, i.e. preset change) and CC (Control Change, used for Expression pedals and to program the switching of Scenes):

Set the MIDI Channels
The MIDI channel on your FCB1010 must match the MIDI channel used on your other MIDI gear. Try MIDI channel 1 on both for a start.

To set the MIDI channel on your FCB1010 (GLOBAL CONFIGURATION MODE):

If FCB1010 is turned on, turn it off
Press and hold the Down button while you turn on the FCB1010. Keep holding it down for about 5 seconds. When you see the small green light come on, release the button
Press the UP button once. The green light will have changed to the MIDI Function selection.
Press the 1 button. The 1 button LED and green light will begin to blink. The display will change to show you the current MIDI channel for PC command.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to MIDI Chann and the display digit will begin to blink.
Press the 0 button and then the 1 button. This will change it to MIDI channel 1. The display should now show 01.
Press the UP button once. The green light will move to the MIDI Config selection.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds. The display will change to 00.

You have now programmed the FCB for the first PC command to MIDI channel 1 (default MIDI channel of the AxeFxII: I/O--->MIDI)
---------

B) You are now in the FCB1010's "Bank 0". We'll now program this bank's switches and EXP Pedals A&B according to the above. To start, press SWITCH 6 (top row far left).
Lets program this switch to output MIDI PC 6 so that the AxeFxII will display PRESET 6.

Program a Preset

Press the 6 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset 6.
Press the UP button once.
Usually one or more buttons will now have their LEDs on. The green light will be at SELECT (at the top, below the PRESET CONFIGURATION label). [note: for PRESET buttons - the top row of buttons - the only buttons that we are concerned with that should be lit in this "programming mode" should be BUTTON 1 (PROG CH 1) & BUTTON 8 & 9 (EXP A & EXP B, respectively). If any other buttons are lit, press and hold them down for a few seconds until they shut off. This will ensure that only the necessary MIDI data will be transmitted from the FCB1010 to the AFX].
If the LED for switch 1 (bottom row far left) is not on, press and hold the 1 button until the LED comes on.
Press the 1 button again, and it should begin to blink.
Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current PC (Program Change) command.
Press the 0 button. Press the 6 button.
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.

You have now programmed the 6 button to send a PC command of 6 on MIDI channel 1 to your MIDI gear (the AxeFx).
Program the other buttons (switches) of the FCB1010's top row (6 thru 10) similarly, and of course you can assign the FCB1010's buttons/switches to any PC value (preset) that you like. I've programmed button switch 6 to transmit PC value 6 out of convenience and simplicity. Now, when you press button/switch 6 on the FCB1010, you should see the AFX's Preset 6 (Scene 1).
-----

C) program the FCB1010's bottom row to select SCENES on the current preset of the AxeFx. Button switch 1 will be transmitting SCENE 2, button 2 transmits SCENE 3, etc. thru button 5. (We'll get to the programming of the EXP pedals a little later.)

Program a SCENE switch

Press the 1 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
At this point, we are only concerned with transmission of a single Control Change (CC) to the AxeFx to change to SCENE 2. Thus, any buttons that have their LEDs lit should be shut off (hold button down until it shuts off). Make sure that button 6 (CNT 1, aka Control Change 1) is lit (press button until it stays lit).
Press quickly button 6 so that the red LED is now blinking.
Press the UP button once quickly. The currently programmed value of the CC# is now blinking. We will be changing this value to CC#34 and with a value of 1 (this will have the effect of transmitting SCENE 2 to whatever AxeFX preset is currently active).
To do this, press BUTTON 3, then BUTTON 4. The value of "34" should now be solid in the readout.
Press the UP button once quickly. The current "VALUE" of this CC will now be displayed as blinking. Press BUTTON 0 then BUTTON 1. (Thus you've programmed CC#34, value = 01)
Press the UP button once quickly. The numeric display is now blank.
Press and hold the DOWN button for a few seconds until the numeric display shows "00", meaning you are in Bank 0, and button switch 1 should have its red LED illuminated.

Now, when you press button 6, you should see the AxeFx preset 6, Scene 1. When you press button 1, you should see AxeFx preset 6 and Scene 2.
----------------

D) Now it's time to program the EXP A & B pedals. The process is exactly the same for all of the buttons on the FCB1010 Bank 0 (or whatever bank you're in), whether that button is being used for a Preset change (PC program change) or a SCENE change.

Set Expression Pedal A for AxeFx "EXT CTRL 1"

When you press the expression pedal, a CC command is sent based on how far down the pedal is pressed. Each CC MIDI command includes two parts. The first is the CC that is being changed and the second the value it is being changed to.

Press the 1 button.
Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for preset (button switch) 1.
NOTE: From the above programming of button 1, the only red LED that should be lit is at button 6 (CTL 1) for Scene change. If you're programming one of the Preset buttons in the top row (6-10), then the only button red LED that should be lit is button switch 1 (PROG CH 1).
If the 8 LED is not on, press and hold the 8 button until the LED comes on.
Press the 8 button again, and it should begin to blink.
Press the UP button once. The display should begin to blink showing the current CC command for expression pedal A.
Press the 1 button. Press the 6 button (corresponding with the value 16 for EXT CTRL 1 on the AxeFx's I/O ---> CTRL tab)
Press the 0 button twice (which sets the minimum volume to zero when the EXP A pedal is in the TOE UP/HEEL DOWN position)
Press the 1 button. press the 2 button. Press the 7 button. This sets the max value to 127 with pedal in the TOE DOWN/HEEL UP position
Now press and hold the Down button for about 5 seconds.

[The process for expression pedal B to control AxeFx "EXT CTRL 2" is similar except you will be using the 9 button in steps 5 and 6, and at step 8, enter values 1 and 7 (17) to correspond with the AxeFx EXT CTRL 2 in the I/O--->CTRL tab.]

You will also need to set the MIDI channel for Expression A & B are to the same channel you selected above, which is MIDI channel 1 in the Global Configuration mode of the FCB1010.

Would you walk me through this for $25 PayPal or Venmo?

Ahem...are you saying that there is something unpleasant about slamming your pecker in your laptop repeatedly? LOL. Seriously, if you like the idea of extracting reasonable performance out of the FCB1010 since it is so inexpensive, then you'll have to meet the challenge of the aforementioned "pecker slamming". I wish there was someone to clearly explain how to program the FCB1010 when I went through this (and I have the bruises on my pecker to prove it!), so hopefully I can be of some assistance here. And when "light dawns" as to how to do the so-called "FCB1010 Riverdance", you'll be amazed at how relatively simple the process is. Stay tuned...I'm working on it...

Jim could I pay you $25-$30 to walk me through simply setting it up to change scenes and presets? I only need to access presets 1-5 on the axe fx II.

Jim could I pay you $25-$30 to walk me through simply setting it up to change scenes and presets? I only need to access presets 1-5 on the axe fx II.

Apologies, but it's not about the money...it's about the time, and I have little of it to spare. If you take your time and follow the instructions on this thread, you should be able to get through it.

Give it a try and see if you can figure it out. There's value in the frustration in trying, failing, and trying again - even though it may seem like misery. That's how I learned, and if I can do it, anyone can. You can do it, just take your time, follow the instructions carefully, and keep at it.

Funny thing is that some of the setup notes I posted here were partly done as a time-saving measure, to help a number of others who had the same problems programming the FCB1010, and also as a personal reference for some FCB1010 setups I'd done with other band-mates.

Good luck.

After following the instructions to program a scene switch, I have programmed scene 2 into block one, but I can't get back to scene one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

After following the instructions to program a scene switch, I have programmed scene 2 into block one, but I can't get back to scene one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Have you programmed all the switches on the FCB1010, or just the one switch?

The tutorial has the FCB1010's bottom row of switches set up this way:
button 1 = Scene 2; 2 = Scene 3; -------> button 5 = Scene 6.

When you engage a preset from the top row of preset buttons (FCB1010 buttons 6 thru 0), it should return you to Scene 1 for whichever preset you've selected. This should be the default behavior for the AxeFxII: Engage a preset = default to its Scene 1...IIRC.

Last edited:
Have you programmed all the switches on the FCB1010, or just the one switch?

The tutorial has the FCB1010's bottom row of switches set up this way:
button 1 = Scene 2; 2 = Scene 3; -------> button 5 = Scene 6.

When you engage a preset from the top row of preset buttons (FCB1010 buttons 6 thru 0), it should return you to Scene 1 for whichever preset you've selected. This should be the default behavior for the AxeFxII: Engage a preset = default to its Scene 1...IIRC.
I followed the instructions on how to set a preset and then followed it with the instructions on how to set a scene. When I go back to the default(6), I get scene 2, not scene one. If I use the ax fx2 to go back to the preset(6), it takes me back to scene one. If i press(1), then I go to scene 2. How do I go back to the default scene(1)?

Last edited:
I followed the instructions on how to set a preset and then followed it with the instructions on how to set a scene. When I go back to the default(6), I get scene 2, not scene one. If I use the ax fx2 to go back to the preset(6), it takes me back to scene one. If i press(1), then I go to scene 2. How do I go back to the default scene(1)?

When you press button 6 to go back to the preset, does the AxeFx go to the preset that it is supposed to go to, or does it go to a preset that is off by one place? Check that, and if this is the case, check Global Configuration for DISPLAY OFFSET and change it.

Do you have any other scenes programmed, and if so, when you press FCB button 6 to return to the preset, what happens? If not, then program one or two more Scene buttons and note the behavior when going back and forth between scenes buttons and the preset button (6).

Also check in Global Configurations:

- IGNORE REDUNDANT PC: this should be set to OFF, so that the AxeFx processes incoming MIDI PC commands

Also look at these Global Configuration settings to see how they are set up...
from the owner's manual :

MAPPING MODE NONE/CUSTOM

This determines whether the Axe-Fx II will respond explicitly to MIDI program change messages received, or whether it will re-map incoming program change messages to load user-specified presets. For example, an incoming program change message of 15 would normally recall preset 15 (or preset 16 if DISPLAY OFFSET is on; see below). With Custom Mapping set up, program change message 15 might be set to recall preset 100, or any other preset you choose.

MAP FROM/TO PRESET/SCENE 0–127, 0–383, 1–8

These three parameters work to specify which preset and scene will be loaded for each incoming program change message when MAPPING MODE is set to “CUSTOM.” For example, if you select “15” for MAP FROM and MAP TO values of “100,” and “2” incoming Program Change #15 will load Preset 100, scene 2 (or 101:2 if display offset is on; see below). SCENE REVERT Selects between one of two

IGNORE REDUNDANT PC: this should be set to OFF, so that the AxeFx processes incoming MIDI PC commands

This can probably be enabled. The separate "PROG CHANGE" parameter determines whether PCs are completely ignored or processed, so that's something to check.

Ignore Redundant PC just determines whether a preset is reloaded (with audio mute) when the PC corresponds to the current preset. The PC will recall scene 1 (or other scene if custom mapped) either way. If using PCs mapped to scenes (or PC as convenient way to return to scene 1 w/o scene select CC) IRPC enabled will avoid the reload/mute while changing scenes.

This can probably be enabled. The separate "PROG CHANGE" parameter determines whether PCs are completely ignored or processed, so that's something to check.

Ignore Redundant PC just determines whether a preset is reloaded (with audio mute) when the PC corresponds to the current preset. The PC will recall scene 1 (or other scene if custom mapped) either way. If using PCs mapped to scenes (or PC as convenient way to return to scene 1 w/o scene select CC) IRPC enabled will avoid the reload/mute while changing scenes.

Thanks for weighing in. I haven't used or programmed the AxeFXII/FCB1010 combo in over 5 years, so I'm spitballing a lot of this from memory. If I still had my rig, I'd just fire it up and see how I had both pieces configured.

There are definitely a few settings to keep in mind when using this combination of gear. The FCB makes it a tough slog.

I couldn't get preset 6 to work at all. I did get preset 7 to work. If i click on 7, it takes me to preset 6 scene 1. If i press pedal 1, then I get to scene 2. How do I program scene 3? What do i have to change in the scene set instructions to make that happen?

Back
Top Bottom