FCB1010 Help (No Mod/No Chip)

start at the beginning of this thread. full detailed "how to" instructions are there for you to follow.

Finalformsora3 and Jimfist,

Thank you for your excellent step-by-step instructions on programming the FCB1010. You made quick work of what, without such instruction, would have been a formidable task.

The only thing I can't get to work is Expression Pedal B. Global Configuration shows it to be set to channel 1 (hold the Down button while powering on, press up (MIDI Function), press 9 (Exp B), press Up, press 0-1, press Up, hold Down to program). Then, once the unit is powered up: press 1, hold Down, 6 and 9 and lit up, press 9, press Up, press 1-7, press Up, press 0-0, press 1-2-7, press Up, hold Down.

At this point I lose functionality of Exp A. When I reprogram Exp A, it works again just fine. I've even tried programming Exp B as 16 and still nothing. Also, the Fractal I/O Ext Ctrl 2 is set to 17. The lights by both Exp A and Exp B on the FCB are on.

What's concerning is I can't get the Fractal to register any MIDI activity from Exp B. Thinking maybe a connection was loose, I opened it up. All the wires seem fine. I even wiggled them around a bit without result.

Any suggestions?

One other observation: Exp A works fine for Scenes 2 and 3, but not 1, 4, or 5. (It shows MIDI activity for Scene 1, but not 4 and 5.)

Last edited:
Figured it out - needed to calibrate the pedals (even though it was brand new).

Figured the other thing out too - just had to redo the pedals for each button in the bank.

Man, I really appreciate your How To. Neverminding the issues with the expression pedal, the whole thing took maybe 15 minutes to program a bank of 5 patches with 4 scenes each (button 5 is universal Tap Tempo). Sweet!

Now I'm trying to find that video where Petrucci talked about how he had his expression pedals set up for his solo sound (pre-Ernie Ball era) -- I think he combined reverb and delay so the more depressed the pedal, the more signal that was sent to those effects, right?

Scenario: I have three effects controlled by controller 1 (volume, Wah, and Whammy) and two by controller 2 delay and reverb). I have the Wah and Whammy bypassed in all scenes but 2 and 4 respectively and the volume engaged in all but scenes 2 and 4. Since volume, Wah, and Whammy are Auto-Engage sorts of effects, how can I use on them on the same controller without engaging the others? Auto-Engage seems to override the bypass state.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Figured the other thing out too - just had to redo the pedals for each button in the bank.

Man, I really appreciate your How To. Neverminding the issues with the expression pedal, the whole thing took maybe 15 minutes to program a bank of 5 patches with 4 scenes each (button 5 is universal Tap Tempo). Sweet!

Now I'm trying to find that video where Petrucci talked about how he had his expression pedals set up for his solo sound (pre-Ernie Ball era) -- I think he combined reverb and delay so the more depressed the pedal, the more signal that was sent to those effects, right?

Scenario: I have three effects controlled by controller 1 (volume, Wah, and Whammy) and two by controller 2 delay and reverb). I have the Wah and Whammy bypassed in all scenes but 2 and 4 respectively and the volume engaged in all but scenes 2 and 4. Since volume, Wah, and Whammy are Auto-Engage sorts of effects, how can I use on them on the same controller without engaging the others? Auto-Engage seems to override the bypass state.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hello -

Thanks for this!........but I can't get scenes to work..did exactly as written here and also reset the FCB....when I program a scene and press pedal 1 the scene stays on 1, when I press pedal 2 it stays on scene 1.......weird thing is when I program one preset (#6 for example) all the pedals on the FCB instantly correspond to the Axe: preset 1 is pedal 1, preset 2 is pedal 2 etc....not sure if this is the cause or what....is there some scene/midi setting in the Axe I need to change?....I'm on the most recent firmware......THANKS for any help....

Hello -

Thanks for this!........but I can't get scenes to work..did exactly as written here and also reset the FCB....when I program a scene and press pedal 1 the scene stays on 1, when I press pedal 2 it stays on scene 1.......weird thing is when I program one preset (#6 for example) all the pedals on the FCB instantly correspond to the Axe: preset 1 is pedal 1, preset 2 is pedal 2 etc....not sure if this is the cause or what....is there some scene/midi setting in the Axe I need to change?....I'm on the most recent firmware......THANKS for any help....

No way of knowing based on what you've provided. I would suggest clearing out all of the FCB1010 presets on, for example, bank 01, so that when you press any preset switch, effectively, nothing is transmitted. This would allow you to start programming from "ground zero". Then, slowly, methodically, try the programming routine again. Assuming the AxeFx and FCB are talking to each other via MIDI (one cable only, out from the FCB into the AxeFx), then you should be ok.

Try again. Go slow. Be careful.

Got it....I was using midi channel 5, cause I got other midi gear on channel 1.....I switched the axefx/fcb to channel 1 and it works perfect......Thanks JIMFIST for all your work on this...

Hi all,

Just picked up an Axe FX ii and the FCB (I know, I'm late to the party). Great thread! Question: I figured out how to access Banks B and C on the FCB, problem is I get "stuck" on that Bank when I switch to other presets. For example, what was 111 is now 367, etc.

Any insight?

Thanks a lot.

Randy,

Once you've transmitted the CC value to access whatever bank you want (A, B, or C), then any subsequent patch changes transmitted to the AxeFx will be sort of "locked" within that bank (A, B or C) until a new/different bank select CC value is transmitted.

If you want to be able to toggle between all 3 banks from the FCB1010, I would recommend you dedicate FCB1010 switches to changing banks, with no other MIDI data transmitted. For example, FCB1010 bank 0, switch 1 to transmit Bank Select CC#0, value 0 should "lock" you into Bank A for all subsequent MIDI patch number transmissions to the AxeFx. A second switch (FCB1010 bank 0, switch 2) set at CC#0, value 1, should lock you into presets within Bank B, and so on. If you know how to "toggle" between two CC values on a single FCB1010 switch, you can access two AxeFx banks by only occupying one switch (for example, press the switch and it accesses Bank Select for Bank A; press again and it accesses Bank B; press again...Bank A, etc.).

Another way to do this would be to ALWAYS transmit Bank Select CC and value with EVERY preset you program on the FCB1010, if you know exactly what preset you want to access within the multiple AxeFx banks. IMHO, with so many presets available and using AxeEdit or Fractal Bot to backup or rearrange presets, why not just move all of the presets you want to access via the FCB1010 to be within preset locations 1 - 128 on the AxeFx?

Hope this helps.

Thanks, JimFist. Your reply not only addressed my precise issue, but helped unlock for me how to program the unit for virtually anything

thread revival!

This thread has saved me a TON of time (and money). I don't need a lot out of my midi controller (just presets, scenes, tap tempo, and tuner), so this thread was perfect. Also, I think I've learned enough that now I can do just about anything I want with it. Don't be intimidated by programming this MIDI controller - it's not that hard.

Thanks!

By the way, im not sure if tuner on/off is in this thread or not, but use this if you want to use it like I did... (thanks Paranoid!)...

if you are tap dance programing, pick your switch, skip the relays unless using them, select cnt1 + cnt2, program cnt1 to 15 value 127, then cnt 2 15 value 0. now one step turns it on one step turns it off. if you want the pedals to work during or after the tuner switching do not forget to also program them for that switch!

thread revival!

This thread has saved me a TON of time (and money). I don't need a lot out of my midi controller (just presets, scenes, tap tempo, and tuner), so this thread was perfect. Also, I think I've learned enough that now I can do just about anything I want with it. Don't be intimidated by programming this MIDI controller - it's not that hard.

Thanks!

Same for me! Thanks to the guy that created this thread :)

Once you've got the FCB1010 mastered, it's really an excellent value for the money, quirks and all. It's a little bit large, footprint-wise, but has always been a decent and reliable controller for me.

To share an anecdote, I set up an AxeFxII and stock FCB1010 for my buddy to use at gigs. The top row was preset changes (bank 5) on switch 6 thru 9, and 0 was set up as a mute/tuner. Bottom row 1 thru 5 were set up as Scenes within each preset. Each of the top four presets were a different flavor of amp/cabinet: classic rock, classic hard rock, classic metal, modern metal. The 5 Scene switches were set up as (switch 1) clean rhythm (2) dirty rhythm (3) clean boost (4) dirty lead boost (5) wild card special FX. Expression B pedal was set up for all presets & scenes, wah wah engaged with a full "toe down" and auto-bypass when not in use.

My buddy never used the AxeFx or the FCB1010 before I programmed up this stuff and let him use it. From the get-go he had no problem navigating around the FCB1010 pedal layout to get everything he needed depending on what song was being played. If he forgot what preset he was on, he only needed to either select a preset from the top row to re-orient himself, or just look at the AxeFxII screen which was oriented facing angled up, next to his mic stand, for quick viewing.

I'll grant you that this isn't wildly flexible, but what I created for a live gigging layout is plenty flexible to cover 3 hours of cover tunes that range all over the map stylistically. The FCB1010 and the AxeFxII have performed beyond expectations. Sounds really, really, REALLY good, and the guitarist has zero complaints about the way it functions. If you can't afford an expensive midi controller, I highly recommend the FCB1010. Not easy out of the gate, but plenty of function to be had.

Once you've got the FCB1010 mastered, it's really an excellent value for the money, quirks and all. It's a little bit large, footprint-wise, but has always been a decent and reliable controller for me.

To share an anecdote, I set up an AxeFxII and stock FCB1010 for my buddy to use at gigs. The top row was preset changes (bank 5) on switch 6 thru 9, and 0 was set up as a mute/tuner. Bottom row 1 thru 5 were set up as Scenes within each preset. Each of the top four presets were a different flavor of amp/cabinet: classic rock, classic hard rock, classic metal, modern metal. The 5 Scene switches were set up as (switch 1) clean rhythm (2) dirty rhythm (3) clean boost (4) dirty lead boost (5) wild card special FX. Expression B pedal was set up for all presets & scenes, wah wah engaged with a full "toe down" and auto-bypass when not in use.

My buddy never used the AxeFx or the FCB1010 before I programmed up this stuff and let him use it. From the get-go he had no problem navigating around the FCB1010 pedal layout to get everything he needed depending on what song was being played. If he forgot what preset he was on, he only needed to either select a preset from the top row to re-orient himself, or just look at the AxeFxII screen which was oriented facing angled up, next to his mic stand, for quick viewing.

I'll grant you that this isn't wildly flexible, but what I created for a live gigging layout is plenty flexible to cover 3 hours of cover tunes that range all over the map stylistically. The FCB1010 and the AxeFxII have performed beyond expectations. Sounds really, really, REALLY good, and the guitarist has zero complaints about the way it functions. If you can't afford an expensive midi controller, I highly recommend the FCB1010. Not easy out of the gate, but plenty of function to be had.

Assuming I'm in some scene (say scene 2, which means I've hit button 1 on my setup) in which the wahwah is bypassed by default - how do you configure the wahwah to turn on/off using ONLY the expression pedal?

Assuming I'm in some scene (say scene 2, which means I've hit button 1 on my setup) in which the wahwah is bypassed by default - how do you configure the wahwah to turn on/off using ONLY the expression pedal?

Enable autoengage at the wah control modifier page. This will make the wah available on any scene. If you want the pedal to do something else in other scenes, that could be configured via FCB (scene switch sets different pedal CC#) or Axe preset routing (more complicated).

If I want each bank to be a preset and buttons 1-8 be scenes sand 9 be a tap tempo and 10 be a tuner is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom