FCB1010 Help (No Mod/No Chip)

tap tempo on the FCB1010

Tap tempo is easy. Again, though, pecker slammed in a laptop - I refuse to program without ripwerx so I have no idea how to set it up manually.

However, I simply set up all my patch changes so that it sends PC#1 as the preset I want, and also cc#14. Set the 1010 to ignore redundant messages, and now when you tap your patch changes first time selects the preset, second tap sends your tempo. No need for an external button, works great.

Just tested this on the FCB1010 and AxeFxII and it works great no problems. Here is the manual programming step-by-step. Holding over from the previous step-by-step example, we are using the top row buttons 6-10 as preset switches, and the bottom row 1-5 as Scene changes. Since the the bottom row (1-5) buttons already use CNT 1 to send the CC#34 for Scene Select, we'll use CNT 2 (programming mode: button 7) to set Tap Tempo. The AxeFxII defaults tap tempo to CC#14 (Global Tempo). Also, you must make sure that "Ignore Redundant PC" is set to "ON" (I/O ---> MIDI tab).

Program Tap Tempo to any button

1. For this example Press button 1 on the FCB1010.
  2. Press and hold the Down button on the FCB1010 for about 5 seconds. This puts the FCB1010 in programming mode for button switch 1.
  3. Press the UP button once.
  4. Make sure that CNT 2 (button 7) is lit solid. If not, then press and hold the button until it is lit solid.
  5. Press quickly button 7 so that the red LED is now blinking.
  6. Press the UP button once quickly. The currently programmed value of the CC# is now blinking. We will be changing this value to CC#14 and with a value of 00 (this will have the effect of transmitting SCENE 2 to whatever AxeFX preset is currently active).
  7. To do this, press BUTTON 1, then BUTTON 4. The value of "14" should now be solid in the readout.
  8. Press the UP button once quickly. The current "VALUE" of this CC will now be displayed as blinking. Press BUTTON 0 then BUTTON 0 again. (I believe ANY VALUE other than 127 should work fine for CC#14). Thus you've programmed CC#14, value = 00
  9. Press the UP button once quickly. The numeric display is now blank.
  10. Press and hold the DOWN button for a few seconds to return to the current bank of switches. Now switch 1 is programmed to transmit tap tempo.

When you can repeatedly tap this switch to enter "tap tempo" you'll see the Tempo light on the AxeFxII change its blinking speed to correspond. You can program every switch this way or you could just dedicate ONE BUTTON per FCB1010 Bank to Tap Tempo.

Connor...let me know if you make out with this! It'll save you bothering with purchasing a momentary pedal. =)

Hey guys. So I have my FCB programmed 1-5 as presets, 6-9 as scene changes and 10 as tap tempo. My expression pedals are working fine but when I switch the scene they turn off. Any clue on how to keep them active all the time?

Hey guys. So I have my FCB programmed 1-5 as presets, 6-9 as scene changes and 10 as tap tempo. My expression pedals are working fine but when I switch the scene they turn off. Any clue on how to keep them active all the time?

Al_gtr, when you program a button on the FCB1010, whether it be for Patch Change ( = PC = preset change on the AxeFxII) or Scene change, you also must program the Exp A & Exp B pedals if you'd like them to be active for that button. The 2 Exp pedals don't get programmed once for one button and act globally across the bank of buttons.

Go to the section of the guide I posted earlier in this thread with respect to programming the EXP Pedals, and for every button you are using on the FCB1010, follow the procedure to program the Exp pedals. If you're using all 10 buttons on a bank, then you'll need to program the Exp pedals for all 10 buttons. The fact that the Exp pedals are active (you can tell by the red light being lit solid above each pedal) for one button doesn't mean that they are active for ALL buttons.

Just wanted to ask about footswitches again. I went to my local music store and picked up a Boss FS-6 and an Apex AFS1 to try with my unit. They weren't sure about the Apex one working as it only came in a white box with no instructions, turns out it is latching so that doesn't help me. I need non-latching, right? Also, the Boss one looked like it would work, but it needs battery power... any switch like the Boss ones that don't take a battery or need a power supply? Something similar to the FS-5U? I'm not a big fan of using sustain pedals as my tap tempo, but may have to resort to that.

Yeah I have to agree that trying to manually program anything on the FCB1010 is pure madness. Pretty much all things you need to get it up and running with the Axe-Fx is possible with the Ripwerx editor.

That said, I'd like to know what kind of setups people have on their FCBs for scenes and presets?

I've been thinking of the following:

bank 1:
- footswitches for scenes, toggle types (so button 1 does 1/2, button 2 does 3/4 etc)
- possibly fx on/off if it can be done without having stompbox mode on (as it is apparently then on for all banks on the UnO)

bank 2:
- looper controls

bank 3->
- presets. I'll most likely just need the third bank as scenes offer most variations clean/rhythm/lead variations I would need.

If I understand well, once you got beyond scene 1, no way to see what patch your're running isn't it ?
Howbeit, I totally agree on your concept of having the "stompbox" or "scene" functions on the lower row; unfortunately this is not possible with the Uno chip.
To be really at ease we'd need a new chip FCB1010 "duo" on which we could have following functions :
1) Stompbox row freely assignable "upper" or "lower" row
2) Exclusive on function for leds on the stompbox row (ie : only one LED on at the time, the last button pushed)
3) All other functions as actual FCB, keeping the liberty to assign for example "looper" commands in a bank. In that case a patch containing a looper function could take one entire bank of the fcb (one row dedicated to scene/stompbox functions), the row used for PC messages could contain the looper commands on the free 4 buttons of the other row.
4) expression pedals as actual
Cheers !

Al_gtr, when you program a button on the FCB1010, whether it be for Patch Change ( = PC = preset change on the AxeFxII) or Scene change, you also must program the Exp A & Exp B pedals if you'd like them to be active for that button. The 2 Exp pedals don't get programmed once for one button and act globally across the bank of buttons.

Thanks dude. I JUST noticed this when I went to use the wah on scene 2. Shows how often I actually use my wah pedal.

If I understand well, once you got beyond scene 1, no way to see what patch your're running isn't it ?

With a setup like mine, not in the way you want.

But with 8 scenes, how many presets will you use in a song?

To be really at ease we'd need a new chip FCB1010 "duo" on which we could have following functions :
1) Stompbox row freely assignable "upper" or "lower" row

Uno does this. Global settings in Ripwerx.

2) Exclusive on function for leds on the stompbox row (ie : only one LED on at the time, the last button pushed)

If you're not assigning stomps to stomps, why not just turn stomp mode off and have each bank be 8 scenes of a preset plus a tap tempo and tuner button? That way buttons 1-8 will always reflect what scene you're on, And the bank selected will tell you what preset?

I understand what you want to do - and you're right. I don't think it's possible to have two separate rows that independently reflect scene and preset at the same time. I, however, really can't think of any situation where I wouldn't know what preset or scene I'm on that couldn't be quickly fixed by just clicking the button for where I should be.

3) All other functions as actual FCB, keeping the liberty to assign for example "looper" commands in a bank. In that case a patch containing a looper function could take one entire bank of the fcb (one row dedicated to scene/stompbox functions), the row used for PC messages could contain the looper commands on the free 4 buttons of the other row.

Again, I think this can be done.

4) expression pedals as actual
Cheers !

Not sure what you were saying here.

Could you maybe walk us through a scenario or a song and the changes/presets/scenes you'd use? I follow what you want, but I'm confused why you want it. With 8 scenes at your disposal, and 5 presets per bank, I don't really see how you'd get too confused as to what patch/scene you're on.

Yeah I have to agree that trying to manually program anything on the FCB1010 is pure madness. Pretty much all things you need to get it up and running with the Axe-Fx is possible with the Ripwerx editor.

That said, I'd like to know what kind of setups people have on their FCBs for scenes and presets?

I've been thinking of the following:

bank 1:
- footswitches for scenes, toggle types (so button 1 does 1/2, button 2 does 3/4 etc)
- possibly fx on/off if it can be done without having stompbox mode on (as it is apparently then on for all banks on the UnO)

bank 2:
- looper controls

bank 3->
- presets. I'll most likely just need the third bank as scenes offer most variations clean/rhythm/lead variations I would need.

With the uno chip this is my setup which I just posted on another thread, and hopefully someone else may find this a useful approach.

OK so what I have done is to set up the FCB1010 ( via Ripwerx) such that
- Each of the 19 Banks only sends out one PC message, by pressing Pedal 1. i.e in Bank 5 , press pedal 1 and you are in Axe Fx Preset 5 and so on
- then set up the CC's such that pedals 2 to 8 give you scenes 2 to 8 in the same preset you are in
The beauty of that is that no matter what preset you are in pressing pedal 7 gives you scene 7 etc so easy to remember
- I made Pedal 9 turn Wah on and off in all presets but you could change this depending on what effect you use most
-Pedal 10 is for tuner in all presets
Exp A is on CC 16 for Ext control 1
Exp B is on CC 17 for Ext Control 2 as I don't use a volume pedal

I think this setup will give me all the functionality I need for my uses , but this may change down the track !!

Let me know what you think of this idea , as I have not heard of anyone doing this before.

I can't imagine ever needing more than 19 banks with 8 scenes each at my disposal for any one gig so this seems more than enough options for me but YMMV

Go to the section of the guide I posted earlier in this thread with respect to programming the EXP Pedals, and for every button you are using on the FCB1010, follow the procedure to program the Exp pedals. If you're using all 10 buttons on a bank, then you'll need to program the Exp pedals for all 10 buttons. The fact that the Exp pedals are active (you can tell by the red light being lit solid above each pedal) for one button doesn't mean that they are active for ALL buttons.

Thanks a million now I can focus on my preset sound more :)

If you're not assigning stomps to stomps, why not just turn stomp mode off and have each bank be 8 scenes of a preset plus a tap tempo and tuner button? That way buttons 1-8 will always reflect what scene you're on, And the bank selected will tell you what preset?

Arrowhead,
So , I am now doing this but with Stompbox mode turned on.
What is the difference whether Stompbox mode is on or off?
I am still able to change scenes 1 to 8 with pedals 1 to 8 with Stompbox mode turned on.

In other words, what advantage is there with Stompbox mode turned off as opposed to on?

Last edited:
Thanks for the great post. I did the steps exactly the same but got a problem, My upper row switches do the job of changing patches correctly, but when I tried to change the number 2 button to go to scene 2, it always go to patch 6, scene 2... can anyone help me about it? thanks

Thanks for the great post. I did the steps exactly the same but got a problem, My upper row switches do the job of changing patches correctly, but when I tried to change the number 2 button to go to scene 2, it always go to patch 6, scene 2... can anyone help me about it? thanks

if your preset is changing when you engage button 2, then that would indicate that the button is sending ptach change MIDI data. Inspect the programming of that button to make sure that no patch changes are being sent (all of the bottom row LEDs should be off in programming mode).

Will do it tonight thank you for the fast reply jimfist. hope it works out. i will keep you updates. thanks again.

So I tried it again last night and first made a complete factory reset to fcb1010. Followed the commands and it works great now. I think I kinda got how this midi board works. thank you so much for your help jimfist :)

Finalformsora3,

I want to thank you for your detailed instructions. My FCB was running the Eureka prom. For unknown reasons it stoped working properly. When I was turning on the unit, it was sending massive midi messages and was causing my Axe fx II to freeze! I removed the Eureka eprom, reinstalled the original FCB eprom and followed your instructions. Everything works perfectly! I am using the bottom row to change scenes, the AXE to change presets and the two 2 expression pedals. Perfect setup for me. Thank you again.

FCB 1010 stock. Programmed patch changes on top, scenes on the bottom. Turned Exp pedals on for all schene buttons, they are active. When I switch to my go to patch, I have to hit a scene button and rock the expressions up and down. I only have one expression setup for volume. I cannot figure out what is causing that particular patch to need to rock the expression pedal.

TROUBLE!

Just received my FCB1010. I followed the advice in this thread by the OP with a minor change. 6->10 are programmed to presets 6 -> 10, scenes 1->5 are programmed 1->5.

The scene selection works fine, I go between 1,2,3,4 and 5 with ease. Quick and no issues.

Preset changing is a different story. Something weird is going on. Not only does it rarely go to the correct preset, it runs through two or three random presets before settling on a preset. If I stomp on the same preset button multiple times then it goes to multiple presets. Obviously my connection is working well since the scenes work flawlessly, what is going on here? Is it an Axe-Fx setting? I notice the Midi In LED on the Axe-Fx is staying ON; I thought this was only on when a midi command is selected. I also notice after changing presets that my Axe-Fx is really lagging when using the front panel. I have tried different midi channels on Axe-Fx and FCB1010. I have connected to a demo version of iFCB (read only) and it recognizes the FCB1010's programming correctly.

TROUBLE!

Just received my FCB1010. I followed the advice in this thread by the OP with a minor change. 6->10 are programmed to presets 6 -> 10, scenes 1->5 are programmed 1->5.

The scene selection works fine, I go between 1,2,3,4 and 5 with ease. Quick and no issues.

Preset changing is a different story. Something weird is going on. Not only does it rarely go to the correct preset, it runs through two or three random presets before settling on a preset. If I stomp on the same preset button multiple times then it goes to multiple presets. Obviously my connection is working well since the scenes work flawlessly, what is going on here? Is it an Axe-Fx setting? I notice the Midi In LED on the Axe-Fx is staying ON; I thought this was only on when a midi command is selected. I also notice after changing presets that my Axe-Fx is really lagging when using the front panel. I have tried different midi channels on Axe-Fx and FCB1010. I have connected to a demo version of iFCB (read only) and it recognizes the FCB1010's programming correctly.

I tried every Axe-Fx Midi I/O option and still had no success. I finally got it to work by unplugging the Midi Input on the FCB1010. I guess I only needed one way communication. I had midi on Axe-Fx as "no thru". I guess the Axe-Fx was sending commands back when I sent a PC command that made it act crazy.

FCB 1010 stock. Programmed patch changes on top, scenes on the bottom. Turned Exp pedals on for all schene buttons, they are active. When I switch to my go to patch, I have to hit a scene button and rock the expressions up and down. I only have one expression setup for volume. I cannot figure out what is causing that particular patch to need to rock the expression pedal.

I didn't think scenes were possible with the stock 1010...How did you program them to work...??

Back
Top Bottom