FCB1010 compared to Liquid/GCP/etc

rdomain

Inspired
One question re: the other more expensive pedal boards out there. I currently run a Uno modded FCB1010 with great success. Can the other more expensive pedalboards do the following.

Running a row of preset patches with a heap of IA buttons on another row for each preset is possible I'm sure BUT within one confined preset patch; are you able to assign different cc's and values for the external expression pedals when you're selecting the different IA switches within that one patch?

eg. patch one is distorted rhythm patch with IAs for pitchshifting, wah and delay. When I hit the IA for pitchshifting, the expression pedal controls pitch. When I hit the IA for wah, the expression pedal controls frequency, etc.

Liquid-Foot (pro) can do that!

I even made this feature even more custom-friendly

I customized my Boss FV-500L (which I use ase expression pedal for my LF) with a toe-switch, connected to the Tuner-Out. From there goes an additional stereo-jack to external3 in my LF.

standard: autowah. If I use the Toe-switch it will be a volume pedal (or whatever I want) :cool:

Ok, thanks for the reply. It's good to know I've got options :) Is there anything that makes the other foot controllers that much better than the FCB1010? I actually enjoy having the 2 expression pedals built in.
I spose if I get a large one with heaps of switches I might be able to control my Repeater (looper) with the same foot controller. I'm currently running 2 FCB1010s.

Not sure if it'll be helpful to you, but I created a big chart with a lot of basic feature info. The link is in my signature...

Thanks for that. An excellent chart. I'm assuming I'm looking for "Per Preset IA Mapping"
According to your chart the FCB1010 Uno doesn't do this but it does. And it can also send separate cc commands per each IA within each Preset! This is the thing I'm wondering about the other controllers.

The Liquid Pro looks the best thus far due to the amount of switches and confirmation that it can do the above.

rdomain said:
"Per Preset IA Mapping"
According to your chart the FCB1010 Uno doesn't do this but it does. And it can also send separate cc commands per each IA within each Preset! This is the thing I'm wondering about the other controllers.

Actually, "per preset IA mapping" means that the "stompboxes" (or IA switches) get a different meaning, depending on the currently active preset. That's not the case with UnO: you just have your 5 global stompboxes, they don't behave differently depending on the selected preset. According to the chart, only LiquidFoot and Gordius would have this feature, but I believe you will find it in other controllers too (I remember I added this feature to the LittleGiant based on comments that this is how one of the "older" controllers worked - just don't remember which one it was)
The fact that you can send different CC commands for each preset, is functionality which you will find in all MIDI controllers. The number and type of different commands available for each preset is what makes the difference between the "lower end" and "higher end" units.
I introduced the LittleGiant module as an extension to the FCB1010 in order to get rid of the UnO limitation of 5 global stompboxes, and add more flexibility in the bank setup (any switch can be a stompbox - switch layout can be different for each bank). The module supports control from 2 chained FCB1010's. This means that you get control over 250 banks of 20 switches plus 4 built-in expression pedals. Unlike using 2 independent FCB's, you get a "unified" 20-switch setup which stays in sync (clicking up or down button on 1 unit will also scroll banks on the second unit), and for instance selecting a preset on the first unit can control stompbox states on the second unit. Or you can optionally use it in a mode where both FCBs are just duplicates, controlling the same setup from 2 different places.

Regards,
Xavier

Sorry I stand corrected. You are right. I've gotten confused with the whole expression control setups available for each IA. Sooooo, I'd be right in saying the FCB1010 has 5 global IA switches with the capability of assigning different expression pedal control within each IA per preset? Hope that's right! :?
Trouble is I don't have a working editor for the FCB1010 so it's hard to visualise all the actual numbers assigned in all the patches. I'm on Mac OX 10.6. Last time I looked I don't think there was an editor available.
I'll have another look at your Little Giant Module. I remember when it first came out and I had a suss then but I didn't really run the stompbox + preset idea back then.

rdomain said:
Sorry I stand corrected. You are right. I've gotten confused with the whole expression control setups available for each IA. Sooooo, I'd be right in saying the FCB1010 has 5 global IA switches with the capability of assigning different expression pedal control within each IA per preset? Hope that's right! :?
Well, the expression pedal assignment for each IA is also "global", not per preset. But it's correct that each preset can have its own stompbox activation setup (which stompboxes are on, which are off), and also its own expression pedal assignments. So when you don't do any expr.pedal setup in the stompboxes, but you keep this on the preset level, you can more or less achieve what you want, and have the expr.pedals behave differently for each preset.
rdomain said:
Trouble is I don't have a working editor for the FCB1010 so it's hard to visualise all the actual numbers assigned in all the patches. I'm on Mac OX 10.6. Last time I looked I don't think there was an editor available.
Doing an FCB setup without editor is very cumbersome indeed. There's a free editor compatible with UnO, to be downloaded here : http://www.ripwerx.com/ I believe there were some issues with Snow Leopard, but the solution seems to be related to downloading the correct Java runtime (problem with the 64-bit version I believe)
rdomain said:
I'll have another look at your Little Giant Module. I remember when it first came out and I had a suss then but I didn't really run the stompbox + preset idea back then.
Due to the high price tag for "just a module", it has to fit your needs in order to justify the investment. The trigger for me to mention it, was the fact that you already have 2 FCB's - the module can get the most out of this kind of setup.

Re: FCB1010 compared to Liquid/GCP/etc +IA issues

Ok, this is doing my head in. I've given up on having the exp pedal having a different assignment when I select an IA pedal. What I'd like is to be able to bypass that feature all together cause it's causing me grief. Basically I'll program the exp pedal A to be a wah for the patch for example. I'll then hit IA switch 7 which will turn on an effect and it'll steal the wah control from me.
If there was an editor for Snow Leopard I could probably work this out but programming the Uno chips advanced features without one is quite tricky.

Any help??
:? :x :oops: :cry:

Re: FCB1010 compared to Liquid/GCP/etc +IA issues

rdomain said:
Ok, this is doing my head in. I've given up on having the exp pedal having a different assignment when I select an IA pedal. What I'd like is to be able to bypass that feature all together cause it's causing me grief. Basically I'll program the exp pedal A to be a wah for the patch for example. I'll then hit IA switch 7 which will turn on an effect and it'll steal the wah control from me.
If there was an editor for Snow Leopard I could probably work this out but programming the Uno chips advanced features without one is quite tricky.

Any help??
:? :x :oops: :cry:
Reread Ossandust's post and you may find answers about Ripwerx.

You should reprogram IA7 to a different Controller number. You're probably running the wah and the switch on the same.

Ripworx doesn't work on Snow Leopard at all. I've tried and so have others. I DID however manage to get the editor working on the gf's laptop as she's on pc. Easy as with the editor. I tried on her's previously with my usual midi interface but Ripworx didn't like that either. I actually got it working using my Kore 2 controller as the midi interface!

Still, it'd be nice to know how to manually turn off or assign expression pedals to the IA switches. :geek:

rdomain said:
Ripworx doesn't work on Snow Leopard at all. I've tried and so have others.
I don't have a Mac to try it out, I just saw a thread on the UnO Yahoo forum titled "SOLUTION - Ripwerx FCB1010 editor with Mac Snow Leopard" and a number of follow-up messages of users confirming that the proposed solution worked for them

rdomain said:
Still, it'd be nice to know how to manually turn off or assign expression pedals to the IA switches. :geek:
If you know how to manually set expression pedals on a normal patch, you know how to do it on an "IA", because the fcb doesn't make any distinction between both: setup is identical. The only difference is in how to enter setup mode, as explained on page 19 of the UnO user guide :
"Step 0 :
Select the patch you want to configure. Its footswitch LED is turned on. Now keep the DOWN switch pressed for about 2.5 sec to enter preset configuration.
If the patch is defined as a “stomp box”, the patch cannot be “selected” (the previously selected patch stays selected). To enter patch setup for a stomp box, keep BOTH the stomp box footswitch and the DOWN switch depressed for about 2.5 sec."

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I'll jump on the forum directly and have a read!! Exciting.

And thanks for the manual programming info. I now remember doing that once but never did it again. Forgot all about it. :lol: For some reason I find the Uno manual a bit confusing and usually I'm a manual lover. :oops:

rdomain said:
Ok, thanks for the reply. It's good to know I've got options :) Is there anything that makes the other foot controllers that much better than the FCB1010? I actually enjoy having the 2 expression pedals built in.
I spose if I get a large one with heaps of switches I might be able to control my Repeater (looper) with the same foot controller. I'm currently running 2 FCB1010s.

You're using a 2nd FCB1010 just to control the AxeFX's looper or an external looper? If you want some insight into using the FCB1010 as the looper control w/o losing your IA row, see my sig.

OmegaZero said:
Not sure if it'll be helpful to you, but I created a big chart with a lot of basic feature info. The link is in my signature...

I don't know if you're talking about unmod'd, but the FCB1010 can be phantom powered.

rdomain said:

You can have '5 global IAs' or '5 dynamic IAs'. To have dynamic, you'd simply assign your IAs as External 1-5 or whatever combo you want. Then in each patch you'd have to assign what Ext1-5 do.

I do a combination of Global + Dyanamic, a behavior that carried over from my using the GT-8. I have the 1st 3 IAs as global (drive/delay/modulation . . . and the modulation is kinda dynamic. It turns on/off chorus/flanger/reverb/etc, but I don't have all 3 in each patch. 1 or another or maybe 2.) Then my 4th/5th IAs are assigned to Ext7/Ext8 and get a per patch assignment. On some patches, it's a lead boost, on others, its a different delay setting, and on another it enables/disables my effects loop.

My point is, sometimes, its' not a limitation of the device, but how you can imagine it's usage differently.

Unfortunately, I'm good at stuff like that , but I can't dial in a good tone to save my life! :(

Back
Top Bottom