FC6 vs Morningstar MC6

oceanruckus

I hadn't done as much research on these two - been out of the game for over 2 years because of the AX8.

I'm all in on the FM3 because I decided to sell my AX8 - trying to figure out a good solution with cost/size/functionality in mind. What's y'all's vote?

I like the elegance of the FC6 and how well it will work with the FM3. I also like the size of the MC6. Decisions...

I got time to figure it out. I'm thinking of keeping my Chase Bliss Tonal Recall (absolutely love that pedal) and using it in conjunction with the FM3.

I had an MC6 and sold it after I got my FC6. With that said, the MC6 was fantastic with the Axe III. A lot of work to get it setup but totally usable and quite compact. It's a great device, the downfall is the lack of integration. The FC's shine in that regard.

I have both MC 6 and FC-6.
MC 6 is great little unit. Pretty easy to program.
Works good with Axe III but:
Pros:
- can do just about anything - very versatile
- cheap
- doesn't use wall wart
- has an editor
Cons:
- no handshake sync for pedal states
- not crazy about the size - too high and pedals a bit too close together, so awkward to stomp on

FC-6:
A dream to use.

I don’t have an FC6 but @slinky005 is pretty dead on about the MC6. I love it but will almost certainly pick up the FC6 because of the elegant integration and pure sexy looks lol.

Works good with Axe III but:

I have one of these I'm working on setting up. Can you advise on setting it up with the 3? I have it working how I want but when I attach to the Axe 3 it starts jumping to odd layers. I'm guessing its getting a signal back from the Axe? I assumed you connected to both in and out in order to use the tuner, but not sure on the correct setup.

I have one of these I'm working on setting up. Can you advise on setting it up with the 3? I have it working how I want but when I attach to the Axe 3 it starts jumping to odd layers. I'm guessing its getting a signal back from the Axe? I assumed you connected to both in and out in order to use the tuner, but not sure on the correct setup.

The MC6 doesn't support the Axe FX III tuner (maybe someday?), so don't bother hooking up the Axe Fx -> MC6 MIDI cable.

I'm guessing you have your FX 3 setup to send program changes via MIDI out. The MC6 will then use the incoming program change to switch which MC6 bank/page its set to. Try disabling the "Send MIDI PC" option in the MIDI/Remote menu on the FX 3.

I don’t have an FC6 but @slinky005 is pretty dead on about the MC6. I love it but will almost certainly pick up the FC6 because of the elegant integration and pure sexy looks lol.

Same here. My MC6 works fine, but I'll be getting the FC-6 once I'm able. They're just so cleanly integrated. I'll still keep the MC6 around - I'm sure I'll find a use for it. Its a very flexible MIDI controller.

Despite having/loving an FCx, I'm still holding onto my MC6 to control looper/DAW whilst daily hoping for a new firmware that increases the number of CSs or adds send midi function so I can lose it..

The MC6 doesn't support the Axe FX III tuner (maybe someday?)

Still working through stuff, but the manuals says it does. (Mk II Version)

AxeFX Tuner
Description

Upon engagement, the MC6 will send a CC#15 message with value 127 to the selected channel. CC#15 controls the tuner function on the AxeFX. After which, the tuner page will load. Upon exit, the MC6 will send a CC#15 message with value 0 to disengage the AxeFX tuner.

Things to note

Turn off Midi Thru on your AxeFX.

Enable SysEx send on your AxeFX.

Connect your AxeFX Midi out to the MC6 Midi In

Still working through stuff, but the manuals says it does. (Mk II Version)

AxeFX Tuner
Description

Upon engagement, the MC6 will send a CC#15 message with value 127 to the selected channel. CC#15 controls the tuner function on the AxeFX. After which, the tuner page will load. Upon exit, the MC6 will send a CC#15 message with value 0 to disengage the AxeFX tuner.

Things to note

Turn off Midi Thru on your AxeFX.

Enable SysEx send on your AxeFX.

Connect your AxeFX Midi out to the MC6 Midi In
That may be relative to Axe Fx II?

Since the Axe Fx III has no default CCs, using CC 15 seems odd.

Ah, I see what I'm doing wrong. I've set my tuner bypass CC to 7, but the MC6 has a hard coded assumption that the tuner is CC15. I'll move it to CC15 on the Axe FX3 and see what happens once I'm home tonight.

Winner winner chicken dinner. That worked for the tuner. Presets are kicking to different pages on the MC 6 so once I have that figured out all will be good.

Last edited:
Try setting the midi channel on the MC6 to a different one than the Axe.
I have it setup this way so it won't send PCs to the MC.
I only use it thru USB midi - the DIN ports have nothing plugged.

Winner winner chicken dinner. That worked for the tuner. Presets are kicking to different pages on the MC 6 so once I have that figured out all will be good.
It sounds like you might have to turn off the 'MIDI thru' on the MC 6...

Sorry to be late to the party, but I ran a MC6 for nearly a year to control my III before the FC6 arrived in the UK.

The MC6 works very well, it's easy to program - as Moke has said it's a pain having to turn off Midi-thru each time you turn it on, but apart from that I used this and a Midi Mouse (to change presets on the MC6) to great affect, I had scenes, programs, tuner, tap tempo, looper etc. all working fine.

But the FC6 is a complete game changer, much easier to set-up, less fiddle - clearer screen and the colours on the rings etc. the MC6 worked alright - but it's really not a competitor in my mind, and how can it be? Fractal will always have the edge over a (very good) generic unit

Back
Top Bottom