FC6 or FC 12

jwa174900

Inspired
I use my axefx strictly for recording. I don't do live gigs anymore. Are there any benefits to having the 12 over the 6 other than the obvious of more buttons? I usually subscribe to the buy once cry once mentality but I don't want to pay for something I'll never need. TIA

Depends on your songs, possibly. If you’d like to be able to have all 8 scenes on one view for instant switching, or a lot of effects available, or a lot of presets available in one view as you record, the FC12 would cover that. It would also be handy if you wanted, say, several scenes, a couple of effects, and a few presets all at once.

If you need less, do a lot of dubbing and punching in parts, or are short on space, the FC6 might be your partner. It’s literally half a FC12.

If you don’t know, I’d go 12. More unused switches beats adding outboard switches to make up for not enough, in my opinion anyway. On the other hand, you could pick up a used FC6, try it out, and get most or all of your money back if you need to sell and upscale.

I thought I needed the FC-12 but ended up with the FC-6 because it was the only one available at the time with no clear expectation of when the FC-12 would be in stock. That was 4 years ago and after figuring out my workflow, adding a 2 button external switch and programming the FC-6 for my use, I don't have any thoughts of getting the FC-12.

You're really the only one who can answer if the FC-12 will do what you need better than the FC-6. I will say that the FC-6 with a 2 button external footswitch is incredibly versatile. I have one of the external switches configured to toggle views so I have all 12 switches in a layout readily available. The other switch accesses the Preset and Scenes layouts.

I thought I needed the FC-12 but ended up with the FC-6 because it was the only one available at the time with no clear expectation of when the FC-12 would be in stock. That was 4 years ago and after figuring out my workflow, adding a 2 button external switch and programming the FC-6 for my use, I don't have any thoughts of getting the FC-12.

You're really the only one who can answer if the FC-12 will do what you need better than the FC-6. I will say that the FC-6 with a 2 button external footswitch is incredibly versatile. I have one of the external switches configured to toggle views so I have all 12 switches in a layout readily available. The other switch accesses the Preset and Scenes layouts.
I started with the FC12, sold it and got a pair of FC6es, which I put on a pair of custom-length Duo20 boards with two controller pedals on each board, so the pedals could be in the middle, as I found I used them most. Then "Views" came, and doubled the power of my two FC6es. That lasted quite a while.

A couple years later, I have traded the one FC6 for an FM9, which can be used in tandem with my FX3 if desired, to get MOAR POWAAAAAH!!!!! :D. The controller pedals migrated to a Duo21, the FM9 lives on a Duo24, and the remaining FC6 lives on a Duo17.
20230402_035226.jpg

The extra switches on the FC6 and FM9 boards are hooked to them, and the controller pedals, sliders, and switches have been migrated to MIDI so they can be used with either and/or both....

Back
Top Bottom