FC6 - How do I assign FC6 footswitches to just change LAYOUTS so that my daisy chained FC12 simply shows ootions within each LAYOUT the FC6 selects

Radiowave

Hello, I finally have my daisy chained FC6 working which is connected to my FC12 which is connected to my AXE FX3. My question is how do I assign specific switches on my FC6 to simply select different " LAYOUTS" such as "switch 3" on the FC6 which I want to select the "PRESETS LAYOUT" and then "switch 2" on the FC6 to select the " EFFECTS LAYOUT" and the "switch 6" to select the "LOOPER LAYOUT" and then "switch 5" to select the " SCENES LAYOUT"... so that my FC12 merely shows whatever options there are each time the FC6 selects a different " LAYOUT" by tapping various switches.

I am confused and need some help BADLY, I am trying to use AXE EDIT and it's overwhelming me.

Can anybody help me understand.

I have had success in assigning external pedals and switches to control various parameters but I DO NOT understand how to make my FC6 basically a " LAYOUT SELECTOR" so I don't have to do that "ROCKING MOTION" on my FC12 to get access to and select from various " LAYOUTS".

I would be VERY thankful to anyone of you FRACTAL EXPERTS who could show me how, since I think it's probably simple, but I am STUMPED!

i'll show how when i get home from work in about 4 hours. you need to use Layout Links. this is how the OMG9 works with the FM3 + FC6.
Thank you Chris, I REALLY appreciate it... I have spent the last 8 hours to no avail and am frustrated... You are a life saver...
Greg
Wichita KS

You have to use layout links to control the layout on a different FC unit. Check out the Layout Links Example 2 on page 20 of the Fractal Footswitch Functions Guide.

Basically set each switch on the FC6 layout to pull up it's own current layout. That keeps the FC6 on that same layout when hitting the buttons. Then, set up layout links on each FC6 switch to pull up the desired layout on the FC12, and also change the display label on each FC6 switch to reflect the FC12 layout it's linked to.

You have to use layout links to control the layout on a different FC unit. Check out the Layout Links Example 2 on page 20 of the Fractal Footswitch Functions Guide.

Basically set each switch on the FC6 layout to pull up it's own current layout. That keeps the FC6 on that same layout when hitting the buttons. Then, set up layout links on each FC6 switch to pull up the desired layout on the FC12, and also change the display label on each FC6 switch to reflect the FC12 layout it's linked to.
This ^^^^

Thanks Mr Fender, in the morning I will explore that example #2 you referenced and hopefully will be able to overcome the learning curve on this issue... Hope U have a GREAT weekend and I appreciate your KIND help

ok so this isn't difficult to do, but it requires a few steps which may look long typed out, but it's pretty simple.

for this example, i'm making the FC12 the first FC and the FC6 the second FC. that means the FC12 has the FASlink XLR cable connected directly to the Axe, and the FC6 is using the power adaptor and 2nd XLR cable. you can do it either way, but when we assign things to specific FC numbers, it matters - you just have to choose the correct one depending what order you have it plugged it.

another concept to be aware of is that all FCs share the same Layouts. FC6 doesn't have its own 9 Layouts and FC12 doesn't have its own 9 Layouts for a total of 18 - the same 9 Layouts are shared. so Layout 1 on the FC6 is the exact same Layout 1 on the FC12. this isn't an issue, because we'll be using different Layout numbers, but do be aware they are exactly the same.

if you enjoy the default Layouts, i'm going to teach this in a way that keeps most of them as is. ideally, you could/should make your own Layouts that make more sense for what you need. for example, just because the default Layout 2 is "Scenes" doesn't mean they have to be only Scenes. i put Looper controls on mine as well. keeping things separated can help to teach the functions, but for actual performance, it's usually better to put what you need on a Layout so you don't need to change often.

i'm also going to show this using Axe-Edit primarily, rather than the hardware, as that's easier to show.

so here's how to do it while keeping most Default Layouts intact.

so FC12 is FC#1 and FC6 is FC#2. i've reloaded the FC12 Default Layouts, as that's our "main" controller with all the actual things to switch.

because we're using that Default, Layout 1 has Preset switches, Layout 2 has Scene switches, and so on. so we don't need to make any changes to the first 5 Layouts for this example - they already do what we want.

we are going to change Layout 6. it defaults to Per-Preset switch placeholders, but we're going to use that as our FC6 Layout for selecting the other Layouts on the FC12.

so pull up Layout 6 in the FC Controllers section of Axe-Edit. change the "Show As" area to FC6, since we're working on changing it for the FC6.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.44.56 PM.png

then click the EDIT menu near LAYOUTS and choose Reset Layout:
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.45.47 PM.png

this will clear out all switches on this Layout only, and that's what we want.

now with the blank Layout, we can add what we need to make the FC6 choose what the FC12 displays. i'm going to put things in a certain place, but of course you can put things wherever you want.

Switch 1 will make the FC12 show Presets - which is Layout 1. so first we are going to set the Tap function of Switch 1 to Layout, Select, Layout 6, View 1; and we're setting the Mini-Display Label to Custom, and typing "Presets" as the custom name.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.48.21 PM.png

we need to choose Layout 6 because we actually don't want this switch to do anything. we will already be on Layout 6 on the FC6, and we don't want anything to change on the FC6 itself. so this setting really makes it "do nothing." so whatever Layout you use for the FC6, make sure the switch is set to change to that same Layout.

now the part that will make the FC12 change: click "Edit Links" near Layout Links on the right side of Axe-Edit:
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.50.33 PM.png
that pops up a menu. remember our FC12 is FC #1 - connected directly to the FASlink XLR cable. so we just change the FC#1 area for TAP to say Layout 1, which is our Preset Layout.

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.52.33 PM.png

after this is changed, click the X on the top right to close. and that's it. now when you are in Layout 6 on the FC6, pressing and releasing Switch 1 on the FC6 will make the FC12 change to the Preset Layout. note that this change will happen when you release the switch. that's just how Layout Links work.

from here, just repeat the steps for the other Layouts. let's set Switch 2 to call our Scenes Layout, which happens to be Layout 2 by default.

you can set Switch 2 manually, or Copy and Paste Switch 1 to Switch 2, but the Layout Link won't copy - you'll have to set that up again. also remember to change the Custom Name to "Scenes."

but most important, remember that Switch 2 should also be set to Layout, Select, Layout 6, View 1. remember, we're making this switch "do nothing" when you press it. only the Layout Link is causing anything to change. we do not want the FC6 to change Layouts at all. so any switches that tell the FC12 what to do will be Select Layout 6.

the Layout Link for Switch 2 will be FC#1 - Layout 2. again, this is because Layout 2 happens to have Scene switches setup.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.58.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.57.04 PM.png

you can also change the Color of these FC6 switches to whatever you want.

so just keep repeating this for each switch, and setup the Layout Link to whatever you want the FC12 to change to.

once that is all setup, you need to make one more change so it all boots to the correct Layout when you start.

in Axe-Edit in the FC Controllers page, click "Devices" near the top right. change FC#2 (the FC6) Startup Layout to 6, and also change Current Layout to 6 as well. this means when the FC6 turns on, it will start on Layout 6, which is important because that's where the switches that we just setup live.

FC#1's Startup doesn't really matter too much because you'll be changing the FC12's Layouts with the FC6 anyway.
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 6.02.51 PM.png

and that's it.

remember on the FC6, it's the Layout Link that is making the FC12 change.

you can also put anything else like Tap Tempo and Tuner on that same page of the FC6 if you have switches you didn't use. there's really no limit, just whatever makes sense to you.

Last edited:
Hi Brian Coonan and biskitboy,

YOU GUYS ROCK and made it so simple. I cannot tell you enough how thankful I am for your help. The information that you provided explained things perfectly and in enough detail that you two should be paid for writing "HOW-TO's" for Fractal, you both would be awesome and as a magazine publisher and graphic designer for 35 years (my area of expertise), I know what I am talking about.

It truly was deceptively SIMPLE and you guys made my day and now I understand what I was not doing correctly and how to think about such issues.

I hope you both have a FANTASTIC weekend, or what is left of it and ROCK ON*****!!!

Greg
PS if you need any help with publishing, graphic design, sales consultation and marketing/advertising etc... you just let me know since I OWE you both BIG TIME!

Hi Brian Coonan and biskitboy,

YOU GUYS ROCK and made it so simple. I cannot tell you enough how thankful I am for your help. The information that you provided explained things perfectly and in enough detail that you two should be paid for writing "HOW-TO's" for Fractal, you both would be awesome and as a magazine publisher and graphic designer for 35 years (my area of expertise), I know what I am talking about.

It truly was deceptively SIMPLE and you guys made my day and now I understand what I was not doing correctly and how to think about such issues.

I hope you both have a FANTASTIC weekend, or what is left of it and ROCK ON*****!!!

Greg
PS if you need any help with publishing, graphic design, sales consultation and marketing/advertising etc... you just let me know since I OWE you both BIG TIME!
I think @chris really gets the props here! I didn’t know about the Layout Links. Check out Chris’ YouTube stuff too - a wealth of info!

ok so this isn't difficult to do, but it requires a few steps which may look long typed out, but it's pretty simple.

for this example, i'm making the FC12 the first FC and the FC6 the second FC. that means the FC12 has the FASlink XLR cable connected directly to the Axe, and the FC6 is using the power adaptor and 2nd XLR cable. you can do it either way, but when we assign things to specific FC numbers, it matters - you just have to choose the correct one depending what order you have it plugged it.

another concept to be aware of is that all FCs share the same Layouts. FC6 doesn't have its own 9 Layouts and FC12 doesn't have its own 9 Layouts for a total of 18 - the same 9 Layouts are shared. so Layout 1 on the FC6 is the exact same Layout 1 on the FC12. this isn't an issue, because we'll be using different Layout numbers, but do be aware they are exactly the same.

if you enjoy the default Layouts, i'm going to teach this in a way that keeps most of them as is. ideally, you could/should make your own Layouts that make more sense for what you need. for example, just because the default Layout 2 is "Scenes" doesn't mean they have to be only Scenes. i put Looper controls on mine as well. keeping things separated can help to teach the functions, but for actual performance, it's usually better to put what you need on a Layout so you don't need to change often.

i'm also going to show this using Axe-Edit primarily, rather than the hardware, as that's easier to show.

so here's how to do it while keeping most Default Layouts intact.

so FC12 is FC#1 and FC6 is FC#2. i've reloaded the FC12 Default Layouts, as that's our "main" controller with all the actual things to switch.

because we're using that Default, Layout 1 has Preset switches, Layout 2 has Scene switches, and so on. so we don't need to make any changes to the first 5 Layouts for this example - they already do what we want.

we are going to change Layout 6. it defaults to Per-Preset switch placeholders, but we're going to use that as our FC6 Layout for selecting the other Layouts on the FC12.

so pull up Layout 6 in the FC Controllers section of Axe-Edit. change the "Show As" area to FC6, since we're working on changing it for the FC6.
View attachment 78874

then click the EDIT menu near LAYOUTS and choose Reset Layout:
View attachment 78875

this will clear out all switches on this Layout only, and that's what we want.

now with the blank Layout, we can add what we need to make the FC6 choose what the FC12 displays. i'm going to put things in a certain place, but of course you can put things wherever you want.

Switch 1 will make the FC12 show Presets - which is Layout 1. so first we are going to set the Tap function of Switch 1 to Layout, Select, Layout 6, View 1; and we're setting the Mini-Display Label to Custom, and typing "Presets" as the custom name.
View attachment 78876

we need to choose Layout 6 because we actually don't want this switch to do anything. we will already be on Layout 6 on the FC6, and we don't want anything to change on the FC6 itself. so this setting really makes it "do nothing." so whatever Layout you use for the FC6, make sure the switch is set to change to that same Layout.

now the part that will make the FC12 change: click "Edit Links" near Layout Links on the right side of Axe-Edit:
View attachment 78877
that pops up a menu. remember our FC12 is FC #1 - connected directly to the FASlink XLR cable. so we just change the FC#1 area for TAP to say Layout 1, which is our Preset Layout.

View attachment 78878

after this is changed, click the X on the top right to close. and that's it. now when you are in Layout 6 on the FC6, pressing and releasing Switch 1 on the FC6 will make the FC12 change to the Preset Layout. note that this change will happen when you release the switch. that's just how Layout Links work.

from here, just repeat the steps for the other Layouts. let's set Switch 2 to call our Scenes Layout, which happens to be Layout 2 by default.

you can set Switch 2 manually, or Copy and Paste Switch 1 to Switch 2, but the Layout Link won't copy - you'll have to set that up again. also remember to change the Custom Name to "Scenes."

but most important, remember that Switch 2 should also be set to Layout, Select, Layout 6, View 1. remember, we're making this switch "do nothing" when you press it. only the Layout Link is causing anything to change. we do not want the FC6 to change Layouts at all. so any switches that tell the FC12 what to do will be Select Layout 6.

the Layout Link for Switch 2 will be FC#1 - Layout 2. again, this is because Layout 2 happens to have Scene switches setup.
View attachment 78881

View attachment 78880

you can also change the Color of these FC6 switches to whatever you want.

so just keep repeating this for each switch, and setup the Layout Link to whatever you want the FC12 to change to.

once that is all setup, you need to make one more change so it all boots to the correct Layout when you start.

in Axe-Edit in the FC Controllers page, click "Devices" near the top right. change FC#2 (the FC6) Startup Layout to 6, and also change Current Layout to 6 as well. this means when the FC6 turns on, it will start on Layout 6, which is important because that's where the switches that we just setup live.

FC#1's Startup doesn't really matter too much because you'll be changing the FC12's Layouts with the FC6 anyway.
View attachment 78882

and that's it.

remember on the FC6, it's the Layout Link that is making the FC12 change.

you can also put anything else like Tap Tempo and Tuner on that same page of the FC6 if you have switches you didn't use. there's really no limit, just whatever makes sense to you.
Hi Chris... I would like to pay you for a little more consultation, since you were so kind and gracious to set me straight and spent time to help me and now that I need a little more help, I want to pay you, since it is only appropriate and fair for your kind teaching expertise. This is Greg ( Radiowave) who you helped last weekend. I just bought another FC12 (which is the 3rd FC unit in the daisy chain) as you might remember my 1st FC unit that is DIRECTLY connected to my AXE FX3 is an FC12- that is daisy chained to my FC6 that is the 2nd FC unit which as you successfully instructed me now controls the first FC12 since the FC6 acts as a layout switcher for the FC12 using "LAYOUT 6" and ALL IS WELL... However I decided to buy another FC12 (the 3rd unit in the daisy chain) after the FC6.

What would you charge me to walk me through setting it up?
The bottom row(switches 1-6) of the new FC12 (3rd daisy chained FC unit) from left to right would be: (Switch1)= volume pedal 100% when OFF/ 35% when selected... (Switch 2)= AMP "CUT" is OFF when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 3)= AMP "FAT" is OFF when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 4)= CHORUS "RATE" 1.000 HZ when NOT selected/ 375HZ when selected...(Switch 5)= DELAY "TIME" 300ms when NOT selected/ 600ms when selected... (Switch 6)= REVERB "TIME" 2.40sec when NOT selected/ 1.20 when selected... (Switch 7)= top left switch on upper row of FC12) AMP " INPUT BOOST off when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 8)= AMP "INPUT DRIVE" 5.50 when NOT SELECTED and/ 7.00 when selected... (Switch 9)= AMP "VARIAC" 100% when NOT selected/ 80% when selected... (Switch 10)=CHORUS "DEPTH" 30.7% when NOT selected/ 50% when selected... (Switch 11)= DELAY "FEEDBACK" 36.7% when NOT selected/ 55% when selected... (Switch 12) =REVERB "SIZE" 40.0 when NOT selected / 20.0 when selected...

The above is easy to do with external switches but I cannot figure out how to assign the above examples on an actual FC12 for this SOLE PURPISE on THIS 3rd FC UNIT (FC12).

When I attempted to do it in AXE EDIT I started out by clearing each switch under " SWITCHES" "EDIT" and I chose "RESET SWITCH"... now all 12 switches are blank with white LED lighting that are all blank. I cannot figure out how to map these ABOVE DESIRED functions onto my 3rd daisy chained FC UNIT (FC12) so that they are ALWAYS displayed no matter what preset I have selected.

Please advise and my email is door2doorincomeinc@gmail.com so you could shoot me a price and work out details since I need some more of your time, training & knowledge and I wish to compensate you for your efforts, since it would be unfair/unjust to ask you for help a 2nd time.
Please advise,

Greg P. (A.k.a Radiowave)

Hi Chris... I would like to pay you for a little more consultation, since you were so kind and gracious to set me straight and spent time to help me and now that I need a little more help, I want to pay you, since it is only appropriate and fair for your kind teaching expertise. This is Greg ( Radiowave) who you helped last weekend. I just bought another FC12 (which is the 3rd FC unit in the daisy chain) as you might remember my 1st FC unit that is DIRECTLY connected to my AXE FX3 is an FC12- that is daisy chained to my FC6 that is the 2nd FC unit which as you successfully instructed me now controls the first FC12 since the FC6 acts as a layout switcher for the FC12 using "LAYOUT 6" and ALL IS WELL... However I decided to buy another FC12 (the 3rd unit in the daisy chain) after the FC6.

What would you charge me to walk me through setting it up?
The bottom row(switches 1-6) of the new FC12 (3rd daisy chained FC unit) from left to right would be: (Switch1)= volume pedal 100% when OFF/ 35% when selected... (Switch 2)= AMP "CUT" is OFF when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 3)= AMP "FAT" is OFF when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 4)= CHORUS "RATE" 1.000 HZ when NOT selected/ 375HZ when selected...(Switch 5)= DELAY "TIME" 300ms when NOT selected/ 600ms when selected... (Switch 6)= REVERB "TIME" 2.40sec when NOT selected/ 1.20 when selected... (Switch 7)= top left switch on upper row of FC12) AMP " INPUT BOOST off when NOT selected/ ON when selected... (Switch 8)= AMP "INPUT DRIVE" 5.50 when NOT SELECTED and/ 7.00 when selected... (Switch 9)= AMP "VARIAC" 100% when NOT selected/ 80% when selected... (Switch 10)=CHORUS "DEPTH" 30.7% when NOT selected/ 50% when selected... (Switch 11)= DELAY "FEEDBACK" 36.7% when NOT selected/ 55% when selected... (Switch 12) =REVERB "SIZE" 40.0 when NOT selected / 20.0 when selected...

The above is easy to do with external switches but I cannot figure out how to assign the above examples on an actual FC12 for this SOLE PURPISE on THIS 3rd FC UNIT (FC12).

When I attempted to do it in AXE EDIT I started out by clearing each switch under " SWITCHES" "EDIT" and I chose "RESET SWITCH"... now all 12 switches are blank with white LED lighting that are all blank. I cannot figure out how to map these ABOVE DESIRED functions onto my 3rd daisy chained FC UNIT (FC12) so that they are ALWAYS displayed no matter what preset I have selected.

Please advise and my email is door2doorincomeinc@gmail.com so you could shoot me a price and work out details since I need some more of your time, training & knowledge and I wish to compensate you for your efforts, since it would be unfair/unjust to ask you for help a 2nd time.
Please advise,

Greg P. (A.k.a Radiowave)
hmm, i don't think this can be done for all 12 parameters you want to control.

to control those types of things, you'd need to use Control Switches, and i believe there are only 6. a Control Switch can be the source of a Modifier, and you'd have to use a Modifier on those parameters to change Amp Cut Off/On, etc.

for something like Block On/Off, the FCs are designed to control that inherently, among many other options. but there is no direct FC command for "turn Amp Cut Off/On." with so many blocks and parameters available, the menu options would be very long and take up a lot of memory.

so the best you could probably do is choose 6 of those things, assuming you aren't already using a Control Switch for anything.

if you've assigned an Expression Pedal to control something like Wah or Volume, the process is the same. in Edit, right click on the parameter you want to control, like Volume in the Volume block. in the Source menu, choose Control Switch 1. use the Min and Max knobs in that Modifier screen to adjust the 35% and 100%. then make a switch on the new FC12 "Control Switch 1." that should do it.

hmm, i don't think this can be done for all 12 parameters you want to control.

to control those types of things, you'd need to use Control Switches, and i believe there are only 6. a Control Switch can be the source of a Modifier, and you'd have to use a Modifier on those parameters to change Amp Cut Off/On, etc.

for something like Block On/Off, the FCs are designed to control that inherently, among many other options. but there is no direct FC command for "turn Amp Cut Off/On." with so many blocks and parameters available, the menu options would be very long and take up a lot of memory.

so the best you could probably do is choose 6 of those things, assuming you aren't already using a Control Switch for anything.

if you've assigned an Expression Pedal to control something like Wah or Volume, the process is the same. in Edit, right click on the parameter you want to control, like Volume in the Volume block. in the Source menu, choose Control Switch 1. use the Min and Max knobs in that Modifier screen to adjust the 35% and 100%. then make a switch on the new FC12 "Control Switch 1." that should do it.
Hi Chris, thank you, I will try that tomorrow, it's a shame that only 6 can be controlled. What do I owe you? I DO appreciate your help and I don't want to indie my setup and your help is worth something to me on occasion when I can't figure something out.

Let me know and have a GREAT weekend!

G

Back
Top Bottom