FC6/12 Hypothetical Question (being as it's all hypothetical at the moment)

Rick

Axe-Master
I love the Input/Outputs being part of the grid, and the ability to have 4 of each. I also love the idea of being able to daisy chain the new foot controllers to expand what you can do with them. Thinking about that, and reading how some others use the current units, brought up a question. I didn't see this asked elsewhere, but I could have missed it. Just post the link if there is an answer elsewhere!

Scenario:
One guitar in input 1, 1 guitar in input two, routed entirely separate in the grid, to separate outputs... let's say guitar 1 going to out 1 and 2, the other to out 3 and 4 (stage monitor/mains). Now, connect two FC-6 or 12, daisy chained to the FAS-Link II connection.

Can you assign one FC6 to one guitar path, and the other to the second? If not now, is that kind of capability possible in future firmware?

I don't personally plan to use this live, but thought it could be cool for:
1. Downsizing necessary gear for rehearsals, by building a "rehearsal" preset
2. Functioning as a backup, even for bands with more than one FAS player
3. Cutting cost to bands that want to go FAS, but can't swing it.

I'm not advocating anything, saying the new unit lacks anything, saying something sucks if it isn't something else... please put away the flamethrowers! Just asking because it occurred to me that this would be a cool option for those of us that will probably incorporate more than one foot controller anyway and could make multiple uses of that.

You are in control of what each FC does. If you assign one FC to parameters in the first chain, and assign the other one to parameters in the second chain...there you are.

You are in control of what each FC does. If you assign one FC to parameters in the first chain, and assign the other one to parameters in the second chain...there you are.

Can a single switch control several parameters?

It will be a little bit tough to control both chains independently using scenes (unless they deploy my scene sets X and y concept or something similar). But you could control each chain individually using IA stomps

I love the Input/Outputs being part of the grid, and the ability to have 4 of each. I also love the idea of being able to daisy chain the new foot controllers to expand what you can do with them. Thinking about that, and reading how some others use the current units, brought up a question. I didn't see this asked elsewhere, but I could have missed it. Just post the link if there is an answer elsewhere!

Scenario:
One guitar in input 1, 1 guitar in input two, routed entirely separate in the grid, to separate outputs... let's say guitar 1 going to out 1 and 2, the other to out 3 and 4 (stage monitor/mains). Now, connect two FC-6 or 12, daisy chained to the FAS-Link II connection.

Can you assign one FC6 to one guitar path, and the other to the second? If not now, is that kind of capability possible in future firmware?

I don't personally plan to use this live, but thought it could be cool for:
1. Downsizing necessary gear for rehearsals, by building a "rehearsal" preset
2. Functioning as a backup, even for bands with more than one FAS player
3. Cutting cost to bands that want to go FAS, but can't swing it.

I'm not advocating anything, saying the new unit lacks anything, saying something sucks if it isn't something else... please put away the flamethrowers! Just asking because it occurred to me that this would be a cool option for those of us that will probably incorporate more than one foot controller anyway and could make multiple uses of that.

I like the idea of controlling both guitars with one footswitch actually. My singer plays guitar , as do I. With the III , I can pre-determine which 2 guitar sounds - sound best together , and bring it to gigs. With his guitar tied to my footswitch , I could also alter his volume or EQ during my solo parts.

I was just thinking it might be cool to set up a FC-12 for all my effects/preset/scene switching as well as tap tempo and other stuff and keep it in my main board/case with my expression pedals and external function switches and have a FC-6 separate from my main board to control looper functions exclusively for patches that I use a looper...that way I can reduce the likelihood of foot switching mishaps and potential confusion live and I can leave the FC-6 at home for gigs where I don’t do any looping. Sort of a modular approach.

Yes.

I was just thinking it might be cool to set up a FC-12 for all my effects/preset/scene switching as well as tap tempo and other stuff and keep it in my main board/case with my expression pedals and external function switches and have a FC-6 separate from my main board to control looper functions exclusively for patches that I use a looper...that way I can reduce the likelihood of foot switching mishaps and potential confusion live and I can leave the FC-6 at home for gigs where I don’t do any looping. Sort of a modular approach.

Yes.
This ^^^
I don't use more than 2 presets in a single song ever. So I thought of using a FC6 for presets - looper - layout selection and the FC12 for the in-song work. IA, Scenes, etc. All this is theoretical but the options seem wide open!

On the Axe III, you can assign a parameter to any switch you like. It's that way on every Fractal product ever made.

Hmm, I guess I wasn’t clear.

Let’s say I want an action that would switch amp channels, bypass delay and chorus, in-bypass drive. If I want to do that on the II, I’ll have to assign the same CC number to all those actions, which is a clumsy workaround, because I don’t want to do that in every preset, and sometimes I need to perform those actions separately.

Sounds like it is a workable possibility, so that's pretty awesome actually. This, for me, opens a lot of interesting possibilities for going far beyond the "one box for one player" mentality I always applied to my setup. Having more than one foot controller makes it a real option.

Let’s say I want an action that would switch amp channels, bypass delay and chorus, in-bypass drive. If I want to do that on the II, I’ll have to assign the same CC number to all those actions, which is a clumsy workaround, because I don’t want to do that in every preset, and sometimes I need to perform those actions separately.
Actually you can already assign multiple parameters to a single external controller in the Axe-Fx II (and the AX8 using the control switches). Have that external controller assigned to an IA switch. Now that single IA switch can control multiple parameters at one time, all with their own start, mid, stop, dampening, etc. settings. And each preset can have different parameters assigned to that same external controller/IA switch.

You could set up two IA switches, each using a different external control number. One could be gain/volume based stuff, and one could be affect based stuff? In each preset they could each control a different parameter, or multiple parameters.

Actually you can already assign multiple parameters to a single external controller in the Axe-Fx II (and the AX8 using the control switches). Have that external controller assigned to an IA switch. Now that single IA switch can control multiple parameters at one time, all with their own start, mid, stop, dampening, etc. settings. And each preset can have different parameters assigned to that same external controller/IA switch.

You could set up two IA switches, each using a different external control number. One could be gain/volume based stuff, and one could be affect based stuff? In each preset they could each control a different parameter, or multiple parameters.

Yes, I tried that, too, but that’s static as it always will enable or disable the same things, just as with reassigning CCs.

Basically to avoid that problem and control multiple parameter changes differently between presets we have scenes, which work perfectly fine, except they cannot be applied to only half of the preset.

Also, using IAs in midi mode you lose visual feedback.

I think I read that the FC will support control switches... But I may be wrong.

Yes, I tried that, too, but that’s static as it always will enable or disable the same things, just as with reassigning CCs.

Basically to avoid that problem and control multiple parameter changes differently between presets we have scenes, which work perfectly fine, except they cannot be applied to only half of the preset.

Also, using IAs in midi mode you lose visual feedback.
Not really the same? Reassigning CC#s would be global and affect every preset in the same way. Using external controller's lets you assign completely different parameters per preset. In one preset, that one switch may only turn on a delay. In another it may increase the input Drive on the amp, turn on a delay block, turn on a filter/mid boost, increase the reverb mix, etc........

Unfortunately, X/Y switching cannot currently be done with external controllers. Maybe this will be possible using the new channel functions in the Axe FX III?

Oh, I misread you. Yes, external controllers aren’t static. But no X/Y and no feedback.
No feedback? The IA switch LED will come on when you hit the switch. And turn off when you hit the switch again. And you can program the initial on/off status as part of the MFC 101 preset.

Back
Top Bottom