FC12 will be compatible with Axe Fx II mk I?

MIDI in todays world is kind of a shitty protocol. You run out of CCs in a jiffy with something as complex as an Axe-Fx and have to communicate the rest over MIDI SysEx messages, which most MIDI controllers don't understand or send out of the box. That's why the MFC-101 is Axe-Fx 2 specific as well. With the new controllers it seems that they don't want to support updating the floorboard controller separately but instead a firmware patch for Axe-Fx 3 will also fix or improve the capabilities of the foot controller.

If you want to control an Axe-Fx 2, you can get the MFC-101 for the easiest option or pick any number of programmable MIDI floorboards. I've used a cheap Behringer FCB1010 for years and can do everything I need with it, including controlling the looper. Of course it won't show the right lights or preset names or anything like that but it works just fine for just switching presets, scenes etc. and there are 3rd party programming software that makes the initial setup easier.

I do have an MFC but I did everything I needed to do with an old DMC Ground Control before I got the MFC. The only limitation was only 2 expression pedals. I now use 3.

MIDI in todays world is kind of a shitty protocol
Saying MIDI is a shitty protocol is a bit like saying postal mail is a shitty form of communication. It's just old and a bit slow. But it's simple and it works. It's also widely supported in our industry.

You run out of CCs in a jiffy with something as complex as an Axe-Fx and have to communicate the rest over MIDI SysEx messages ...
(N)RPN messages are designed for situations where 100+ CC messages aren't enough, so SysEx messages don't have to be the only other option. NRPNs give you over 16,000 parameters to play with, each having over 16,000 values. It starts off with 3 or 4 x CC messages, and once the parameter has been set, it's just one or 2 CC messages to vary the value.

Last edited:
MIDI in todays world is kind of a shitty protocol...

Respectfully disagree. There may be a better proprietary solution for the Axe brand product but for a protocol that was established before MS DOS was introduced to still be as robust and widely used 38 years later is anything but crappy.

We have controlled various combinations of a Fractal, Marshall Amp head, Eventide, X32 mixer, Voicelive harmonizer, Strymon Big Sky, Roland GR55, DB11 A/B Box as well as a DMX light show w/fog with one MIDI source. Mostly PC's but some CC commands for bypass or hold effects.

As well you have exampled all of the interchangeable possibilities for the Axe alone, much less touching almost every music gear manufacturer in existence that could benefit from on/off or select ability. Then add the composing capability capacities, via software instruments, is kind of a testament as to why the MIDI protocol hasn't been superseded in almost 4 decades.

Why couldn't they port the new midi block to the current Axe's & include a midi out on the FC 6 & 12?

Cliff mentioned that the FC6 and FC12 are sort of like dumb terminals talking to the Axe Fx 3. All the configurations for them are stored on the Axe Fx 3. The upshot of this is that if a FC6 or FC12 breaks, you can just get a new one and there's no programming needed to get the exact same setup as before. This in turn would mean that the controllers themselves are not actually midi controllers and are not programmable with very little smarts on the actual devices. There would be no need for them to be, as again everything, including sending midi is handled from the Axe Fx 3.

If we assume that the physical requirements (power consumption) for Faslink 2 can be handled by an Axe Fx 2. Reading between the lines even further, to make an FC6 or FC12 work with an Axe Fx 2, they would first need to implement the updated communications protocol in the old firmware, and then add all the configuration for the controller, update both the on-screen and Axe Edit controls for the FC6 and FC12. And on top of that they would need to implement the midi block if sending external midi controls would still e required.

I think it's safe to assume that this would never happen.

I'm honestly somewhat wary of MIDI as it seems like a headache to get working. But I could be wrong. I remember looking into the Behringer one back when I got my AFX and there was all kinds of talk of aftermarket chips and all that and...man...I work in IT. I don't feel like reprogramming my guitar gear. lol

That's why a little 6 switch FAS unit would be amazing...plug and play.

I've seen first gen MFCs on Reverb for under 400 bucks, friend.

Or one of these
http://bjdevices.com/en/catalog/midi-controllers/
with either factory firmware or my firmware.

Now THIS is interesting. Sure, it's MIDI too, but if it is a pain in the ass, I'll just take it out on you, GM. :p

What is this firmware you speak of?...how is it programming one of these things? All jokes aside, I'm intrigued.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

^----
Yes, I agree that if you're wary of MIDI, the new FC-6 or FC-12 will be perfect for controlling your Axe-FX III.

The BJ Devices foot controllers can be re-programmed by anyone who wants to. I've written some firmware that's extremely flexible at the cost of some complexity. But there's a basic mode as well. I also have a PC editor for the settings - you can read about it here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gm-arts-v4-firmware-for-all-bj-devices-models.124744/

^----
Yes, I agree that if you're wary of MIDI, the new FC-6 or FC-12 will be perfect for controlling your Axe-FX III.

The BJ Devices foot controllers can be re-programmed by anyone who wants to. I've written some firmware that's extremely flexible at the cost of some complexity. But there's a basic mode as well. I also have a PC editor for the settings - you can read about it here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gm-arts-v4-firmware-for-all-bj-devices-models.124744/

Nice. I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Or one of these
http://bjdevices.com/en/catalog/midi-controllers/
with either factory firmware or my firmware.

That would require an update to work properly with the III though.

I use my MFC101 to also switch on/off my vocal effects on my Vocal processor (I dedicate one switch on the MFC for this as well as an expression foot pedal into the MFC to switch in/out my harmonies - would this not be possible anymore on the FC?

It appears that currently (I don't have either the III or the FC) it can only send events when scenes are changed. Things may change by the time it's released. The III is a month away, the controllers will appear even later than that.

So who knows.

If you've ever used a Line6 FBV with one of their amps or processors...then you understand what the new FC paradigm is...if I understand at all. And it's pretty slick actually...except for the fact that it doesnt use a 'standard' protocol.

Essentially the controller sends a 'this button was pushed' or 'this controller value is now XXX' message...and the Axe3 will deal with it appropriately...and then return a message to the controller that says 'your displays now say this' and 'these LEDs should be on/off/blue/red'

If its anything like the FBV protocol ... there is a serial (RS488 duplex) packet for each object (screen, led, switch) containing a start byte, a length byte, a object address byte, a control byte and N value bytes. I can't wait to try to sniff it. I've been goofing around with a translator for the FBV for too long.

If you've ever used a Line6 FBV with one of their amps or processors...then you understand what the new FC paradigm is..

Well, the paradigm itself is super cool and certainly a great step in the right direction, as the sad fate of the MFC suggests.

The only question is how much of this new potential will be implemented and when.

Man...that really sucks. I would LOVE a simple, small, less expensive controller for my Axe II. I really just want to be able to be able to control the looper. Hard to justify the cost of the big MFC just for that...

I would recommend http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/mastermind-lt/ as far as small pedals to control Axe-Fx, I have heard bad things about FAMC from owners of it on this and other forums. Can't remember if it was was just general support issues or hardware related, but it steered me away from it. I have been using the RJM for a few months now and has been great (and software wise very easy to setup with Axe-Fx / presets etc...).

I would recommend http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/mastermind-lt/ as far as small pedals to control Axe-Fx, I have heard bad things about FAMC from owners of it on this and other forums. Can't remember if it was was just general support issues or hardware related, but it steered me away from it. I have been using the RJM for a few months now and has been great (and software wise very easy to setup with Axe-Fx / presets etc...).

Sounds good. I'll check it out! Thanks.

So...wait a minute...

Just looked at it...you're recommending the $400 3rd party controller over the OEM controller?

Back
Top Bottom