FC: which external switches?

I really prefer lower profile switches like this for time-sensitive functions. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalSquare--m-audio-sp-1-sustain-pedal

You can easily hover your foot over it with your heel on the ground and press it when ready. Comes in handy when singing during a change, as you can get your foot in position at a more opportune time, and easily rest it there and hit the switch when needed, without having to look down.

I use one like this (it's an all metal one that I got years ago from 'Grainger') for launching backing tracks, some times mid song, while singing backing vocals. https://www.grainger.com/product/LINEMASTER-Light-Duty-Foot-Switch-2W810

The typical switches work great for in between song stuff, like Banks, Tuner, Tap Tempo, etc...

Last edited:
small hijack here but I've been looking for a cheap easy switch for my MFC101 for volume +/-. that Mosky looks like it would work

I really prefer lower profile switches like this for time-sensitive functions. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalSquare--m-audio-sp-1-sustain-pedal

You can easily hover your foot over it with your heel on the ground and press it when ready. Comes in handy when singing during a change, as you can get your foot in position at a more opportune time, and easily rest it there and hit the switch when needed, without having to look down.

I use one like this (it's an all metal one that I got years ago from 'Grainger') for launching backing tracks, some times mid song, while singing backing vocals. https://www.grainger.com/product/LINEMASTER-Light-Duty-Foot-Switch-2W810

The typical switches work great for in between song stuff, like Banks, Tuner, Tap Tempo, etc...

The great thing about these latest updates (FX 5.07 and FC 1.06) is we now have a lot of additional switch options if using an FC. Whether using a single FC-6, like myself, an FC 12, or multiple FC's . You can never have too many ways to make a rack mount unit change things on command using only your feet when you hands are else wise busy (but yes you can have more switches than you can remember what their purpose is LOL ) !

The Drum Machine switch definitely feels a bit more stable. Has rubber on the bottom also. Switch spacing is less than the FC spacing. I have bigger work type boots on and can hit each switch ok. Spacing is wider on the other switch box, but that one is less sturdy.

For both of these, I had to set the 'reverse' polarity option for things to function the way you would expect for tap and hold. After that was resolved, works great!

The profile is low enough on the Drum Machine box that it may work sitting right in front of the FC. Here are some pics of various arrangements. (The FC-6 is someone else's I'm helping setup). Honestly my biggest challenge now is there are too many options!!! I suppose if I'm only using two expression pedals, I could add two more switches using the unused pedal jacks also.

View attachment 54708 View attachment 54709 View attachment 54710 View attachment 54713
View attachment 54711 View attachment 54712

How did you set the polarity? I’m having an issue for tap/tuner where sometimes a light tap will execute the tuner.

Would something like the Mission Engineering TT2 external footswitch work as a stand in switch?

Sorry I’d post a link but I’m new to the forum so it won’t let me attach a link just yet

Would something like the Mission Engineering TT2 external footswitch work as a stand in switch?

Sorry I’d post a link but I’m new to the forum so it won’t let me attach a link just yet

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/multi-use-exp/tt2/

"The TT-2 is switchable between TRS and TS mode. TRS mode supports two switches on a single cable compatible with devices such as the Line 6 HX Stomp, Eventide H9, Fractal Audio MFC, and RJM Mastermind. In this mode you can connect both switches to the device with just a single TRS cable, removing the need for Y cables or adapters."

Looks like it should work. You could use TRS mode.

I got Dan from T1M to make me 2 dual tap tempo boxes, each wired to a TRS jack. I think I paid like $40 a piece for them. I also ordered 2 of his Mini Expression pedals to use for various controls in blocks .... mostly Delay mix or Reverb mix .... that I can adjust on the fly with the end of my foot if I want. I used them with my Axe FX XL/MFC rig for years .... they transitioned right over to the Axe III/FC.

FC-6 Pedalboard.jpg

Just got my FC-12 and am still working out how to best set it up.

I decided to go for max flexibility and portability so I will be be mounting it to a Temple Audio Trio43 pedalboard (when I get that - its also currently out of stock) along with 4 expression pedals, 2 dual foot switches, and a STOMP bluetooth page turner.

After MUCH consideration, I decided to go for the Boss FS-6 foot switches because they maximize flexibility; each switch can be configured as latching or momentary, and there is a polarity switch as well. Since I don't know where I'm going to land with use of each of the switches, I wanted the ability to configure as needed.

The only real downer for the FS-6 was that it is ONLY battery powered (can't understand why they didn't add a 9v powersupply jack), which to me was unnaceptable for semi-permanently mounting to a pedalboard. To get around this I bought a couple of 9v battery snap connectors and soldered them to a standard 2.1mm plug. The only issue is that you have to reverse the polarity when you solder the wires together, otherwise the switch won't work.

To keep my board free from need for an external power chord (apart from FASlink for the FC-12), I got a Mission Engineering 529 USB power supply, and then bought a 20000mAh powerbank at Best Buy - these will provide many hours of power for the switches and page turner, and if need be can keep my iPad going through a show as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to set up the switches-at least the expression pedals were easy. LOL

Back
Top Bottom