FC Setlist and Song modes

We also have a strict 'No Phone or iPad on stage' philosophy!:)
Gotcha - that certainly makes all the difference in setups. My FC has Next Song and Reselect Song (to trigger BH midi send and automations) buttons programmed so I can use only pedal as well. And I have my iPad on stage running FOH and IEM mix, processing changes to Axe patches and scenes and Lighting scene changes before, during and after songs, along with turning on and off vocal effects during songs or speaking parts. If all I had to do was chords and words in my two bands, life would be great indeed, and no iPad needed! In my opinion, I need a soundman and a lighting man... let me play guitar and sing!

:), Thankfully we have a sound guy running FOH full time, and he has the iPad! I don't envy you having to do all that stuff and play and sing! :)

The next iteration of this setup will probably be to put it all in a separate pedal!

We also have a strict 'No Phone or iPad on stage' philosophy! In my opinion if you don't know the chords or the words, then you are not ready to play the song live!
while i agree with the 2nd part of that statement (and i think 80% of weekend bands should realize that statement ;) ), i personally perform with my phone that has lyrics.

when i gig, i have a rep of about 400 songs and growing. at this point in my life, i can't remember the lyrics to 400 songs all the time. chords i usually have no issue with, except the occasional tricky song or part.

if my band had a set list of 30 songs prepped ahead of time for a specific gig, i'd learn the words no problem. but for what i do, where requests are plentiful, i'd rather have the lyrics there so i can perform the song well, rather than start, forget a verse, make something up, or similar.

often i get a request for a song not even in my BandHelper app, and i google the lyrics if i have heard the song before, and figure it out right there. people are more forgiving with chords than words, and i'd rather have the words there to be solid on at least that. melody and chords i usually have no problem with.

on a typical night, i would perform 40 - 50 songs in 3 hours, all ranging from that 400+. i just can't remember that many lyrics. i know some people can, and that's just amazing to me.

one of my usual duo partners had the "no phone" approach in general. so he'd keep his ipad in his guitar bag. but then someone requests a song he didn't know the words for. he then turns around, opens the gig bag, powers on the ipad, waits for it to boot, gets the ipad mic holder, sets it up, puts the ipad on the stand, connects to the internet, searches for the song, then plays the song. yup 3 minutes of dead air at a live gig.

to me, if you're in that situation, having it there, ready to go, is much better than "proving" you can gig without it, but then taking all that time to use it at some point.

of course we may be talking about completely different gig situations, but just some insight on why i personally choose to always have my phone and lyrics there.

i think placement and device choice is important too though. many colleagues of mine use a 12.9" iPad, set up directly in front of their face like a TV, completely blocking their face from view of most of the audience. some use their device chest level, or even knee level, so it's not blocking their face, but then they are performing while looking down the entire time. i try to put my phone - a small device - just below chin level, and i have it angled as flat as possible (parallel to the ground) so that from the audience POV, it's a thin line of something, not blocking my face.

eyes and vision are different for everyone, so i don't judge their needs. but as a performer, if i watch someone and all i can see is the full back of an ipad, it leaves a little to be desired.

Last edited:
For ages I've been trying to convince our singer of this... wasted time I'm afraid LOL
We are a weekend warrior sort of band and our repertoire hoovers around 50 songs which is a whole different ball game compared to 400 active duty songs. Sorry, should‘ve mentioned this 😅

Setlist Control Update:!!! Firstly, lets start by stating that I am a complete idiot! While I was pratting around with Bluetooth and possible other Midi hardware, I failed to realize that all I had to do was plug the bloody pi directly into the AxeFx with a standard USB cable, and that the pi would automatically recognise it as a midi device! Duhhhhhh :) ( It has to be said that I am surprised that no one else picked me up on this!!!! :)). Anyway, that being said, that's exactly what I did, and it works perfectly! This makes life a whole lot simpler, cheaper and easier to program, because we don't have to wait for bluetooth devices to bootup etc. I'll post some pics tomorrow :)

Setlist Control Update:!!! Firstly, lets start by stating that I am a complete idiot! While I was pratting around with Bluetooth and possible other Midi hardware, I failed to realize that all I had to do was plug the bloody pi directly into the AxeFx with a standard USB cable, and that the pi would automatically recognise it as a midi device! Duhhhhhh :) ( It has to be said that I am surprised that no one else picked me up on this!!!! :)). Anyway, that being said, that's exactly what I did, and it works perfectly! This makes life a whole lot simpler, cheaper and easier to program, because we don't have to wait for bluetooth devices to bootup etc. I'll post some pics tomorrow :)
Hi Simon, this sounds like a neat setup, I wanted to make sure I completely understand, seems like with the USB connection to the PI from the AXE 3 you can send a command triggered by the FC-12 to the Pi via the AXE 3, and the Pi can send back a midi patch change on the same USB cable connection? I’d be very interested in the program you use and a detailed setup description. Of course for that I’d be happy to pay for tutoring 😊

Hi Simon, this sounds like a neat setup, I wanted to make sure I completely understand, seems like with the USB connection to the PI from the AXE 3 you can send a command triggered by the FC-12 to the Pi via the AXE 3, and the Pi can send back a midi patch change on the same USB cable connection? I’d be very interested in the program you use and a detailed setup description. Of course for that I’d be happy to pay for tutoring 😊
Hi, how you described it is exactly how it works. I'm still messing around with a few start up issues but I hope to have them ironed out shortly. Watch this space for updates. :)

Hi, how you described it is exactly how it works. I'm still messing around with a few start up issues but I hope to have them ironed out shortly. Watch this space for updates. :)
Hi Simon, I’m confused about one thing: I understood that the Axe III does not send midi out over USB (it only receives), in which case how does the midi travel from the III to the Pi? Am I missing something?

Pretty sure that the AxeFx's can send and receive midi over USB. In fact the Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot both use that communications channel to update patches and backup, etc. But the midi block is only on the AxeFx III and FM3, and it can't send midi over USB, per the wiki page.

Pretty sure that the AxeFx's can send and receive midi over USB. In fact the Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot both use that communications channel to update patches and backup, etc. But the midi block is only on the AxeFx III and FM3, and it can't send midi over USB, per the wiki page.
That's exactly my point, per the wiki and info on the forum you can't send CC's triggered from the midi block or Control Switches over USB, they only go out to the DIN connector. Hence my question to Simon how it's working in his setup if he's only connected through the USB? I'm curious in case there's a trick that could help me simplify my own setup and get rid of bluetooth.

Hi Simon, I’m confused about one thing: I understood that the Axe III does not send midi out over USB (it only receives), in which case how does the midi travel from the III to the Pi? Am I missing something?
I don't have an axe III, I'm using an axe II. I would find it incredulous that an Axe III would not send messages out of it's USB Midi port! Can someone please verify this please?

I just added a midi block to a patch with cc data commands. The Test Row button on the midi block config does not cause it to send the command over usb neither does a scene change. Also noted it doesn't send program change out the usb midi port either if that's turned on. Running MIDI-OX with midi ports set to the AXE FX III's causes AxeEdit to freak out - there's a lot of SysEx going back and forth. I've got an AxeFx II here also - when I get a chance I'll check how different that is.

I don't have an axe III, I'm using an axe II. I would find it incredulous that an Axe III would not send messages out of it's USB Midi port! Can someone please verify this please?
Ah that explains, sorry somehow I had assumed you were using a III.

Regarding the Axe III and midi over USB here it is in Cliff's own words:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-version-2-03.145132/page-8#post-1718184
There is also a wishlist thread related to it:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ability-to-route-midi-to-from-usb.145747/

Pls implement the Setlist Mode with the next updates. I am not capable of setting up midi and ipad and xy features and tools around the Axe III and FC12 I haver just ordered. I am sure there are thousands of less sophisticated amateurish cover band live players like me who urgently wait for this feature. It was so easy with the MCF101 and Axe II.

Other than that, I was always very satisfied with FAS since the Ultra. To learn that the setmode is not available anymore came like an unbelievable surprise.

Last edited:
Wouldn't put it like that but yes: I would very much appreciate set-/songlist mode too.
However, regardless set-/songlist mode, I am and will remain a loyal yet very unsophisticated 😎 AF3 / FAS fan!
FAS rocks 🤘

Back
Top Bottom