FC Setlist and Song modes

+1.

I'm also very interested to know about any plans for set/song lists for the FC-x. I used this feature extensively with my MFC-101, and liked that fact that I could store multiple shows' worth of set lists. That way I could call up an entire night's worth of songs with just a few taps of my toe, instead of having to connect the AFX to a computer prior to each show.

I realize I can store several versions of presets lists in the AFX now, but A) it creates multiple copies of the same presets, which can be problematic if I need to tweak an individual preset, and B) with fewer preset slots* than the XL+, I have to decide between storing multiple sets of the same preset or saving the factory/3rd party presets I like to keep handy.

* I'd gladly give up 512 cab slots for an extra few hundred preset slots.

I’m sure it’ll be implemented. I can’t see any reason for removing what’s come to be a vital and standard feature for a foot controller. I do like that you can tweak the FC settings without having one. That’s kept me busy as I wait for my invite to show up.

The FC itself can only work with the III, it can’t do anything on its own. The MFC was a stand alone device which could work with other midi products. As such, I don’t know if it’s possible to add a song mode like the MFC had, unless they add it to the III itself.

It could be possible I’m sure, but the MFC and FC just operate in totally different manners

it most likely will have to be implemented on the Axe, not the FCs.

Understood and agreed. Still want it, though.

For my inaugural run of the Axe-Fx III and FC-6 this weekend, I'll be jumping back and forth from my Presets layout to my Performance layout between each song. Play a song, hit a button to get to the Presets layout, tap + or - to display the preset name, tap and then hold that button to jump to the preset and return to the Performance layout. (All 45 or so of the presets are grouped together in alphabetical order, and with the FC-6 I can only display 4 names at a time.) This, times about 35. I'll miss the single button tap to go to the next song on the list.

Last edited:
Page 27 in the FC Manual talks about PC Mapping and makes it sound like this is the way to implement Set Lists. I don't have an FC yet but was wondering if anyone has tried this and is it an effective way to implement set lists? Agree that having a Set List option is pretty critical.

Last edited:
Page 27 in the FC Manual talks about PC Mapping and makes it sound like this is the way to implement Set Lists. I don't have an FC yet but was wondering if anyone has tried this and is it an effective way to implement set lists? Agree that having a Set List option is pretty critical.
I think that would be a huge pain to setup and change.

You can change the bank size of the preset screen to be 6, and use the hold for bank up/down, might help a little....

Also you can set it up so that when you select a preset, it also automatically goes back to the performance layout, so that saves another manual change

Isn’t ideal I know but those two things made changing presets a lot easier for me

You can change the bank size of the preset screen to be 6, and use the hold for bank up/down, might help a little....

Also you can set it up so that when you select a preset, it also automatically goes back to the performance layout, so that saves another manual change

Isn’t ideal I know but those two things made changing presets a lot easier for me
But that requires you to have all your presets arranged "near" each other.

Things like Set mode allow you to define a "set" of presets regardless of where they are in the preset slots.

Things like Set mode allow you to define a "set" of presets regardless of where they are in the preset slots.

I know, I was just saying that if you do have to back through a bunch of presets that it’s easier with a bank size of 6 than 4 since your getting more presets per bank

As I said, not ideal, but if there is no set list mode, and he’s got a 6 to work with, it’s probably the best it’s going to get

Unix guy said it best. The location of the preset should not matter. I think the best way for FAS to handle this would be to add 2 or 3 new "BANK's" of presets. BUT they are only a holding place for 1 2 or 3 custom set lists. Each list can be sorted or re-ordered using drag and drop. Each could be custom named of course. Then add a pop-up in "preset manager" to add to set list and choose which list to add to. Then all that happens is each preset in the set list is simply mapped to it's actual preset location. So if a "Pink Floyd - Time" preet is in Bank "A", preset location 34, then in Set List Bank could be in set list A, location 1. Then when using FC-6 / 12 it's simply another option in FC Controller options in Axe Edit. So internally the Axe III simply maintains the mapping from one song in preset list to the actual location in the Set List Bank A, B or C. Should be Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Hope they add the song/set list, its crucial to a gig. I just step through the sets. So what do we do for gigs?

For the time being I'm keeping all my presets in alphabetical order, and calling them up individually with my FC-6. Each bank is just four songs (presets), so if I'm going from Behind Blue Eyes to Weather With You, it takes a fair amount of tap dancing.

Personally I'm using PC mapping for a makeshift set list function. In my Rush tribute, I use a MIDI Mouse mounted to my Bass Pedals to remotely switch guitar sounds when I'm too far away from FC. This doubles as a way to step through presets for a gig. Agree with unixguy that this is a royal pain in the ass but effective none the less.

If the Rush group played every weekend, I'd pull my hair out having to redo midi map constantly, but since we gig every couple months not too terrible.

My wish for FC if Fractal doesn't intend a dedicated set list function would be to be able to program Midi Map in Axe-Edit....

I know its a bit off topic, but thought maybe there was value in sharing my setup as an option, or in case this wish doesn't get implemented and you still desire to work with setlists. I use Bandhelper (BH) on my iPad and/or iPhone to do a lot of other stuff in addition, but one thing it can do for you in conjunction with a midi connection (I use a Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth plugged into my III midi ports) is change presets/scene - basically anything you assign a midi number to in the Axe, you can send (or toggle on/off) with BH. In BH any midi command(s) you associate with that song will follow that song, wherever you move it in the setlist.

I think FracPad also has a setlist option, but don't have any experience with it.

Understood and agreed. Still want it, though.

For my inaugural run of the Axe-Fx III and FC-6 this weekend, I'll be jumping back and forth from my Presets layout to my Performance layout between each song. Play a song, hit a button to get to the Presets layout, tap + or - to display the preset name, tap and then hold that button to jump to the preset and return to the Performance layout. (All 45 or so of the presets are grouped together in alphabetical order, and with the FC-6 I can only display 4 names at a time.) This, times about 35. I'll miss the single button tap to go to the next song on the list.

Use layout links to make it so when you select a preset it automatically returns to performance mode.

Use layout links to make it so when you select a preset it automatically returns to performance mode.

Yep, that'll save the "hold" step, but it's stlll a long way away from a single tap to go to the next song on the set list.

Back
Top Bottom