FC Per Preset import

joeflorio

Hello all. I'm a newbie and just received my FM9 Turbo. I have significantly customized my FC Menus and FC Per Presets. I was wondering if there was a way to import an entire per-preset setup from one Preset sound to another. I've found I can copy and paste one-by-one but this is cumbersome and time consuming since I would like all my Preset sounds to have a standardized FC Per Preset layout. I have built a Preset template with the FC Per Preset configuration and have attempted to copy the modeling blocks into the template but this didn't really work and required a huge amount of reconfiguration. Any direction would be appreciated.

I suspect you've already found the answer: by definition these settings are per preset and as such would be need to be stored as part of the preset.

However, if you want these settings globally, just edit the layouts (which are global) rather than using per-preset and then override only the preset-specific changes in those presets requiring differences.

Yeah. Every other part of the Preset can be exported and imported, I just thought maybe these could be too. Thanks for the help!!!

Hello all. I'm a newbie and just received my FM9 Turbo. I have significantly customized my FC Menus and FC Per Presets. I was wondering if there was a way to import an entire per-preset setup from one Preset sound to another. I've found I can copy and paste one-by-one but this is cumbersome and time consuming since I would like all my Preset sounds to have a standardized FC Per Preset layout. I have built a Preset template with the FC Per Preset configuration and have attempted to copy the modeling blocks into the template but this didn't really work and required a huge amount of reconfiguration. Any direction would be appreciated.
I think that the per-preset level of the firmware and editor doesn't get as much attention as other sections of the system; They're kind of a backwater. There are existing requests to have some of the interface improved, such as implementing drag-and-drop in addition to the existing individual copy-and-paste so we can move assignments around more easily.

The issue with being able to save/export and import the assignments is similar to trying to do the same with scenes because presets can vary so much that the chance of destructive changes occurring is really high, and programming in the defensive logic to avoid the multitude of potential problems would be very costly in time and money, with a high likelihood of holes being missed in the logic. That'd be a worse situation because the damage could occur where it wasn't immediately visible and probably wouldn't be discovered until much later. It'd be a bad user experience all the way around, so rather than try to implement something that is likely to run into problems it's better to back off and stick with what works, even if it takes more effort on our part.

I'd recommend spending some more time working with, and looking inside the factory layouts, both to get a feel for how they work by default and to understand why they work that way. Save your existing work and return to it later; You'll then be in a better place to implement your own changes/improvements. Fractal put in a lot of functionality into the factory layouts but obviously couldn't customize them for every user. Understanding the basic layouts and their "flow" made it a lot easier for me to piggyback on their work and make a few tweaks and have a consistent feel across the FM3+FC6, FM9, and FX3+FC12.

@Greg Ferguson Greg, I don't agree. The AX8 has shown it's doable and stable. As I view it FAS tried to integrate an FC6+FM3 into the FM9 from a UI perspective. While architecturely this might make a lot of sense from a firmware design perspective I just don't think this is the best possible solution for an integrated device such as the FM9.

As I view it FAS tried to integrate an FC6+FM3 into the FM9 from a UI perspective.

All the current Fractal devices use a common form factor of a 12 button layout - it has nothing to do with "integrating" anything.

The only difference is how many of those can be visible at one time.

The FM9 can only use 1 Layout at a time, while the FM3 and FC-6 can each be using different Layouts and/or Views.

Ditto on the FC Per-Preset page export/import, or even just a whole page copy/paste.
I tweaked the layouts to my most common denominators, usually work with scenes within presets, added some PP overrides in presets here and there, but some presets I'd like to work with completely differently (e.g., preset specific effects layout, stomp box style), so some of them might share a basic template and end up tweaked again, but at least I could move a baseline template from somewhere else.

Simplest workaround would be to copy an existing preset that has all the per-preset assignments you want in place and then build the new preset from there.

Back
Top Bottom