FC Pedals - Clear way to tell difference between tap and push and hold function selection

AZG

Experienced
As far as I can tell, when I set a foot-switch to do one thing on tap and another on push and hold, there is no clear way to tell you are on the push and hold option. Tap clearly turns the LED ring on/off, but push and hold option is just dimmed. It would be nice if the ring LED did something like double blink or the LCD displayed what is currently in use. Anything to make it clear that tap vs push and hold is selected.

I noticed that and it helps. But it’s still confusing and a little clunky IMO. I’m betting Fractal could come up with a more eloquent solution pretty easily if they want.

I second this - when I engage the hold function, there's no way to look at the unit later and see that it is engaged. For example I have DLY1 on tap, and DLY2 on hold. When I engage DLY2, after the initial notification there's no feedback that it's actually engaged. What would I prefer? Perhaps keep the mini screen in inverted mode and light the led when the hold function is active. That way I can see, oh I have DLY2 engaged, and the screen being dark I know I have to hold to disengage. I know I know, it should be obvious it's engaged by listening, but I would like the visual feedback.

And, as a later add-on after the manual was written, when reveal hold is engaged, you can see the status of the hold switches and use the hold functions by simply tapping them.
Cool... I could not remember if that was implemented. I actually found the thread where Bryant said he would try to implement it but couldn't remember if it was or not.

Is there a global setting to control the behavior?

Cool... I could not remember if that was implemented. I actually found the thread where Bryant said he would try to implement it but couldn't remember if it was or not.

Is there a global setting to control the behavior?
I'll have to check on that after brekky. If it is, it is one where 'set and forget' is an apt descriptor....

Last edited:
Yeah I have the hold reveal on a hold function ironically, shared with tap for tuner. I didn’t think of assigning it to a tap... I guess either way it’s still more than a quick glance. The screens take almost a second to show all the holds and the whole process is a little distracting.

What I’d love is an option to leave a pedal in hold reveal mode when the hold function is engaged (led on and lcd in reverse), and maybe then a single tap to disengage and go back to normal mode. In other words they would be mutually exclusive.

And, as a later add-on after the manual was written, when reveal hold is engaged, you can see the status of the hold switches and use the hold functions by simply tapping them.

Oooh I just re-read this... I have hold reveal as hold+momentary. Perhaps I need it tap+toggle instead.

What I’d love is an option to leave a pedal in hold reveal mode when the hold function is engaged (led on and lcd in reverse), and maybe then a single tap to disengage and go back to normal mode.

I have similar function but different approach. Assuming you have a layout available, and are using a button tap to get to hold reveal anyway -

why not program the tap to recall a different layout instead of using hold on your buttons at all. I then program the same button tap to return to my home layout.

best of both worlds. My rings are dim when bypassed, bright when engaged. Not using the hold function any more, except for a few buttons. Can even use the layout link if you want it to automatically jump back to home layout.

so many options...

Interesting idea... I usually have 4 most common effects across the top, with hold for wilder variants. I then have scenes 1-4 across the bottom, with hold for 5-8 which are more for specific songs. So I think I would want it to return to the ‘normal’ layout anyway, which would then not show the hold function as I understand it.

It’s not a huge deal but I do find that I want to just glance down to see if I have a hold function engaged, mostly for the IAs along the top. I never have the tap and hold effects engaged at once so a mutually exclusive mode would be awesome.

As far as I can tell, when I set a foot-switch to do one thing on tap and another on push and hold, there is no clear way to tell you are on the push and hold option. Tap clearly turns the LED ring on/off, but push and hold option is just dimmed. It would be nice if the ring LED did something like double blink or the LCD displayed what is currently in use. Anything to make it clear that tap vs push and hold is selected.
After using the FC more I really wish Fractal would come up with a good way to show the difference between tap and push and hold functions. I'm thinking the following might work pretty well.
  1. On push and hold functions change the scribble strip to show what is currently selected. Basically leave the color reversed label on the scribble strip after releasing.
  2. Slowly pulse the switch LED between medium and high brightness for push and hold functions.
So for example, If I have a switch with Scene 1 on tap and Scene 4 on hold. Tapping for Scene 1 stays as is now. Push and hold for Scene 4 reverses the color of the label to say Scene 4 or whatever you name it, and then slowly pulses the switch LED between medium and high brightness.

Back
Top Bottom