FC Off Option

Don Watters

Inspired
I’d like an option to turn the FC off that’s getting its power from the Axe FX III. I have two FC’s and since one isn’t powered by the Axe FX III, I have the ability to turn the FC on or off separately from the other FC. Most of my studio time, I’m not using the FC and so I have the additional FC turned off. When I leave the studio at night I usually leave rack gear turned on, but turn off all accessories. It would just be a nice to have feature.

I’d like an option to turn the FC off that’s getting its power from the Axe FX III. I have two FC’s and since one isn’t powered by the Axe FX III, I have the ability to turn the FC on or off separately from the other FC. Most of my studio time, I’m not using the FC and so I have the additional FC turned off. When I leave the studio at night I usually leave rack gear turned on, but turn off all accessories. It would just be a nice to have feature.
I’m curious - why do you leave all the rack gear turned on?

I’m curious - why do you leave all the rack gear turned on?

Just a habit I’ve been in for years. They didn’t used to have all of the displays they have now, so burn in wasn’t an issue. It was just about keeping power supplies, tubes, caps, etc loaded up. I’ve been working on electronics for over 30 years and the power on and off cycles are the worst part of dealing with electrical issues in gear. My mentor taught me this, and I’ve just continued to this belief. Gear that doesn’t have power supplies is usually pretty safe to power cycle. Especially if the power supply is external. This is probably just old wives tale bs at this point, because electronics has changed so much, but I just believe in it, after seeing the results.

Just a habit I’ve been in for years. They didn’t used to have all of the displays they have now, so burn in wasn’t an issue. It was just about keeping power supplies, tubes, caps, etc loaded up. I’ve been working on electronics for over 30 years and the power on and off cycles are the worst part of dealing with electrical issues in gear. My mentor taught me this, and I’ve just continued to this belief. Gear that doesn’t have power supplies is usually pretty safe to power cycle. Especially if the power supply is external. This is probably just old wives tale bs at this point, because electronics has changed so much, but I just believe in it, after seeing the results.
Interesting. Guess doesn’t affect the power bill too much, depending on how much gear you have?

Interesting. Guess doesn’t affect the power bill too much, depending on how much gear you have?

In my opinion, it’s less expensive than replacing gear. I don’t really think about the electrical bill as being part of the equation though. It’s usually about what’s easiest and fits with my workflow, plus keeping things running.

Back
Top Bottom