FC Help Needed

YES.....there ABSOLUTELY is a DEFAULT layout. You DO see it in the setup menu on the Axe Fx iii itself - see the picture below.

My "startup" layout was set to 4, so consequently layout 4 kept showing up.

View attachment 59439
In order for the new startup layout number to take effect, the Axe III needs to be restarted. Restarting the FC Controller only doesn't apply the change.

Actually, I think (not 100% certain) that it is the "default" layout that comes up when you go to a preset.

Chris is correct - it is the Layout that the FC powers up to. If I change presets using the rotary knob or my MIDI control, the FC does not automatically go back to Layout 2 (it actually doesn't change to any other layout at all).

That still works for me - I have Layout 1 for my preset and bank changes, Layout 2 for my scenes (my usual performance view), Layout 3 for my dmx lighting control, Layout 4 for Looper, Layout 5 for Effects. Layout 2 is my "Default"

When I power up my FC goes to Layout 2 'Scenes'. If I want to change Presets, I click my "Layout 1" button. When I choose a Preset on Layout 1, I have Layout Link send me back to Layout 2 (performance view for me). Works like a charm...

Are we talking about the button in axe Edit 3 that just literally says “save” layout ?

No. There's no problem there. The "Save" button for layouts simply saves the changes you made to the layout. There are 9 layouts and you can customize them to your heart's content, and save those customizations for any of the 9 layouts.

The discussion is around associating a particular layout to a particular preset - and saving that relationship. For example I want Layout 4 to automatically appear whenever I go to Preset #289, but when I go to or switch to Preset #301, then I automatically want Layout 6 to appear. "Automatically" here means the Preset knows which Layout to bring up with no work on your part, and no stomping on anything on the FC. It appears that the Axe Fx iii can not do this.

You can however, customize every last switch on the FC per preset - using the "per preset" FC settings, and while this is amazingly flexible, it's also a little time consuming (a little bit). I do greatly appreciate the powerful flexibility the Axe and FC has, but I need, and other people would benefit from better tutorials that make it clear:
  • a) what is the default layout; that is when I jump to a different preset than the one I'm on, how does the Axe know (how do I know) which FC Layout is going to show automatically, before I touch or do anything
  • b) how to change the default Layout
  • c) how to use the "per preset FC" interface in Axe Edit to change (or is it really overriding) the default Layout

Chris is correct - it is the Layout that the FC powers up to. If I change presets using the rotary knob or my MIDI control, the FC does not automatically go back to Layout 2 (it actually doesn't change to any other layout at all).

That still works for me - I have Layout 1 for my preset and bank changes, Layout 2 for my scenes (my usual performance view), Layout 3 for my dmx lighting control, Layout 4 for Looper, Layout 5 for Effects. Layout 2 is my "Default"

When I power up my FC goes to Layout 2 'Scenes'. If I want to change Presets, I click my "Layout 1" button. When I choose a Preset on Layout 1, I have Layout Link send me back to Layout 2 (performance view for me). Works like a charm...

SoooOOOOOOooOOOOoo your "default" or "startup" Layout, which you can find in the Setup (but not in Axe Edit), must be Layout 2, if that's what first comes up (or you can say automatically comes up since you don't do anything to make this particular layout come up) - when you start up your Axe.

SoooOOOOOOooOOOOoo your "default" or "startup" Layout, which you can find in the Setup (but not in Axe Edit), must be Layout 2, if that's what first comes up (or you can say automatically comes up since you don't do anything to make this particular layout come up) - when you start up your Axe.
yes. the Startup Layout defines what layout is loaded when the FC is started up.

You can however, customize every last switch on the FC per preset - using the "per preset" FC settings, and while this is amazingly flexible, it's also a little time consuming (a little bit).

Yes. It would be nice if there was a way to copy/paste more than one button or override at a time, since I find I use a lot of the same tricks in different presets. Additionally, a more robust way to copy the overrides or drag-n-drop them and the switches, or them, or the switches when rearranging your Layout(s) would be awesome. Like plain mouse-drag for both button and any attached override, ctrl/cmd-drag for just the button, and shift-drag to get just the override would be awesome. Have it swap like dragging blocks in the grid. Might have to I have put in a wish for this in the appropriate board....

Last edited:
Ok... I believe you have 2 options:

1. Use per preset buttons to override a layout per preset. Instead of "changing to layout X" you literally create the layout you want with per-preset switches (that are part of your preset)
  2. Use Layout Link to change to a given layout after you press a preset button. Note that your preset buttons would probably need to be be Select by # rather than Preset in Bank

Back
Top Bottom