FC Features Notes for Firmware 5.07

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Here are some notes on the new FC features released in Axe-Fx III firmware 5.07. Those of you who were asking for enhanced external switch functions should be quite pleased.

STAND IN SWITCHES
- This feature broadens the capabilities of external footswitches on the FC-6 or FC-12. Previously, external switches could be used only as modifier sources. Now, an external switch can operate globally as a “remote control” for any switch in any FC layout. For example, imagine an FC where Layout 6/Switch 1 has been set to "BANK +1" (tap) and "BANK -1" (hold). When we assign an FC External Switch as a stand-in for Layout 6/Switch 1, that external switch performs the bank up/down functions, even when Layout 6 is not loaded on the FC. The stand-in is an exact surrogate for the onboard switch, and can even be used with per-preset functions. Find the new “Stand-In Switches” page in the “FC Controllers” menu under SETUP. NOTE: Momentary switches will probably be preferred for use as stand-ins, because they more closely mimic the behavior of the on-board switches.

SWITCH BEHAVIOR - The "Switch Behavior" setting determines how an FC external switch operates a connected device. A switch with the default setting of "Follow Hardware" behaves exactly as you might expect: a latching switch latches, and a momentary switch is momentary. If you want a momentary switch to behave like a latching/toggle switch instead, use the "Virtual Toggle" option. Now, every time you tap the switch, its state on the Axe-Fx or FM3 will flip from ON to OFF, or OFF to ON. Note that if you accidentally apply the Virtual Toggle setting to a physical latching switch, you'll need to tap the switch twice for it to toggle. Find this option for every FC external switch on the “Remote” page of the “FC Controllers” menu under SETUP.

SWITCH POLARITY - The FC now offers the option to reverse the polarity of any connected switch. The option “Normal” assumes a “momentary make” switch. Use the option “Reverse” when using a “momentary break” switch, or for creative applications. Find this option for every FC external switch on the “Remote” page of the “FC Controllers” menu under SETUP.

i'll be making a video about this soon! so many possibilities!

here are my quick thoughts from the 5.07 thread:

now that the cat's out of bag, you guys are going to LOVE this implementation. it's a really smart way to get features into the external switches. rather than requiring a "smart" switch or something specific, you can use regular switches (i prefer momentary/unlatched) to do anything the built-in FC switches can do. they are called "stand-in" because you setup the functions on an actual FC Switch slot first, then tell the External Switch what switch to "mimic" so to speak.

so any unused layout can be used, or any switch on a used layout... but my idea was to use the 4 unused spots on the MLM (Layout 9) for up to 4 external switches! you don't lose anything at all! FC6 users have all of the "switch 7-12" slots that can't be used anyway as well.

i'll try to make a video about this feature tonight. i've been very excited for it during testing, and i think this will help out a bunch for the Axe3 and definitely for the upcoming FM3.

now with these Stand-In switches, you can have "hard coded" switches for many things. do you need a "panic button" that always goes back to Preset 1? now you have it. want a permanent "tap and tuner hold" button? there it is. these Stand-In switches do not change function when you change Layouts, and that's a good thing. so many possibilities now with this super smart implementation.

Hi !

Is the new firmware finally allow to assign switches of the FC to Scene Volume Increase and Scene Volume Decrease ?

I'm going to have to try to build a mock-up three switch "add-on" enclosure for my FC-6 now, trying to match the spacing of the other 2 rows of switches..... should be a fun product

i'll be making a video about this soon! so many possibilities!

here are my quick thoughts from the 5.07 thread:

now that the cat's out of bag, you guys are going to LOVE this implementation. it's a really smart way to get features into the external switches. rather than requiring a "smart" switch or something specific, you can use regular switches (i prefer momentary/unlatched) to do anything the built-in FC switches can do. they are called "stand-in" because you setup the functions on an actual FC Switch slot first, then tell the External Switch what switch to "mimic" so to speak.

so any unused layout can be used, or any switch on a used layout... but my idea was to use the 4 unused spots on the MLM (Layout 9) for up to 4 external switches! you don't lose anything at all! FC6 users have all of the "switch 7-12" slots that can't be used anyway as well.

i'll try to make a video about this feature tonight. i've been very excited for it during testing, and i think this will help out a bunch for the Axe3 and definitely for the upcoming FM3.

now with these Stand-In switches, you can have "hard coded" switches for many things. do you need a "panic button" that always goes back to Preset 1? now you have it. want a permanent "tap and tuner hold" button? there it is. these Stand-In switches do not change function when you change Layouts, and that's a good thing. so many possibilities now with this super smart implementation.

So Chris I assume that means that the external switches can trigger other devices like in the old MFC days? I'm assuming a control switch on the FC set to do this can then be mimic'd by the external switch? That would be awesome!!

A video would be helpful as yours always are! Thanks Fractal!!

MM

Scene Vol Inc/Dec & Save may be do-able and is indeed needed, as I've discovered in a few rigs I've worked on with no amp models.
M@, I hope you guys implement this as it really helps to dial in levels at practice. (and occasionally at gigs as well ;-)

Good stuff right here. I mainly use my FC-12 so don’t need any more buttons for it but when I want to use my FC-6 this is definitely going to be an added bonus.

Had to test this out to make sure I understood (Using an FC-12). For anyone wondering about 'stashing' switches, here is an example using the master layout.

As you can see by default, switches 9-12 are not configured for anything. The rest are to select layouts:

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 11.02.02 PM.png

Now, I will assign some utility type functions for both tap and hold to the 4 available switches. In this case, I have the following:
SW9: Tap Tempo / Tuner
SW10: Scene +1 / Scene -1
SW11: Preset +1 / Preset -1
SW12: SCENES / EFFECTS
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 10.59.39 PM.png

Now on the Axe-Fx, I can assign the FC Switches 1-4 to switches 9-12 on the MasterLayout. Now the 4 external switches function just as they would as using a switch on the FC itself.
FC External SW 1 = FC Switch 9
FC External SW 2 = FC Switch 10
FC External SW 3 = FC Switch 11
FC External SW 4 = FC Switch 12
IMG_5603.jpg

Had to test this out to make sure I understood (Using an FC-12). For anyone wondering about 'stashing' switches, here is an example using the master layout.

As you can see by default, switches 9-12 are not configured for anything. The rest are to select layouts:

View attachment 54679

Now, I will assign some utility type functions for both tap and hold to the 4 available switches. In this case, I have the following:
View attachment 54680

Now on the Axe-Fx, I can assign the FC Switches 1-4 to switches 9-12 on the MasterLayout. Now the 4 external switches function just as they would as using a switch on the FC itself.
View attachment 54681
Yup!

View attachment 54679

View attachment 54680

View attachment 54681
Great simple example!

A question from someone still on the waitlist for the FC: is there a way to setup two external switches to be preset up/down but make them become bank up/down as soon as you change layout?

From what I've read it seems it's not possible, it'd be nice if there was an option to tie them to the switches of the currently loaded layout instead of just one predefined layout.

A question from someone still on the waitlist for the FC: is there a way to setup two external switches to be preset up/down but make them become bank up/down as soon as you change layout?

From what I've read it seems it's not possible, it'd be nice if there was an option to tie them to the switches of the currently loaded layout instead of just one predefined layout.
No. The point of them is to not change per Layout.

Back
Top Bottom