FC/Axe-Fx 3 display basics

BaronVonGrim

Power User
I've been so used to navigating via the main display that I've grown dependent on it, I don't use a computer.

As I click around on the FC, I find myself looking to the Axe display screen for feedback.

When I tap the FC's tuner and look to the display, the tuner pops up. But if I tap the FC's looper, the looper does not pop up on the display...for example. So my question is, am I able to set up FC so that I get immediate feedback on the display? Then to go further, I would like to click drive 1, have it take it to that block, then display information on which overdrive is being applied....etc.

Also, i cant seem to figure out how to engage more than 1 drive at a time. A drive in on, I try to turn on drive 2... to run them both at the same time, but it just engages drive 2 and turns off drive 2. I am in Fractals basic layout 1 and have not yet explored other layouts... or began to customize the options. I've done a 2 minute speed read of the manual.

Also, I may have say Flanger option by default layout displayed on the FC12, but it's not engaged within the block chain.. tapping it via the FC doesn't engage automatically if it's not in a block in the chain. I just need to take a ghost block, add the flanger...then it can be tapped on or off... so I guess my question is... the Axe is in control of the FC, the FC isnt in control of the Axe. The FC controls it, but it's not in control of it..

When I tap the FC's tuner and look to the display, the tuner pops up. But if I tap the FC's looper, the looper does not pop up on the display...for example. So my question is, am I able to set up FC so that I get immediate feedback on the display? Then to go further, I would like to click drive 1, have it take it to that block, then display information on which overdrive is being applied....etc.
No...
Also, i cant seem to figure out how to engage more than 1 drive at a time. A drive in on, I try to turn on drive 2... to run them both at the same time, but it just engages drive 2 and turns off drive 2. I am in Fractals basic layout 1 and have not yet explored other layouts... or began to customize the options. I've done a 2 minute speed read of the manual.
How are you trying to do this? Drive 1 and Drive 2 are 2 different blocks. They are engaged/bypassed independently, just like the Axe Fx II.

Use Scenes or maybe use a Control Switch assigned to the Bypass of both blocks.
Also, I may have say Flanger option by default layout displayed on the FC12, but it's not engaged within the block chain.. tapping it via the FC doesn't engage automatically if it's not in a block in the chain. I just need to take a ghost block, add the flanger...then it can be tapped on or off... so I guess my question is... the Axe is in control of the FC, the FC isnt in control of the Axe. The FC controls it, but it's not in control of it..
The FC doesn't manage preset content.

Just like any other controller, it controls what is in the preset.

I've been so used to navigating via the main display that I've grown dependent on it, I don't use a computer.

As I click around on the FC, I find myself looking to the Axe display screen for feedback.

If they would implement this wish;https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...it-screen-of-any-block-on-front-panel.150611/
then you could set the hold function to go to the edit screen of any block you choose.:D

this has never been a goal of any midi controller.

the Axe is in control of the FC, the FC isnt in control of the Axe. The FC controls it, but it's not in control of it..

it is in control of it. it controls what's there. it doesn't design sounds. the "control" part is access to blocks and functions - that's what you're controlling. the FC isn't a "mouse and keyboard" style of control.

I would like to click drive 1, have it take it to that block, then display information on which overdrive is being applied....etc.

foot controllers are primarily intended to be used for performance. in a performance, you wouldn't look at your screen all night. so the FC doesn't change the screen, because you're performing.

i think your concept of what a controller should do needs to change a bit to match the intent of how it's designed, and how probably all other controllers are designed. what happens now is standard.

Also, i cant seem to figure out how to engage more than 1 drive at a time. A drive in on, I try to turn on drive 2...
how are you trying to turn on Drive 2? do you have a Drive 2 switch setup?

tapping it via the FC doesn't engage automatically if it's not in a block in the chain.
if it's not a block in the chain, where would it suddenly appear in the chain if tapping the switch did work? what would be its settings?

again, this is how all controllers work, and additionally you can use Per-Preset switches to make your switches display different things per preset.

I'm not out there performing. Not my style. I'm not putting myself out there to be viewed or judged or am I searching for acceptance or appreciation.

I'm using the FC12... just sitting in front of the axe in a comfortable chair doing my thing... and it's about taking and making it easy for me. So the display is something I would use because its basic.

I can add some ideas to the wish list...
I do need to get that computer involved in all this some day. I rather just have blue tooth capabilities and just use the phone. Computers are out

I'm not out there performing. Not my style.
that doesn't matter when compared to what it was designed for.

the design of a product is what it is, regardless of what you do with it. yes, add wishes. but do consider that it is a performance tool and how maybe 95% of people will use it.

it's a bit like saying why don't cars have TVs built in because i like to go outside and sit in my car, i never drive it. most people buy cars to drive them, not just sit in them.

Last edited:
I'm not out there performing. Not my style. I'm not putting myself out there to be viewed or judged or am I searching for acceptance or appreciation.

I'm using the FC12... just sitting in front of the axe in a comfortable chair doing my thing... and it's about taking and making it easy for me. So the display is something I would use because its basic.
That's the way a lot of people use their Axes. Sitting in a comfortable chair, doing their thing. When I'm practicing at home, experimenting with presets (some of them not my own), I do the same thing, often glancing at the Home screen to see what scenes are available. I get your wish.

The road is long, when the dust settles from the product roll out and sales wave and folks are looking for ideas for updates... we will see some things implemented and some screen interface.

The looper... I definitely need to see that on the screen.

The road is long, when the dust settles from the product roll out and sales wave and folks are looking for ideas for updates... we will see some things implemented and some screen interface.

The looper... I definitely need to see that on the screen.
I personally can’t see that happening. I can’t see the Axe scene constantly changing with every FC switch press. Just a feeling from experience. Just trying to be realistic here.

Please put in an official wish though. It could happen.

Initially the Axe3 was operable only using the display. Then the computer program was implemented... axe edit I think..irrelevant.. so it was display oriented.. wirh numerous display improvements over the 2.. the display is a key aspect of the 3 and many people will naturally depend on it.
At one point... I was engaging the record button from the looper.. and the external buttons associated with that... using the headstock of my guitar. Before trim was added...lol.
I bought the FC... to be able to use the looper... in recording... the trim ability is excellent.. I have been thankful for that.. I also want to engage effects effortlessly, switch scenes, change channels using my feet.... just as I play at home. I have a pair of Frfr speakers with sub, the 3, power conditioner and FC... and it's just in a room in my house... I think there are thousands and thousands of us. Were all spoiled and love it.

Initially the Axe3 was operable only using the display. Then the computer program was implemented...
Yes. Typically hardware is created first. Then software editors are made after. It kinda has to work like that. But it was always in the plan to have Axe-Edit.

How are you trying to do this? Drive 1 and Drive 2 are 2 different blocks. They are engaged/bypassed independently, just like the Axe Fx II.

My mistake. I went into channels.. I saw DRV 1A, DRV 1B...etc.. and I was trying to engage 2 drives at once. I'm not sure if DRV... means drive

I'm still trying to figure out how the two communicate. There are default layouts... and then its completely programmable. Since it's new to me, I have to start out and learn the basics of the default layouts.
I trying to navigate....adding effects using the axe with it automatically updating on the FC... for example theres a default setting of drive 1.. when I add another drive... drive 2 doesn't pop up automatically.
Is there a way to add a effect to a ghost block manually using the axe and it instantaneously registers on the FC?

I'm still trying to figure out how the two communicate. There are default layouts... and then its completely programmable. Since it's new to me, I have to start out and learn the basics of the default layouts.
I trying to navigate....adding effects using the axe with it automatically updating on the FC... for example theres a default setting of drive 1.. when I add another drive... drive 2 doesn't pop up automatically.
Is there a way to add a effect to a ghost block manually using the axe and it instantaneously registers on the FC?
Why would it appear automatically? Where would it go? How would it know where you want it to go?

My mistake. I went into channels.. I saw DRV 1A, DRV 1B...etc.. and I was trying to engage 2 drives at once. I'm not sure if DRV... means drive
Yes. That is a Drive block, no different than the Axe Fx II. A Drive block on the Axe Fx III has 4 Channels. Channels are essentially the same as X/Y on the Axe Fx II, except it is A/B/C/D instead of X/Y.

DRV 1A is channel A of Drive block 1. DRV 1B is channel B of Drive block 1.

I think you might want to take a step back, read BOTH the Axe Fx III manual and the FC manual, and then come back to it.

It seems like you are very confused about both devices and how they work... I know you've been using Fractal products for a while, so that seems a little odd. Maybe try to get re-grounded in the basics?

Why would it appear automatically? Where would it go? How would it know where you want it to go?
Theres many open spots... it could go anywhere. For example I am sitting at home and want to temporarily add a effect to a scene I'm in..I want to add a drive block 2 for example. So I navigate via the axe into layout, add drive 2 to ghost block.. hit enter, then if I have say the FC12 has 5 empty slots available.. all available spots blink and whichever one I tap is now assigned..

Yes. That is a Drive block, no different than the Axe Fx II. A Drive block on the Axe Fx III has 4 Channels. Channels are essentially the same as X/Y on the Axe Fx II, except it is A/B/C/D instead of X/Y.

My axe 2, I had for 3 years... and I never explored it beyond the presets. Pity.

The 3 is much more intuitive and the display functionality has really allowed me to advance into the box... in comparison to the 3.. I still have the 2... now that i have a understanding of how to navigate, I am able to things I wasn't ever able to do... the x/y... I never touched it.

I tend to try to navigate in ways that seem intuitive to me. The 3 really is designed well and I am able to find my way around basically. But I try to do things that dont make sense to the unit I guess. I need to read the manual and try to have a broader understanding of it all. I am just using the tip of the iceberg.

I come from the tape deck era.

Adding an effect to a preset and programming a switch on the FC to control that effect, are two different things.

For example, you can add a Drive 2 block to the preset on the Axe-Fx, but you won’t be able to control it with the FC-6 if there’s no “Drive 2” switch programmed in any layout on the FC.

Or vice versa: you can program a “Drive 2” switch on your FC, but it won’t do anything if there’s no Drive 2 block present in the preset on the Axe-Fx.

I'm a stay at home guitarist, so I dont really have any structure in mind when it comes to the FC. If I were performing onstage, I would be naturally be more focused on layout, programming specifics to structure the FC around the songs in the set.

With so many tones available, my tastes are random and change from day to day. There's just so many wonderful options available.

When it comes to effects, I do find myself gravitating towards some preferences. I really like that ice castle reverb. I really like the drive combination of the Timmothy and the TS808..

I have gotten used to controlling everything through the axe3 since I wasn't using a FC. I read info about default layouts and customized layout options but my instinct was to do everything on the axe and have it communicate instantaneously..."live". But as Chris mentioned... it doesn't just happen on it's own. When one doesn't understand the complexities of the task at hand, one can under simplify it. In life I alway over simplify... but electronics I under simplify. I say just do this, and the answer is you cant... I still dont understand why you cant just create something... we can call it "Effects Bypass mode"... whatever I do on the unit automatically is reflected on the FC, and all I need to do is assign which switch.... and it's all temporary unless I save it. Theres a main brain, it can think on it's own or just reflect whatever the main brain sees.

I am still a newbie learning the unit, and heavily dependent on the display screen. I sit and play at a arms length from the box, and very conscious of the screen.

Back
Top Bottom