Wish FC/AFX3 integration for duel function buttons.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK - not sure if this is actually achievable yet (as I havent got my FC//AFX33 yet) but cant find anything in the manuals.

I need to be able to change channels in my amp and cab block from a single FC12 button press.....

On my AFX2 I can achieve the same thing (X/Y only of course) as each function had a Midi CC number assigned to it - but they are user changeable. By allocating the same CC to everything I needed to change with 1 switch it was easily achievable.

Dont think scenes would work - as I need to be able to keep my IA's as i switch (so if I have a delay block off when I switch I need it to stay off - but If ive toggled it on I need it to stay on). if they will - please let me know how - and if this is already achievable in another way - again let me know. If not, any change it can be implimented (on either the AF3 of the FC actually - not bothered which).

Why would scenes not work to do that? You could then setup an IA for the delay block on a separate foot-switch?

Why would scenes not work to do that? You could then setup an IA for the delay block on a separate foot-switch?
He says he needs the delay to stay on when he turns it on, meaning that scenes are not his solution.

There are a few workarounds, but nothing that really provides a good solution.

- you could use Control Switches to bypass effects in the preset, and use scenes to switch amp/cab. You’d be limited to 6 IAs, and you can’t use channels on anything other than the amp/cab.

- you could use a Control Switch to send a MIDI payload and loop it back into the Axe (use a short MIDI jumper if you have no other MIDI devices). The MIDI payload can send the CCs to switch both amp and cab channel. But it is global, so anytime you use that CS in any preset, it will toggle amp/cab channel.

- you could put the amp channel on tap, cab channel on hold of a single switch.

None of that is ideal. The FCs need more MIDI functionality. A MIDI controller can do this easily.

+1 to your wish of assigning multiple actions to a single press of a footswitch.

He says he needs the delay to stay on when he turns it on, meaning that scenes are not his solution.

- you could use Control Switches to bypass effects in the preset, and use scenes to switch amp/cab. You’d be limited to 6 IAs, and you can’t use channels on anything other than the amp/cab.

- you could use a Control Switch to send a MIDI payload and loop it back into the Axe (use a short MIDI jumper if you have no other MIDI devices). The MIDI payload can send the CCs to switch both amp and cab channel. But it is global, so anytime you use that CS in any preset, it will toggle amp/cab channel.

None of that is ideal. The FCs need more MIDI functionality. A MIDI controller can do this easily.

+1 to your wish of assigning multiple actions to a single press of a footswitch.
Ok I gotcha now. Are we just talking one delay IA? or have you got other IA's you need to access on that particular layout? Can you not just use 2 scenes then? one with the delay set on and one set to be off? Or have you used them all already?

Like minds....

Been investigating a couple of options - both of which you have suggested.

1. Use scenes to change my amp and cab blocks and use control switches for my FX as that will allow me to change scenes while the FX blocks stay as they are. Possible solution this as I really only use drive, reverb, delay, comp, one modulation (be it phaser, flanger or chorus).

2. using a midi link and control switches - send the mid CC out and back into the AFX, and assign both can and amp channel changes to the same CC. The only issue I see here (as long as its possible) is the added delay time for the switch? It would mean using 4 of my 6 control switches just for that function mind (then another CS for the drive and filter block together so I only have 1 left). Actually - in the 10 years Ive used my MFC Ive only ever used one layout so having this as global may well not be a problem (and as I evolve with the new rig I may come up with better workflows anyway).

Ok I gotcha now. Are we just talking one delay IA? or have you got other IA's you need to access on that particular layout? Can you not just use 2 scenes then? one with the delay set on and one set to be off? Or have you used them all already?
ha ... no.

I use a simulated pedal board... so I want (or had in mind) is IA for each of reverb, chorus, delay, drive, phaser/flanger (1 or the other) then tremolo/rotary. Each of these could be on or off at any time. Then I want 4 more switches - 1 for each channel of the amp, but the issue comes if I want to change cab as well as I might use a DR for clean and pushed then a plexi for crunch and lead. Thats 10 of my 12 tap buttons. Id then have bank change (up and down) on 2 holds, along with 5 patches on holds. Id have tuner on another hold and tap on one of the spare taps.

My problem is that when I play live, its not really scripted - ie this song and it needs this config. Its very much freeform. I need the ability to change gain levels from clean through pushed,, crunch and lead (within a similar tonal DNA but not necessarily the same amp sim) along with toggling FX on and off at will and in any combination.

If I play with a Power amp and cab (as I do often) its no problem as I dont have a cab block. if Im recording - similarly I can change things easily. The problem comes if I play live FRFR which im starting to do more and more often.

Using the CSs for the FX blocks I dont think works - not enough CSs... theres enough for the FX but I cant then Im out if I want to toggle two FX with one button at any time. The Midi package and loopback may work as it only uses 4 CSs leaving 2 for other things.

Would ne nice if CSs were on a per patch basis rather than global OR if the midi package send by the FC could be interpreted directly on the AFX3 rather than needing a loopback..

Had an idea Ive passed up that would fix this - and add functionality (assuming other requested things cant be done).

How about a link page.

The idea being you'd have a grid - maybe 6 rows and 4 columns (as a for instance) and you can drop blocks into that grid (or have a drop down list for each - just a way of choosing blocks).

Functionally the first block in each row is the MASTER block, and any blocks in the other columns become "SLAVE" blocks. That gives you 6 links with up to 4 blocks being able to be linked in each.

If the master block is bypassed, all the slave blocks ALSO bypass at the same time. If a master channel is changed, all the slave blocks ALSO change their channel. In the channel case, if the master is a 4 channel block but the slave a 2, then it toggle. for master 1 - slave 1, master 2 = slave 2, master 3 = slave 1, master 4 = slave 2.

That may be an elegant less intensive way of solving both the multiple channel changing and multiple block changing without taking Control switches.

Thoughts?

I'm considering selling my gear to get the new fm9. Reading the use manual and thinking about how I would want to use it I thought of the exact same scenario. If I wanted a Fender amp in channel A, a Vox type in channel B, and Marshall type in channel C etc, I would want a different cab to match each one. It seems like a hassle assign multiple buttons and have to do multiple presses or holds to do that task.

I'm pretty surprised we can't do this considering how flexible layouts are. I currently control my reverbs and delays for my current rig with a morningstar mc6. I'm usually sending 5-6 midi messages for most button presses, so it would be hard to get used to needing to do a button press for each item.

It would also be nice to be able to change a parameter and toggle an effect at the same time. I sometimes use a kill dry reverb, and I was thinking it would be cool to have the reverb engage also set the default mix, and the hold set the mix to 100%. I would need multiple actions for that idea.

Back
Top Bottom