FC-6 with DSP Expansion

WbbS

Experienced
I post it here because the less DSP is in the FM3.

I imagine some kind of expansion like the Universal Audio Satellite to add more DSP to any unit. Maybe integrated in the FC-6, FC-9 or even in a smaller FC-3.

This may cover the extra power needs in the FM3 and reduce the obsolescence of Fractal products.

I came from Kemper and even if I like Fractal more, what deterred me to buy a Fractal product until now is the continuous production of new units, while Kemper is the same.

I hope they will invest in expansion to keep the current units usable with further development.

I could see a future foot controller having the possible ability to add additional processing power, but, only on a new FM unit which is designed from the ground up to be able to take advantage of said FC controller....

In other words, I can’t see any future hardware being able to be backward compatible with current hardware any more than plugging in a MFC to an Axe II is going to turn it into an III.

This may cover the extra power needs in the FM3 and reduce the obsolescence of Fractal products.
What will reduce the obsolescence is exactly what Fractal does: Pick a good processor platform, design good hardware using it, then continually improve the firmware until the industry has a next generation chipset that radically exceeds the capability of the current ones at the same price point, then design something new.

I'm not worried that Kemper or Line 6 will manage to make the FM3 less of a bargain, which is what I see the obsolescence fear being about: People worry they made the wrong decision and will miss out on something better in the future. Well, if and when something better comes along, they can buy it. The FM3 will continue to have value to someone so it can be sold to recoup some of the price of the other device. I'm not worried about "obsolescence" at all. It's not like the unit will stop functioning or its ability to model sound will degrade because it's old. It's a great sounding, very flexible unit, in a small form factor, and it'll continue to be that for a LONG time.

Ok, but if they make a modular expandable unit it will be better forEVER. 😉

It’s just a wish.

Back
Top Bottom