FC-6 vs. FC-12

lscottk

Experienced
I received my invite to purchase either an FC-6 or an FC-12. I had a brief phone conversation with someone who has used both and he said that in his estimation the functionality of the FC-6 is comparable enough to the FC-12 that he felt that the extra weight, size and cost of the FC-12 made the FC-6 more desireable. I am stretching my budget to purchase both the foot controller (FC-6 or FC-12) and an AxeFX III so saving $200 is very appealing. However, I can swing the extra $200.00 if the benefits of the extra 6 foot switches are significant enough.

I currently use an AX8. I have relatively simple patches. I typically program the AX8 footswitches to select different scenes in the preset, switch presets in the same bank, turn specific effects on and off, and occasionally use the looper. My interest in the FC-12 is having extra buttons to make it easier to access all of these functions. No paging on the foot controller, ect. However, while reading the forum I have seen numerous comments about how well designed the FC- 6 controls are. So perhaps the FC-12 is only needed for uses more elaborate than mine?

I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts or opinions about this.

No experience with the AX8, but I went from the MFC-101 to the FC-6 and have not missed all the extra buttons. I did start using scenes more now, whereas I used to engage/disengage effects with individual IA switches more often. But the super flexible per-preset programming on the FC-6 capability has allowed me to do things now with one tap of my foot that used to take a tap dance that'd make Fred Astaire proud on my MFC-101.

As a bonus, the FC-6 is enough smaller than my MFC-101 that I was able to add a third expression pedal to my existing pedal board. (I was using two pedals with the MFC-101.) If I would have gone with the FC-12, I would only be able to fit a single expression pedal on the board. (And I really didn't want to spend the extra money and stage real estate on a new pedal board and case.)

I had both. FC-12 all the way for me. I also have an AX8. I felt like I was compromising how I wanted to work with the FC-6 vs the FC-12. It does really depend on HOW you use it. There are advantages to both.

No experience with the AX8, but I went from the MFC-101 to the FC-6 and have not missed all the extra buttons. I did start using scenes more now, whereas I used to engage/disengage effects with individual IA switches more often. But the super flexible per-preset programming on the FC-6 capability has allowed me to do things now with one tap of my foot that used to take a tap dance that'd make Fred Astaire proud on my MFC-101.

As a bonus, the FC-6 is enough smaller than my MFC-101 that I was able to add a third expression pedal to my existing pedal board. (I was using two pedals with the MFC-101.) If I would have gone with the FC-12, I would only be able to fit a single expression pedal on the board. (And I really didn't want to spend the extra money and stage real estate on a new pedal board and case.)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Your comments are very similar to what I heard during the phone call. My AX8 is mounted on a pedaltrain board. I barely have room for one expression pedal. Having room for a second is a plus.

I'm guessing that what I try to do is so basic that the FC-6 is good enough. However, I'm interested in the perspective of those who feel that the FC-12 is a better fit

I had both. FC-12 all the way for me. I also have an AX8. I felt like I was compromising how I wanted to work with the FC-6 vs the FC-12. It does really depend on HOW you use it. There are advantages to both.

Thanks for your response Would you be willing to share more about how the FC-12 helped you avoid compromising your work flow?

I got the 6 because it was available, planning to get a 12 when I could, but the 6 has worked so well, I declined to buy the 12 when my name came up on the list.

The 6 just does an amazing amount of functions in a really compact package. Select a preset from a bank size of 6, with press and hold going up or down through the banks. When I select a preset it automatically changes to my scenes layout, 1-7 (button 1 is a 1/2 toggle), and from there, I press and hold it I want to enter the looper page, or individual effects on/off pages.

Basically everything is no more than 1 button press away, and really for me, the 12 wouldn’t make that any different. I could have 8 scenes and then a preset up/down all on one layout with the 12, but to me it wouldn’t really be any easier, if still be switching between layouts for effects, scenes etc

I can have my 6 and 2 expression pedals take up less room than just the 12 on its own, I save $200, and if/when they make the external switches do more, I might be able to have up to 4 more buttons on my 6, which then for sure would be plenty of control

I’m sure the 12 is great too, but I just don’t feel I’m missing anything with the 6

Same. I feel the size is absolutely perfect and functionality is beyond what I could even think of to use it for. No desire for the 12 anymore :D

If anything, I’d go for a second 6 over a 12 as well. More flexible is layout, 2 big LCD’s, ability to have more layouts. I really don’t need that, probably never will, but two 6’s would really do anything and everything I could ever need, with the added bonus of just grabbing one of them if I wanted to travel lighter

I've been using the 6, and it's great. It's everything I need. I'm starting to realize that I like to have some special options always available to me, and that it's nice to have them not always attached to scenes, so a 12 would be nice for the extra buttons quickly available, so if you're comfortable using scenes, maybe I'd summarize like this...
The FC-6 is what I need.
The FC-12 is what I want. I'll probably pick up a 12, cause there isn't any other gear that I really want, and I've got a little bit of money in my PayPal, and I know that I'd use them both as needs arise. Totally a luxury thing for me, not an absolute need.
That said, the FC-6 is super capable, and if I needed to just use the 6, I'd be totally fine.

I got the 6 because it was available, planning to get a 12 when I could, but the 6 has worked so well, I declined to buy the 12 when my name came up on the list.

The 6 just does an amazing amount of functions in a really compact package. Select a preset from a bank size of 6, with press and hold going up or down through the banks. When I select a preset it automatically changes to my scenes layout, 1-7 (button 1 is a 1/2 toggle), and from there, I press and hold it I want to enter the looper page, or individual effects on/off pages.

Basically everything is no more than 1 button press away, and really for me, the 12 wouldn’t make that any different. I could have 8 scenes and then a preset up/down all on one layout with the 12, but to me it wouldn’t really be any easier, if still be switching between layouts for effects, scenes etc

I can have my 6 and 2 expression pedals take up less room than just the 12 on its own, I save $200, and if/when they make the external switches do more, I might be able to have up to 4 more buttons on my 6, which then for sure would be plenty of control

I’m sure the 12 is great too, but I just don’t feel I’m missing anything with the 6

Thanks for the great explanation I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorough response I have never used more than 4 scenes on my AX8. I'm leaning towards the FC-6. There will have to be some sort of compelling reason to go for the FC-12. Not sure that there is a reason for my use case.

I've been using the 6, and it's great. It's everything I need. I'm starting to realize that I like to have some special options always available to me, and that it's nice to have them not always attached to scenes, so a 12 would be nice for the extra buttons quickly available, so if you're comfortable using scenes, maybe I'd summarize like this...
The FC-6 is what I need.
The FC-12 is what I want. I'll probably pick up a 12, cause there isn't any other gear that I really want, and I've got a little bit of money in my PayPal, and I know that I'd use them both as needs arise. Totally a luxury thing for me, not an absolute need.
That said, the FC-6 is super capable, and if I needed to just use the 6, I'd be totally fine.

Have you tried the per scene button layout options ? Let’s you have a dynamically assigned function on a preset by preset basis which is pretty useful.

For example, I probably won’t use a flanger and a phaser at the same time or in the same preset, or a flanger and chorus etc. I don’t really need a dedicated effect switch to each and every effect type though. Instead, I set up a per preset switch for modulation, so on one preset it’s flanger on/off, on another it’s chorus etc. I can also set it up to toggle between channels of chorus types etc with the same button.

On my MFC I had like 17 IA’s because each was hard coded to a certain block, so the switch was wasted when the block wasn’t even in the preset. With the per preset option I can have just a few switches for stuff I use per preset, so I don’t need all the extra unused switches anymore.

It does take a little time as you have to assign it per preset, but once you do it really opens up so cool flexibility, almost changing your layout as you change presets so it’s always having what you want accessible on the fly

Have you tried the per scene button layout options ? Let’s you have a dynamically assigned function on a preset by preset basis which is pretty useful.

For example, I probably won’t use a flanger and a phaser at the same time or in the same preset, or a flanger and chorus etc. I don’t really need a dedicated effect switch to each and every effect type though. Instead, I set up a per preset switch for modulation, so on one preset it’s flanger on/off, on another it’s chorus etc. I can also set it up to toggle between channels of chorus types etc with the same button.

On my MFC I had like 17 IA’s because each was hard coded to a certain block, so the switch was wasted when the block wasn’t even in the preset. With the per preset option I can have just a few switches for stuff I use per preset, so I don’t need all the extra unused switches anymore.

It does take a little time as you have to assign it per preset, but once you do it really opens up so cool flexibility, almost changing your layout as you change presets so it’s always having what you want accessible on the fly

Yea, I've really been impressed with how you can set up each preset with the per preset switches, which is part of why the 6 is totally a useable tool for me- otherwise I'd be saying that it's just too darn small and I'd need a 12. Good description of the capabilities of the per preset stuff, btw.

This is a key benefit over the MFC-101. You don’t have to waste switches b leaving them idle when they don’t pertain to the preset you’re on.

Thanks for your response Would you be willing to share more about how the FC-12 helped you avoid compromising your work flow?

I switched all my presets to a core template, where I basically just have 3 main presets where every Footswitch layout is the same. I basically stopped doing the 1 song per preset idea and went back to a more dynamic approach using a mixture of Main Scenes and Control Switches to Engage Blocks. This just allows me to be extremely flexible and get to any core tone when playing quickly.

My setup for switch 1-6:
1: Scene 1 (Main)
2: Scene 2 (PlexDelay1), Hold: Reverb Momentary
3: Scene 3 (PlexDelay2/Reverb2), Hold: Reverb Momentary
4: Scene 4 Lead
5: Boost (CS3),
6: Tempo/Tuner

7-12
7: Amp Boost (CS1)
8: Drive (CS2)
9: Delay1/Delay2 Toggle (CS5)
10: Reverb Hold Latching (CS4)
11: Looper Layout
12: Preset Layout, Hold: Effects Layouts

Everything I do is on one layout always except a Preset Switch. Looper is there for home-playing only. I still have room to add stuff if the need arises.

I switched all my presets to a core template, where I basically just have 3 main presets where every Footswitch layout is the same. I basically stopped doing the 1 song per preset idea and went back to a more dynamic approach using a mixture of Main Scenes and Control Switches to Engage Blocks. This just allows me to be extremely flexible and get to any core tone when playing quickly.

My setup for switch 1-6:
1: Scene 1 (Main)
2: Scene 2 (PlexDelay1), Hold: Reverb Momentary
3: Scene 3 (PlexDelay2/Reverb2), Hold: Reverb Momentary
4: Scene 4 Lead
5: Boost (CS3),
6: Tempo/Tuner

7-12
7: Amp Boost (CS1)
8: Drive (CS2)
9: Delay1/Delay2 Toggle (CS5)
10: Reverb Hold Latching (CS4)
11: Looper Layout
12: Preset Layout, Hold: Effects Layouts

Everything I do is on one layout always except a Preset Switch. Looper is there for home-playing only. I still have room to add stuff if the need arises.

Thanks for the reply Your setup sounds like a good reason to have extra switches. I have already placed my order buying a FC-6 I'll see if I end up changing my mind and I get an FC-12 In the meantime I just have to be patient as I wait for delivery

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Scott

I got the 6 because it came available 1st and the 12 hasn't been offered to me yet. I was tired of "just getting by" with the MFC101. I want the 12 and will get it. The 6 took some really careful thought to plan out how I wanted and I think enough at my day job....I don't want to think more than I need to in my band. The 6 is powerful and does the job. The 12 will be better.

As Yngwie Malmsteen says "more is more!".

I received my invite to purchase either an FC-6 or an FC-12. I had a brief phone conversation with someone who has used both and he said that in his estimation the functionality of the FC-6 is comparable enough to the FC-12 that he felt that the extra weight, size and cost of the FC-12 made the FC-6 more desireable. I am stretching my budget to purchase both the foot controller (FC-6 or FC-12) and an AxeFX III so saving $200 is very appealing. However, I can swing the extra $200.00 if the benefits of the extra 6 foot switches are significant enough.

I currently use an AX8. I have relatively simple patches. I typically program the AX8 footswitches to select different scenes in the preset, switch presets in the same bank, turn specific effects on and off, and occasionally use the looper. My interest in the FC-12 is having extra buttons to make it easier to access all of these functions. No paging on the foot controller, ect. However, while reading the forum I have seen numerous comments about how well designed the FC- 6 controls are. So perhaps the FC-12 is only needed for uses more elaborate than mine?

I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts or opinions about this.
It depends on how you use your AXE3. I only have about 3-4 presets that I use. In each preset I have a clean, dirt, heavy, and lead scene. This make the FC6 perfect for myself. If you use all 8 scenes in a preset, you may want to opt for the FC12.

Back
Top Bottom