FC-6 vs. FC-12

It depends on how you use your AXE3. I only have about 3-4 presets that I use. In each preset I have a clean, dirt, heavy, and lead scene. This make the FC6 perfect for myself. If you use all 8 scenes in a preset, you may want to opt for the FC12.

You can get select 8 scenes with 4 switches using the toggle setting. It does mean a double press to access 4 of them.

Danny W

I got the 6 because it came available 1st and the 12 hasn't been offered to me yet. I was tired of "just getting by" with the MFC101. I want the 12 and will get it. The 6 took some really careful thought to plan out how I wanted and I think enough at my day job....I don't want to think more than I need to in my band. The 6 is powerful and does the job. The 12 will be better.

As Yngwie Malmsteen says "more is more!".

Thanks for responding.
Yes, more is typically better. I'm just trying to save some bucks without negatively impacting my ability to express myself as a guitarist. Hopefully I'll be happy with the FC-6. And I may end up someday soon with an FC-12. Based upon comments from others I'm giving the FC-6 a chance. We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be a happy camper. I know that I'll be happy with the AxeFX III.

All the best,
Scott

Last edited:
Thanks for responding.
Yes, more is typically better. I'm just trying to save some bucks without negatively impacting my ability to express myself as a guitarist. Hopefully I'll be happy with the FC-6. And I may end up someday soon with an FC-12. Based upon comments from others I'm giving the FC-6 a chance. We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be a happy camper. I know that I'll be happy with the AxeFX III.

All the best,
Scott
So, are you happy with the FC6?

QUOTE="Timo, post: 1999688, member: 49491"]
So, are you happy with the FC6?
[/QUOTE]

I like the size of the FC-6. I use it much more simply than many so the extra button clicks required due to less switches do not impact me much. However, if I had it to do over again I would probably buy the FC-12, just cause I like doing less button clicks. My main pre-covid gig was weekly at my church. Songs are simple, I use just two or three basic patches. If I were playing a greater variety of songs, with more patches required, then the FC-12 would be a better fit for me.

A plus to the FC-6 is that it fits on my pedal board and leaves room for other pedals - expression pedals, for example. So, as is true with most things, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm happy with my FC-6. If I were gigging a lot I would prefer the FC-12. But probably not enough that I would get rid of my FC-6 so that I can afford an FC-12. Ideally I would buy both. Not a very satisfactory answer, I suppose. But accurate to my experience.

I have an FC12, and kinda wish I had an 18 :)

12 switches gets you 8 scenes, next and previous presets, tuner and tap tempo, very cool. However, I also want to control chorus, one or [EDIT] two more drives, delay, rotary (fast/slow as well as on/off), phaser, flanger etc. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, not super happy with anything I've come up with.

I'm using hold actions to switch layouts, but that's pretty awkward to do between the verse and the chorus, and then you have also actually turn the block you want on, and undo the whole thing to get back "home".

[EDIT] I'm also using hold actions on most effects page switches to increment that effect's channel. But again that's awkward, especially since you can't see which model each channel uses. (Pretty sure there's already a wish to improve that.)

I know these are 100% first world problems, but at the very least, I'm not considering an FC6, unless it's in addition to a 12. Consider yourself lucky if you're happy with a 6 ;)

Last edited:
I’ll be honest. I have the 12 cause I just like more buttons and options. However for certain songs and presets the extra buttons are nice. I could easily get by with the 6 with very little tap dancing. But in the middle of a performance I’m easily distracted so having to hit one button instead of possibly two was worth it for me.

More buttons is more better. Better to have more buttons than you need than less. That said, I had a 12 and cleaved it down the middle:
20200920_162326.jpg

Boxcars FTW!

I have a FC-6 and it works great for me. To be honest, I’m also using 2+2 stand-in switches, and find it’s plenty of switches to play with.

I normally don’t use more than 2-3 scenes for each preset and I rarely use the FC to turn on and off single effects, so the FC-6 it’s perfect. Smaller size, lighter weight than the FC-12.

When playing live, I only use about 5 foot switches.
1. Up Preset
2. Down Pest
3. Clean Scene
4. Crunch Scene
5. Lead Scene

However, when I like to noodle around, I love to switch to my Effects Layout so I have it like stomp box pedal board.

Part of me would like to have an FC-6 to control the FC-12, and while that'd be super cool, it'd be overkill and would heavy to lug my whole rig around.

Back
Top Bottom