FC-6 Per-Preset programming

serge20261

Inspired
Is it possible to save each preset individually for example if I’m on PRESET 1 I’d want SWITCH 1 to switch SCENE 5 & SWITCH 2 to switch to SCENE 3 etc etc if I now go to PRESET 2 I’d want SWITCH 1 to switch to SCENE 2 and SWITCH 2 to switch to SCENE 1 etc etc. I’m also wondering if anyone could help connecting my volume pedal I have the Dunlop mini x,not sure if it’s the same as an expression,I do have the EV1 pedals with the EV2 on its way,really want to use the mini pedals though.

Yes it is possible. There are two different approaches: overrides or placeholders. This is fully covered on page 34 of the FC Manual:

PER-PRESET FUNCTIONS
Default Color: Special
FC layouts are global. That is, their functions remain the same as you change presets. The FC’s built- in system of Per-Preset switches adds two different ways to make layouts more flexible.
Every Axe-Fx III preset contains 24 numbered “FC Switch Definitions”. In method 1 (below) the preset overrides any switch on any layout, substituting the Per-Preset switch definition of your choice in the location of your choice. (“I want this switch on this layout to do something different when this preset loads.”)
In method 2 (next page), the layout contains a permanent “placeholder” which always
loads a specific FC Switch Definition (by its number) in a fixed position.
(“I want this switch on this layout to always use “Per-Preset X” from the currently loaded preset.”)
PER-PRESET METHOD 1: OVERRIDES
This method creates a classic “exception” — very useful for “that one song” which needs to do something unusual, like providing access to the Looper instead of a particular effect, or switching to a Scene you don’t normally access.
To set up an override, don’t edit the FC. Instead, edit the Preset to force the substitution. Here’s how:
1 . Load the desired preset and navigate to its list of per-preset switch footswitch definitions as follows:
Press HOME, then use Push-knob D to open the Controllers menu. Navigate to Per-Preset FC Settings and press ENTER.
Page to the Per-Preset FC tab if it isn’t already selected.
2 . Turn the VALUE knob to select your choice of per-preset switch definition “slots” (numbered “PP# 1-24”).
3 . Define the switch. The interface is basically identical to that used by the FC’s own “EZ” page (see p. 17).
You can set Tap Function, Hold Function, LED ring color, Mini-Display settings, and Layout Links.
4 . Repeat this process for any other switches you wish to define.
Once you have defined one or more FC Switch Definitions in your preset, you must set up the override
5 . Change from the Per-Preset FC page to the Overrides page by pressing the PAGE > button on the Axe-Fx III. The Overrides page consists of a long list showing every switch in every FC layout.
6 . On the Overrides page, use knob A or the NAV buttons to scroll to the FC layout and switch you want to override, then turn knob C or the VALUE knob to select the desired Per-Preset switch (“PP#”).
7 . Repeat this process for any other overrides you wish to create
IMPORTANT: You must STORE the preset after setting up FC Switch definitions and overrides! Note: As of this writing, Factory presets on the Axe-Fx III are not programmed with any overrides.
When any footswitch in any layout is being overridden by a Per-Preset switch, a message is displayed at the bottom of the EZ page to indicate this. When this occurs, push-knob E becomes a shortcut button to jump from the FC Controllers menu to the Per-Preset FC page of the Controllers menu.
DISABLING OVERRIDES
You can globally disable per-preset switch overrides. This can be useful when you want to prevent downloaded presets from “clobbering” your layouts, or when you’ve changed your mind and suddenly want all layouts to
be global and consistent. Find this option on the Setup | Foot Controllers | Config page (see p. 41).
PER-PRESET METHOD 2: THE PLACEHOLDER FUNCTION
The second way of working with Per-Preset switches does not rely on overrides (see previous page). Instead, this method uses the “Per-Preset: Placeholder” function which is set up on Tap and/or Hold for any
switch just like any other function via the EZ page or the Edit Layout/Switch pages of the FC Controller menu.
It is important to remember that both Overrides and Placeholders depend on the same list of 24 Per-Preset FC switch definitions. To create a switch definition, simply follow Steps 1 through 4 on the previous page, being sure to STORE the preset when you finish.
PER-PRESET: PLACEHOLDER
This function creates a placeholder for one of the Per-Preset FC switch definitions contained in
all presets. When any preset is loaded, the corresponding values from that preset will be used to determine the functions, appearance, and behavior of the Tap and/or Hold functions of this switch.
This function has only a single parameter, Per-Preset Switch, which selects the number of the Per-Preset FC Switch definition you want to place on your layout.
If you want both Tap and Hold functions to appear, you must assign the placeholder function to BOTH Tap and Hold functions of a switch. (This is actually a feature and not a limitation).
As you place the Per-Preset: Placeholder function in your layouts, the Switch Ring Color parameter for the Per-Preset function itself will not work to change the color. Instead, you must set the color footswitch definition stored in the preset itself found under Controllers: Per-Preset FC Settings : Per-Preset FC .
Factory Default Layout 6 uses the per-preset placeholder function, set up for both Tap and hold. Use this layout as a way to check the per-preset functions in presets you download, or try creating Per-Preset FC switch definitions yourself in a few presets.

How do you set up an per-preset override in Axe-Edit? I see a page that shows them but can’t for the life of me figure out how to set them up? I’ve been able to setup placeholders but overrides, nope.

I’m probably missing something dirt simple.

Thanks guys I've actually read the manual I just cant follow it,I need video instructions,does anyone know of any

How do you set up an per-preset override in Axe-Edit? I see a page that shows them but can’t for the life of me figure out how to set them up? I’ve been able to setup placeholders but overrides, nope.

I’m probably missing something dirt simple.
Yep. Totally missed it and it was dirt simple. I was looking for it on the overrides page in the Per-Preset page Axe-Edit instead of on the main FC Controller page. Duh.

Last edited:
This may be what you're after.
In AxEdit click on Per-Preset FC. Make sure your on Definitions Tab.
Click on the FC button you want to program. On Category use the drop down menu and select Scene. Next under Function = Select. Then select the scene you want. Repeat for the other FC buttons for other scenes you wish to have available. For effects do the same thing except under Category select "Effect". Then assign the effect you want. The same process for utilities. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom