FC-6 Looper Layout vs. Per Preset problems (Axe Fx 3)

So this is related to my other post but about something different, fwiw.
I was noticing when Recording then hitting Play ( both of those buttons are accessed in Scene and assigned to Per Preset Buttons) there was a huge gap on play back.
Per https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/looper-play-delay-1-06.165416/ this thread I realized this was due to assigning erase to the hold function for the Play PP button. Ok, no prob, removed the hold function. No hold functions now for either but there's still a gap, albeit smaller one.
When I goto the Master Layout, and to default Looper layout, I can loop just fine. In both instances I'm playing to a click so I don't think it's my timing.
Also fwiw, quantize is off.
Is there some other setting to be aware of when using Per Preset assignments? Switching from Looper Layout to Scene and back and forth is going to be way too much tap dancing and not really a viable option.

Do you have a Hold on the Record switch?
I do not. Found out one interesting thing: Hitting record, then play I get a gap. If Record 2nd Press is set to Play instead of Overdub, then a 2nd press makes it play right in time. I guess this will work; it seems I can hit Record again to overdub. It's the same number of taps just wasn't intuitive to get there 🙃

I'm starting to wonder if it's the switch itself, sigh. I swapped my per preset assignments for Record and Play, so now Record is on the bottom right where Play used to to be....now there's a gap on playback on 2nd record press

If the switch itself is set up as a per preset placeholder, make sure there's no hold assigned to the switch itself as well as in that number in the Per Preset definition slots.
as i stated I removed the holds (in per preset screen) but but you're making it sound like there's another place to check. Can you explain?

Make sure the itself switch in the layout has no hold function assigned.

1649812071263.png

Normally those switches would have the hold function also set as a per preset placeholder so it can use the hold function that's defined in the per preset slot. If you want it to fire on press instead of release, its hold has to be set to unassigned.

OK

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.21.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.21.08 PM.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.21.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 2.21.24 PM.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 14
That one looks good. What about the record switch?

CPU in that preset is borderline too. Does the issue still happen on a lower CPU preset?

Last edited:
That one looks good. What about the record switch?

CPU in that preset is borderline too. Does the issue still happen on a lower CPU preset?
Record is fine and it's not CPU related.
I think I've figured what's happening. While there's no hold assigned, the button in question is the first button in the combo to access the master layout. Since that requires hitting one button then another, it's introducing a small gap waiting to see if there's a second button.
It's a bummer because I'll have to completely change my scene layout and relearn stuff if I want to go with the assignment that started this whole thing. But at least I'm pretty sure the switch is fine.

Oh yeah. That's right, if you have the MLM combo enabled, that lower right switch will always behave like it's got a hold function assigned. I always forget about that.

You can turn the MLM switch combo off in the FC Config menu and then that switch won't always have the hold behavior, but you'll need to put a switch in your layouts to access the Master Layout if needed. You could also set up an external switch as a stand in switch to pull up the Master Layout as well.

Back
Top Bottom