FC-6 Locks Up Randomly

TG3K

Fractal Fanatic
I've been running into an occasional problem with my FC-6 where it locks up and none of the foot switches (including external switches) respond. Whatever is was enabled/active at the time of the lockup is all I get use. In the past, this issue has only happened rarely, but tonight it happened 5 or 6 times during a 3 1/2 hour gig and was getting pretty frustrating. Rebooting the unit by unplugging the XLR cable and plugging it back in always fixes it, but that's not a great thing to be doing in the middle of a song. I usually try to limp my way to the end of the song using whatever scene and effects are active when the controller locks up, but that's not workable if it happens to lock up when I'm using something that's pretty out of the norm for the song, like a heavy delay that's used just for a few seconds as a special effect.

So far I've not been able to figure out the cause or a fix. I'm running firmware 1.12 on the FC and 19.04 on my AFX 3. I've tried several different XLR cables but the issue keeps coming back. It seems to happen on any scene in any preset randomly. It has happened both with and without a laptop connected to the Axe-Fx and Axe-Edit running. I can't see any pattern or consistent behavior. Of course I can never reproduce the issue when I'm at home, lol. It only happens when I'm playing to an audience at a gig. Have any of you run into this issue? If so, have you found a cause and/or cure?

Maybe related?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/foot-switch-quits-working-randomly.182155/

It would be interesting if someone could try and reproduce it. Video4 shows an example. I can typically get my unit to lockup in about a minute.

Hopefully Fractal can reproduce this as well. Then it’ll be a quick fix.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I've had it happen on presets with no pitch block, but I'll keep an eye open for any blocks that may be common to the presets I happen to be on when it locks up. So far I don't think I've seen the issue on any specific presets. It just seems to lock up randomly...but it's always right after switching scenes. (I use a different preset for every song, and only use the FC to switch scenes while playing. Typically not switching individual blocks on and off.) I just wish I could reproduce the problem at home. I never have time in the middle of a gig to re-trace my steps.

Any update from anyone on this? It happened to me again last night. Very frustrating, and as much as I love my Axe FX 3, this is not a feasible/reliable practicing/gigging solution.

I'm wondering how widespread the problem is as it is fairly frequent to me. Perhaps we should start a master thread of each occurrence of the issue? I'm not sure Fractal is aware (cares?) how widespread this issue is. I always get the standard "try another cable" while this happens across different cables.

As @ewiz666 pointed out (kinda), please make sure you are using not just a different cable, but a high quality XLR cable.

I had issues that I posted in the alternate thread above. I sent my unit in for repair. I can't reproduce the problem on the repaired unit.

Back
Top Bottom