FC-6 Hold switch possible issue

is9582

Power User
I am running FW 5.06 on my AxeFXIII and FW 1.05 on my FC-6. I went in and added Hold Functions for both switch #1 and switch #2 in Layout 2 which is for my Scenes. In the Hold assignment I have the Function set to Toggle and switch #1 Primary as Scene 1 and the Secondary as Scene 7. On the virtual layout above these settings, switch #1 has Scene 1 in the top field and shows Scene 7 in the lower field, which would seem to be correct. However, on switch #2, which also is using the Toggle function, and with Primary set to Scene 2 and the Secondary as Scene 8, the virtual layout shows Scene 2 in the top field and Scene 2 (again) in the lower field.

I went back in and was messing around with the data in the Hold for switch #2, and if I reversed both, so Primary is 8 and Secondary is 2, the virtual layout showed Scene 2 in the upper field and Scene 8 in the lower field. I then tested to see if reversing the data in the Hold fields for switch #1 made the virtual layout any different, but it did not.

As I clicked from switch #1 to switch #2, everything looked right in the lower data fields, However, as I clicked to switch back from switch #2 to switch #1 on the virtual layout, I noticed the value initially shown down in the Scene field, under both the Tap and in the Hold sections, was 3 but then resolved to 1. I then tested moving sequentially up from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, .... all the way to 6, and all looked as it should. If you reverse this flow, from any higher numbered switch to its next lower numbered switch, the Scene value goes up by one initially, and then ends at the correct target switch. I also tested to see if it had to be a sequential lowering, and it did not. If you go from switch #6 directly to #4 (or #3, #2 or #1) there is always the initial Scene+1 compared to the origination switch number (which feels odd when you see a 7 come up on the 6 switch unit).

I can't tell if this is a problem in the actual working aspects of the FC-6, as these issues were in the virtual layout editor in Axe-Edit 1.01.06, but if it is, perhaps this might slow the immediacy of the response slightly?

Anyone else seeing these issues (I know they are a bit specific)? Hope this helps!

Lee

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 7.34.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 7.34.50 AM.png
    297.7 KB · Views: 14
I'm not 100% sure I am following you... But that is (or has been for me) a slight lag in updating of the fields shown in Axe-Edit when changing between buttons or layouts.

After you select something, give it a couple seconds.

I suspect this is worse the higher your CPU load is.

I'm not 100% sure I am following you... But that is (or has been for me) a slight lag in updating of the fields shown in Axe-Edit when changing between buttons or layouts.

After you select something, give it a couple seconds.

I suspect this is worse the higher your CPU load is.

Is there something specific that is t making sense? I know it was convoluted but I tried to describe with enough detail so it would make sense or another could replicate.

And just for reference, in the image I posted, the “virtual” section i refer to is in the middle of the screen (I’ve chosen 6 switches but it can also show all twelve if using an FC-12.

The “Scene” fields I mention are in the lower section of the image, with one under the Tap header and when choosing Toggle under the hold header, there are two fields.

All of this occurred while in an empty preset.

Hope some of this might help it make more sense.

Lee

I guess the best way to convey the issue is to describe what you are trying to accomplish, what the expected state is and what the actual state is.

I don't know what "upper field" and "lower field" are. Do you mean the "labels" for each button (upper label is for Tap, and lower label is for Hold)?

In your screen shot, the labels for button 2 are showing what is expected. The Tap is a scene select and shows the scene label. The Hold is a scene toggle and shows the primary scene.

Also, re-reading your post and looking more at the details, I'm confused as to why you are doing things this way.

What you've done for button 2 will:

On Tap select scene 2.

On Hold select scene 2 or alternately toggle to scene 8 (if you're already on 2).

You could just as easily set this button to be Scene Toggle on the Tap function... Or set it to be Scene Select 2 on Tap and Scene Select 8 on Hold.

What is your real goal with the buttons?

I guess the best way to convey the issue is to describe what you are trying to accomplish, what the expected state is and what the actual state is.

I don't know what "upper field" and "lower field" are. Do you mean the "labels" for each button (upper label is for Tap, and lower label is for Hold)?

In your screen shot, the labels for button 2 are showing what is expected. The Tap is a scene select and shows the scene label. The Hold is a scene toggle and shows the primary scene.

Good idea; my main intent was to have access to Scene 7 and Scene 8 on my FC-6 via the Hold function. As I was choosing the function, I saw Toggle listed and thought I’d give it a try. I hadn’t yet actually used it when the little niggles caught my eye. I wanted to share this with the FC team in case they wished to smooth out any issues that may have slipped past.

Well unintentionally you got my meaning, as I was referencing the two labels.

I guess I was expecting the labels for both switch #1 and switch #2 would follow the same logic, which they didn’t. In the Hold section on switch #1 I entered Scene 1 as the primary and Scene 7 as the secondary, but instead of displaying the primary scene in the Hold label, it actually displayed the secondary scene.

Thanks for the reply.

Good idea; my main intent was to have access to Scene 7 and Scene 8 on my FC-6 via the Hold function. As I was choosing the function, I saw Toggle listed and thought I’d give it a try. I hadn’t yet actually used it when the little niggles caught my eye. I wanted to share this with the FC team in case they wished to smooth out any issues that may have slipped past.

Well unintentionally you got my meaning, as I was referencing the two labels.

I guess I was expecting the labels for both switch #1 and switch #2 would follow the same logic, which they didn’t. In the Hold section on switch #1 I entered Scene 1 as the primary and Scene 7 as the secondary, but instead of displaying the primary scene in the Hold label, it actually displayed the secondary scene.

Thanks for the reply.
If this is still happening, please upload a screen shot of the FC editor, and be sure to have switch 2 selected so we can see the assignments.

I'm not sure, but I expect is because you were already on Scene 1 - which means the toggle label will show scene... Because that is the current "destination" of that switch.

Try changing to scene 2 and see what happens to the labels :)

If this is still happening, please upload a screen shot of the FC editor, and be sure to have switch 2 selected so we can see the assignments.
The screenshot he attached in the OP already shows that, unless I'm not understanding what you want to see.

I'm not sure, but I expect is because you were already on Scene 1 - which means the toggle label will show scene... Because that is the current "destination" of that switch.

Try changing to scene 2 and see what happens to the labels :)

I gave this a try, and sure enough, me being on scene 1 in the actual preset was influencing the different behavior between the FC switch 1 and 2. When I clicked on scene 3, switch 1 and switch 2 looked to behave the same. Good call!

So the only remaining question is about the scene numbers in the virtual board changing to an incorrect number on screen prior to going to the correct number for the expected scene. And this was only when descending (from high to low) switch numbers, where it behaved correctly as you assend.

Does this slightly odd behavior on the editor’s screen reflect similar actions in the background of the actual FC, and if so, does it add any unnecessary lag when the FC is in use?

When you stomp a switch, it shows you the Hold function. When you let go, it goes back to showing the Tap function.

When you stomp a switch, it shows you the Hold function. When you let go, it goes back to showing the Tap function.

Not really what I was experiencing, but I wrote a book so don’t blame if tldr.

In the FC editor, If I’m in layout 2 (scenes) and have chosen scene 6 via switch #6, and then click switch #5, the value in both the Tap section and Hold section actually moves to 7, but then rapidly shifts to 5. Same for any movement from a higher numbered switch to a lower one. The larger number switch number seems to be the driver, so it always moves +1 compared to the originating switch number, and then goes to the expected lower number. Again, this is in the editor so is occurring with the virtual switches on a monitor. Just don’t know if it might bleed over to add a blip of time lag on the real FC.

Cheers

Lee

In the FC editor, If I’m in layout 2 (scenes) and have chosen scene 6 via switch #6, and then click switch #5, the value in both the Tap section and Hold section actually moves to 7, but then rapidly shifts to 5. Same for any movement from a higher numbered switch to a lower one. The larger number switch number seems to be the driver, so it always moves +1 compared to the originating switch number, and then goes to the expected lower number. Again, this is in the editor so is occurring with the virtual switches on a monitor. Just don’t know if it might bleed over to add a blip of time lag on the real FC.

Cheers

Lee
Ah, I missed that. I'll have a look.

Cheers

Lee
I've seen that and did reply earlier about it. It seems to only show up (for me) during transitioning from one state to another. After a couple seconds it always shows the correct value.

I never noticed a pattern to what was displayed, and there are other items in Axe-Edit that have a lag before being in-sync so I never really worried about it.

I must be having a brain-farty day. Too much banging on my phone while I'm running errands. I didn't catch that the lag was in Axe-Edit. (Note to self: Read all the words.)

Priority is given to communications that affect live performance. Changes to the hardware get priority over Axe-Edit screen updates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom