FC-6/FC-12 compatibility?

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
As a (self proclaimed) commercial preset maker, I am curious about which 'FC' to get.

I only need the FC-6 for my personal needs. But, what happens when someone with an FC-12 loads a preset that was setup with the switches all pre-programmed with an FC-6? Are the first six switches the same, and the last six are blank/unassigned? And what about the other way around?

I have noticed that I can't assign any of the FC switches without one connected to the Axe-Fx III. I would like to have the switches setup with the first six covering the necessary stuff for the FC-6 owners, and the last six with extra options for the FC-12 owners.

I want to have the switches all pre-set to work with each preset, on a preset-by-preset basis, in the same way as the AX8.

What is possible? will I need both to be able to do this?

As a (self proclaimed) commercial preset maker, I am curious about which 'FC' to get.

I only need the FC-6 for my personal needs. But, what happens when someone with an FC-12 loads a preset that was setup with the switches all pre-programmed with an FC-6? Are the first six switches the same, and the last six are blank/unassigned? And what about the other way around?

I have noticed that I can't assign any of the FC switches without one connected to the Axe-Fx III. I would like to have the switches setup with the first six covering the necessary stuff for the FC-6 owners, and the last six with extra options for the FC-12 owners.

I want to have the switches all pre-set to work with each preset, on a preset-by-preset basis, in the same way as the AX8.

That’s a darn good question. I’m not sure what the answer is, however I will be posting a video later of my newest custom layout. I’m actually using three layouts to cover all my bases. So I’m thinking with everyone who has an FC foot controller, that each individual’s FC will be unique in the way that they have set it up. So my assumption would be that all presets that you create won’t be affected by a users foot controller.That’s my two cents, feel free to chime in if I’m wrong LOL.

The manual has a section about how the button layout "shifts" when using the FC-12 vs FC-6.

It seems odd that you can't program switches without one connected. That is not my understanding... Unless you are using the EZ mode which requires button presses?

Edit:

Corrected :)

Last edited:
It would make more sense to program Per-Preset switches rather than override any layouts. You won’t have any idea how someone has configured their layouts. Also, there is a global option to disable overrides to prevent exactly this problem.

If you configure Per-Preset switches they will automatically appear on any layout that has switches configured as Per-Preset placeholders. From the factory Layout 6 is dedicated completely to Per-Preset switches.

You can't really ship an FC configuration with a preset. Even if you setup some preset-specific switches, if the end user doesn't expose those preset-specific switches in their layout your customizations won't be visible to them.

I'd probably architect for scenes still if I was making presets for sale. They're universally addressable from any controller of any size. If I did per-preset switches for anything I'd note it in a README and let the user know but I wouldn't center a preset around a per-preset switch setup because it's too variable on the end user side how that switch would be accessed.

There's my $0.02. Given for free. So you know what it's worth. ;)

Back
Top Bottom