FC-6 and Scene change with Bluetooth [solved]

I don’t have any problem between the GT and the Axe, like I said in the OP. The trouble comes when I use the FC6 and the iPad. I quickly tried to put CC and PC in a different sequence with no success. I’ll try the sysex.
Ok, I'm getting confused here. Are you using the GT and the FC at same time?

If not, then the FC is not related to problem as it neither sends nor responds to midi.

Please elaborate on the setup that works and the one that doesn't.

Also confused on what's hooked to what and where.
iPad to Gt via usb.
Yamaha bluetooth adapter hooked somewhere.
I understand the PC after CC part of the conversation

When I was using my MFC101 with the AFX3 I hooked midi out of the MFC to the Yamaha BT adapter then the in side of the Yamaha BT adapter to in on AFX3. Then out of AFX3 to in on MFC. that way when I sent a PC via bluetooth it got sent to the AFX which passed it to the MFC. Far as changing scenes I always used HEX code. This was using band helper which im sure sent PC before the HEX.

Why Im wondering exactly what his setup is. Just for the purpose of my own understanding.

Sorry for the lack of details, here is the scenario:
My first setup was Axe FX III, RJM GT16, iPad connected with USB to the GT.
I use OnSong app to switch songs and send PC’s and CC’s simultaneously as I flip the pages of my song list. Very handy and works with no problem.
As I’m using the same preset for different songs, I send a CC#34 with correct value to start the songs with a different scene.
From OnSong I send the PC to the GT on his dedicated Midi channel that is of course different than the Axe midi channel, the GT receive this data, switch to the correct GT preset, with the specific IA switches I want for this preset, at the same time the GT send a PC on the Axe channel to query the right preset in the Axe. As said this works perfectly, the Axe and GT is a perfect combination.
So far, so good, I wanted to have a smaller pedal board configuration and bought an FC6, which is fantastic, Faslink is a big bonus compared to midi cables.
And now that’s where the trouble begins, as I want to keep the same workflow.
I use a Yamaha Bluetooth midi interface to connect the iPad to the Axe. The FC is connected of course with Faslink.
I now need to send PC’s and CC’s on the Axe midi channel, when I send CC#34 to get a different scene than the default saved one, the scene switches briefly to the wanted scene, but returns to the default one a fraction of a second later. It doesn’t make a difference in which order I send the PC and the CC, the PC always takes priority, leaving me with the unwanted default scene.
Ignore Redundant PC is on.

Thank you for the explanation. I just tested this with BandHelper PC for the preset and CC on #34 for the scene and its working here with or without the FC connected. I may have missed it in the conversation but had you assigned 34 to scene select in Setup Midi/Remote Other on the AFX3? I assume you had. Just to be clear this is with the Yamaha adapter connected to both in and out of the AFX3 with no other midi stuff like a merger or anything connected?

Could you not send the CC at all and use a HEX code for the scene change?

Midi Scene change hex codes
Scene 1 enter B0 22 00
Scene 2 enter B0 22 01
Scene 3 enter B0 22 02
Scene 4 enter B0 22 03
Scene 5 enter B0 22 04
Scene 6 enter B0 22 05
Scene 7 enter B0 22 06
Scene 8 enter B0 22 07
I tested sending B0 22 00 in sysex, no response from the Axe, should I put F0 in front of it? Should I leave the spaces between just like what you wrote? Send Realtime Sysex is ON in the Axe.

I can midi monitor that I sent the PC, and after that the scene CC with correct value, but the Axe still goes on the saved scene. Sometimes when send the midi data from the iPad 3 or 4 times in a row, then suddenly the Axe could go to the wanted scene, but it's random, and not usable live.

Thank you for the explanation. I just tested this with BandHelper PC for the preset and CC on #34 for the scene and its working here with or without the FC connected. I may have missed it in the conversation but had you assigned 34 to scene select in Setup Midi/Remote Other on the AFX3? I assume you had. Just to be clear this is with the Yamaha adapter connected to both in and out of the AFX3 with no other midi stuff like a merger or anything connected?
Exactly, yes scene is assigned to #34 in the Setup/Midi Menu. Yes, the MD-BT01 is connected to Midi in and out. I now suspect OnSong not sending the right data, but when I look at my Midi Monitor app it's fine...

Send realtime is OFF on mine. Not sure on the F0 in front I just put B0 22 02 in my app and can chang scene with just that or also as the PC to select a preset. Here is my General midi screen shot.

IMG_3387.jpg

Problem solved! I simply introduced a 100ms delay between the PC and the scene CC.
I suspected the FC6 (wrongly, sorry buddy!) because it was fine when using the GT. Maybe some delay was present somewhere in the flow making it work with the GT.
Thanks to everybody chiming in.
@Tom Morris Send Realtime sysex must be on for me for the GT to be able to display tempo and tuner. F0 is for OnSong to know it’s a sysex.
I’m not sure that the Bluetooth MD-BT01 is dealing correctly with sysex. The Axe don’t respond to those I send.

Problem solved! I simply introduced a 100ms delay between the PC and the scene CC.
I suspected the FC6 (wrongly, sorry buddy!) because it was fine when using the GT. Maybe some delay was present somewhere in the flow making it work with the GT.
Thanks to everybody chiming in.
@Tom Morris Send Realtime sysex must be on for me for the GT to be able to display tempo and tuner. F0 is for OnSong to know it’s a sysex.
I’m not sure that the Bluetooth MD-BT01 is dealing correctly with sysex. The Axe don’t respond to those I send.
those HEX messages that were quoted to you, arent SYSEX. They are the bytes of data that actually get sent for a CC.
B0 = CC
22 (hex)=34
00 = scene1

those HEX messages that were quoted to you, arent SYSEX. They are the bytes of data that actually get sent for a CC.
B0 = CC
22 (hex)=34
00 = scene1
Thanks, no wonder it doesn’t work sent as sysex. Do you know the sysex equivalents, as I can’t send Hex message from the OnSong app.

Thanks, no wonder it doesn’t work sent as sysex. Do you know the sysex equivalents, as I can’t send Hex message from the OnSong app.

If what you have is working now, I'm not sure I'd bother.

That said, the third party MIDI spec is in a sticky. Per the PDF:

SET/GET SCENE (COMMAND 0CH)
Sets and/or gets the scene.
Message format:
F0 00 01 74 10 0C dd cs F7.
dd is the desired scene. To query set dd = 7F.
Returns:
F0 00 01 74 10 0C dd cs F7; where dd is the current scene

Note that you would need to calculate the checksum (cs) for each scene.

If what you have is working now, I'm not sure I'd bother.

That said, the third party MIDI spec is in a sticky. Per the PDF:

SET/GET SCENE (COMMAND 0CH)
Sets and/or gets the scene.
Message format:
F0 00 01 74 10 0C dd cs F7.
dd is the desired scene. To query set dd = 7F.
Returns:
F0 00 01 74 10 0C dd cs F7; where dd is the current scene

Note that you would need to calculate the checksum (cs) for each scene.
Which before you ask (checksum), is the same every time (for scenes). Calculations have been posted a number of times in (IIRC) the third party midi thread.

But as said, if you have a CC working for this, it’s not needed and in no way would correct the OPs “race condition”.

Thanks for the explanations, I’ll give it a try just for learning, but it will take time before I get some time to dive in.

Back
Top Bottom