FC-6 and Scene change with Bluetooth [solved]

lp59

Experienced
From my ipad within the OnSong app I send a CC#34 to change say from default scene 1 to scene 3. I see on the front panel a quick change to scene 3 but it revert to scene 1 immediately. I tried to play with Revert to Scene on/off with no success.
I’m using a Bluetooth Yamaha midi interface and it work well for the PC’s. In the controller list of the Axe Fx3, I assigned scene to CC#34.
The scene change works without problems with my RJM GT16 with the iPad connect per USB.
Any tips or things to try?

From my ipad within the OnSong app I send a CC#34 to change say from default scene 1 to scene 3. I see on the front panel a quick change to scene 3 but it revert to scene 1 immediately. I tried to play with Revert to Scene on/off with no success.
I’m using a Bluetooth Yamaha midi interface and it work well for the PC’s. In the controller list of the Axe Fx3, I assigned scene to CC#34.
The scene change works without problems with my RJM GT16 with the iPad connect per USB.
Can you try and use an app like midi monitor to ensure there's only one message being sent? (No PC after cc for example)
I use cc's for scenes from my mc6 and don't have this problem.

Does the gt16 change too? It may be forcing it back to S1?

Thanks for your answer, in fact I send the scene CC from my iPad through the GT16. The GT receives PC from the iPad on midi channel 16 to the GT which after send PC to the Axe on channel 14, and the Axe receives CC#34 from iPad on channel 14. iPad connected to GT with usb cable, GT to Axe with midi. Something is forcing it back to Scene 1, it must be the FC6, but I don’t know why and how I can change this.

Thanks for your answer, in fact I send the scene CC from my iPad through the GT16. The GT receives PC from the iPad on midi channel 16 to the GT which after send PC to the Axe on channel 14, and the Axe receives CC#34 from iPad on channel 14. iPad connected to GT with usb cable, GT to Axe with midi. Something is forcing it back to Scene 1, it must be the FC6, but I don’t know why and how I can change this.
If you disconnect the FC6 does it still happen?

I'm not sure how the FC6 could affect anything, it is not midi... It can't do anything on it's own.

Reading your description again, how can you confirm that the GT has completed sending the PC to the Axe Fx before the iPad sends CC 34?

It could be that the CC is received before the PC.

Also, have you tried setting Ignore Redundant PC to ON (assuming you are sending the same PC you are already on)?

Remember the cc34 specifies the scene with a value, eg 2 for scene 3... off is (in midi) regularly 0, but if being sent would select scene 1.
Check you aren’t sending two cc34s

Reading your description again, how can you confirm that the GT has completed sending the PC to the Axe Fx before the iPad sends CC 34?

It could be that the CC is received before the PC.

Also, have you tried setting Ignore Redundant PC to ON (assuming you are sending the same PC you are already on)?
Everything works as intended with the GT, problem appears when using the FC. I can put the midi events in the order I want in my iPad, first the PC, and after the scene change CC#34.
Ignore Redundant PC is ON.

Last edited:
Remember the cc34 specifies the scene with a value, eg 2 for scene 3... off is (in midi) regularly 0, but if being sent would select scene 1.
Check you aren’t sending two cc34s
Yes, I’m aware of the scene specifies. I’m only sending one CC#34 after the PC.

Can you try and use an app like midi monitor to ensure there's only one message being sent? (No PC after cc for example)
I use cc's for scenes from my mc6 and don't have this problem.
Ok, I’ll try to monitor the midi events, thanks.

Everything works as intended with the GT, problem appears when using the FC. I can put the midi events in the order I want in my iPad, first the PC, and after the scene change CC#34.
Ignore Redundant PC is ON.
Yes, but if I understand correctly you are sending a PC to the GT, which in turn sends a PC to the Axe Fx.

So you send a PC to the GT followed by a CC to the Axe Fx, meanwhile somewhere in that process the GT receives the PC and sends a PC to the Axe Fx.

I think there is a race condition in your midi commands... You have no way to guarantee the sequence.

Possibly with the FC attached it adds a small bit of overall processing delay?

Yes, but if I understand correctly you are sending a PC to the GT, which in turn sends a PC to the Axe Fx.

So you send a PC to the GT followed by a CC to the Axe Fx, meanwhile somewhere in that process the GT receives the PC and sends a PC to the Axe Fx.

I think there is a race condition in your midi commands... You have no way to guarantee the sequence.

Possibly with the FC attached it adds a small bit of overall processing delay?
Yes, it is exactly like that. And works with the GT. I downloaded an app on my iPad called MF monitor, and I saw that in fact the CC was sent BEFORE the PC, though it was listed in a reverse order, and that would explain the trouble. I can't test anything today because of my job and gig to play, but at least I got several clues from all the forum members that kindly answered my question. Thanks to all, and I will post as soon as I have some news.

You could drop sending the CC completely and use the “saved scene” feature, where the axefx remembers which scene you saved last and recalls that at preset load.

Could you not send the CC at all and use a HEX code for the scene change?

Midi Scene change hex codes
Scene 1 enter B0 22 00
Scene 2 enter B0 22 01
Scene 3 enter B0 22 02
Scene 4 enter B0 22 03
Scene 5 enter B0 22 04
Scene 6 enter B0 22 05
Scene 7 enter B0 22 06
Scene 8 enter B0 22 07

Could you not send the CC at all and use a HEX code for the scene change?

Midi Scene change hex codes
Scene 1 enter B0 22 00
Scene 2 enter B0 22 01
Scene 3 enter B0 22 02
Scene 4 enter B0 22 03
Scene 5 enter B0 22 04
Scene 6 enter B0 22 05
Scene 7 enter B0 22 06
Scene 8 enter B0 22 07
It's still the same problem: the sequence of events.

@lp59 - why are you sending the PC to the GT at all? Why not just send it directly to the Axe Fx? I assume that the GT is doing bi-directional communication with the Axe Fx and would "follow" the preset change?

Otherwise, you could do this:

Send PC to Axe Fx
Send CC to Axe Fx
Send PC to GT

That way, with Ignore Redundant PC set to ON the PC from the GT-16 to the Axe Fx should not cause any change.

@lp59 - why are you sending the PC to the GT at all? Why not just send it directly to the Axe Fx? I assume that the GT is doing bi-directional communication with the Axe Fx and would "follow" the preset change?

Otherwise, you could do this:

Send PC to Axe Fx
Send CC to Axe Fx
Send PC to GT

That way, with Ignore Redundant PC set to ON the PC from the GT-16 to the Axe Fx should not cause any change.
I don’t have any problem between the GT and the Axe, like I said in the OP. The trouble comes when I use the FC6 and the iPad. I quickly tried to put CC and PC in a different sequence with no success. I’ll try the sysex.

Back
Top Bottom