FC 6/12 choice: regrets?

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got my invitation to purchase and I'm undecided between the 6/12, or just selling the AxeIII and stay with the AX8....

The 6 seems too small, I don't really want to toggle between more than a couple layouts, and the 12 seems too big.

Analysis paralysis.
I’m right with you except, I’m over the moon with the Axe III. What gives me pause about the FC 12 is the width of it more than anything. However, reading your post gave me an idea (which is an obvious one, I suppose). An FC 6 with four small external switches laid out at the bottom of the board. I found these little guys on Amazon:

Footswitch Pedal,Foot Switch,DUAL SWITCH MOSKY Full Metal Shell Amazon product ASIN B07GV72FF8
Not sure if this is the final solution for me but hey, it’s an idea.

@Hooligan Nice idea. I guess something like that would be nice to use as long as it was assigned to the same functions all the time (preset up/down for example). Also, from reading other threads I think there is some limitation as to what you can assign to external switches?

I keep going back and forth... The FC-12 and one EV-1 will fit in my board. Currently, I'm leaning towards the FC-6 and adding a second EV-1.

Last edited:
Adding a second Fc6 certainly would be more expensive than a FC12 is the way I look at it....

But, two fc6’s would make for a pretty cool setup too.... lol

Choices choices .....

@Hooligan...I keep going back and forth... The FC-12 and one EV-1 will fit in my board. Currently, I'm leaning towards the FC-6 and adding a second EV-1.

I'm in a similar situation. With my AFX II, I use the MFC-101 and two Mission expression pedals. Fits my 28" pedal board/case nicely. If I go with the FC-12, I'm down to one expression pedal, or I have to put a second one on the side next to the pedal board. Some of the stages I play on don't have room for that. (I've also got the Roland GR-55 taking up stage real estate.) If I go with the FC-6, I think I can fit the controller and 3 Mission pedals into my existing board/case. Decisions, decisions.

I gigged my Axe II weekly for years with MFC and Mission Exp pedals squeezed on a Pedaltrain 2 (24”). The flexibility of having 2 expression pedals is something I could not give up and a board that is 30+ inches would definitely not work for me. With the FC6 being 10” and the PT2 I might even be able to fit 3 expression pedals. I am hopeful given that I do a preset per song and typically get by with 2-3 scenes.

I gigged my Axe II weekly for years with MFC and Mission Exp pedals squeezed on a Pedaltrain 2 (24”). The flexibility of having 2 expression pedals is something I could not give up and a board that is 30+ inches would definitely not work for me. With the FC6 being 10” and the PT2 I might even be able to fit 3 expression pedals. I am hopeful given that I do a preset per song and typically get by with 2-3 scenes.

Same - FC-6 for me for the exact reasoning, but I'll stick with 2 expression pedals. I'm adding a Morningstar MC-6 to control some dedicated functions via MIDI. You might want to check it out... very compact, and it never hurts to have a general purpose MIDI controller available. :)

I’m also opting for the FC-6 for size reasons. I really didn’t want anything larger than the footprint of the MFC-101 and one Mission pedal. Some of the stages we play are very small, and have minimal space for my floor gear. I’m hoping that the FC-6 + the Mission pedal will be able to provide me with the control I need. Based on a quick perusal of the manual and reading some of the posts on this forum, I think I’ll be okay, but with the much smaller footprint of the FS-6, I’ll have extra space to add a couple of Boss FS-7’s to my set up if necessary.

My FC-6 arrives Thursday!!!!! I thought I would maybe add the FC-12 at a later date if needed
but from everything that's been posted, I think I will be more than fine with the FC-6 plus the smaller footprint is a big plus!

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got my invitation to purchase and I'm undecided between the 6/12, or just selling the AxeIII and stay with the AX8....

The 6 seems too small, I don't really want to toggle between more than a couple layouts, and the 12 seems too big.

Analysis paralysis.

Know how you feel, really miss the AX8 switching. Expect this will be cured with the FC-6. Almost every amp I demo in my Axefx 3 sounds/feels better than than my AX8, so just need that switching to make it perfect....especially with the displays on every switch (ingenious).

I’m contemplating adding a second FC-6. Independent layouts seem amazingly powerful.
I didn't think about this at all... how cool is it to use one FC-6 for smaller gigs and 2 x FC-6 for bigger shows.

Can you easily do the switch between one and two FC-6's and make two units work like FC-12?

I love how you've extended my layout diagram format here. Should I make a form-fillable PDF so others can easily do the same?
+1

I’m right with you except, I’m over the moon with the Axe III. What gives me pause about the FC 12 is the width of it more than anything. However, reading your post gave me an idea (which is an obvious one, I suppose). An FC 6 with four small external switches laid out at the bottom of the board. I found these little guys on Amazon:

Footswitch Pedal,Foot Switch,DUAL SWITCH MOSKY Full Metal Shell Amazon product ASIN B07GV72FF8
Not sure if this is the final solution for me but hey, it’s an idea.

I am still having my Bright onion MFC 4 external foot switch. Used it for volume up/down and something else I forget... So I am for sure going FC6 and this 4 button external switch. Perhaps use i for scenes... not sure... For the foot print that will be powerful and cover all I need

I signed up for the FC6 first....but changed my mind anyhow to the FC12.....more options for less money than an extra FC6....less tap dancing on stage....:)
So , rather overkill than regrets later ....

I have the 12, just played with the 6 last night. I love the size of the 6, but the 12 lets me be a bit lazy and not have to think so much about layouts or do as much pre-planning for my presets. I also like to have a dedicated tap button and scene / effects IA options so I think I will be most happy with the 12.

I didn't think about this at all... how cool is it to use one FC-6 for smaller gigs and 2 x FC-6 for bigger shows.

Can you easily do the switch between one and two FC-6's and make two units work like FC-12?
Yea. It’s quite possible to have a big gig/small gig thing going with this approach. Plus, you can change layouts independently. So you can have half the buttons change but the other half stay the same without repeating button settings on layouts.

It’s more work to set up and organize but more power and control in the end.

Back
Top Bottom