FC 6/12 choice: regrets?

Hooligan

Inspired
Has anyone purchased the FC12, and now wishes that they had purchased the FC6 instead? Or, vice-versa?

I’m torn between the two, as I’d imagine some others are as well. 6 has a great footprint. 12 has all the cannons. FC owners: what is your experience?

I wasn’t 100% sure either. Then I saw the video posted of the FC-12 booting up and I knew I made the right choice. Looks gorgeous! I don’t have any space requirements and prefer to have more buttons. Plus again, it looks so cool.

I have both at the moment. The FC-12 is definitely a monster. Swapping Layouts around on the fly is pretty awesome. Seems effortless honestly. It's a keeper. If you have both the 6 & 12, then mapping between the two becomes an issue (using independently, not daisy chained). I've basically made Layouts 1-4 for the FC-12, and 5-8 for the FC-6.

For the FC-6, I think I might be able to make it work but I don't have enough stick-time. I'm trying to figure out how to do things with minimum tap-dancing between layouts. The layout-link feature is incredibly handy for the FC-6. For example, I have a "scene(tap)/preset(hold)" button on my "main6" layout. Tapping that button takes me to the "scene" layout that shows 6 scenes displayed for quick access (no hold features or toggles). As soon as I select the scene it flips right back to the "main6" layout.

If the below Scene feature was ever implemented it would make life with the foot controllers much easier, IMO. I'd probably stop using all these IA's.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-make-a-block-scene-independent.141532/

Since the above doesn't exist, it requires using more IA's than I'd like for the FC-6. An alternative for me is to use more Presets that are almost duplicates of each other. I used to do the Preset-per-Song technique. If that's your thing then the FC-6 would be perfect. I've long since abandoned that approach and use more of a stompbox style setup with a just a few core presets that I toggle between.

Sigh.

Would you pay an extra $200 for the extra functionality? Hand wringing is unbecoming.

R
The 12 has been the plan. It’s a lot of real estate though, and the 6 has an unprecedented level of functionality for the footprint. I’m curious if people who already have theirs are thinking, “Wow, the 12 is great, but it’s really more than I needed.” Or, “I got the 6, and I wish I’d opted for more switches.”

Perhaps I’m misreading your post, but the “sigh” and “handwringing is unbecoming,” seems a bit judgmental. I’m using the forum to learn about the experience of fellow Axe Fx III owners to help inform my decision. Is that not okay?

I love my FC-6. I may buy a 12 for the studio, but live the 6 saves me weight and space when flying. And look at all it can do!View attachment 51903View attachment 51903
TBH, your video earlier is part of what had me reconsidering the 12. I’ve read the manual, but seeing your layout (and what is possible) on the 6 was inspiring. Been rocking a 30” pedalboard with an MFC and 2 EV1s for a few years and I would love to downsize.

In all honesty, I think that if the FC did not live up to the hype you would not have to ask for people’s opinions. People would be posting and saying as much. In spite of how some people on other forums might try to spin this forum and its members as a bunch of sycophants and zealots, I have seen no shortage of honest and even brutal commentary and feedback... some warranted and some not so much.

6 can do an amazing amount with only 6 switches, but you do need to get a bit creative, remember how to get around etc.

12 might be overkill, but you could have everything in one layout and not need to toggle, press and hold etc, which also has its appeal. Sky is the limit with the 12 though.

If it was $399 vs $799 or soemthing I think it might be less confusing, but they are priced pretty close with a modest price for double the switches

I bought a 6 and a 12. Honestly I could probably do just fine only the 6. But I’m going to use the 12 for now. I’ll keep the 6 for a rainy day, or a big stage maybe one day

TBH, your video earlier is part of what had me reconsidering the 12. I’ve read the manual, but seeing your layout (and what is possible) on the 6 was inspiring. Been rocking a 30” pedalboard with an MFC and 2 EV1s for a few years and I would love to downsize.

I just posted a real quick video of my latest greatest here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/post-your-fc-videos-here.146532/#post-1733530. Post #12. 4 layers and it does everything I ever need:cool:

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got my invitation to purchase and I'm undecided between the 6/12, or just selling the AxeIII and stay with the AX8....

The 6 seems too small, I don't really want to toggle between more than a couple layouts, and the 12 seems too big.

Analysis paralysis.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Got my invitation to purchase and I'm undecided between the 6/12, or just selling the AxeIII and stay with the AX8....

The 6 seems too small, I don't really want to toggle between more than a couple layouts, and the 12 seems too big.

Analysis paralysis.

It really all depends on what your needs are live, I guess. I need no more than 3 scenes per song, with very few exceptions. So with 3 scenes, preset up and down, and a tuner, I am gold. But, access to new layouts are instantaneous, which is perfect for rehearsals when I need to think thru blocks I may need to add to songs. The 12 is really just too big for flying, as I am always trying to shed weight. The 6 can go in a backpack as well as help with space on smaller stages:cool:

Yes, the 12 really is overkill for me. An FC-8 would have been perfect.

I'm leaning towards just selling the AxeIII. It's great, but the all-in-one convenience of the AX8 still seems to be winning out for me.

Edit: I plead temporary insanity. Just spent an hour messing with the Cab block in the AxeFX III. Phenomenal stuff... But I still haven't decided whether to get the FC-6 or 12 :eek:

Last edited:
I love how you've extended my layout diagram format here. Should I make a form-fillable PDF so others can easily do the same?

Thanks! Uh, Heck yeah, do it! I uploaded a PDF for the FC-6 a while back, but it wasn't form fillable, as honestly I don't know how to do that lol. o_O I assume you would do one for each? And I would certainly use it myself, since I have morphed my layouts a dozen times in just 3 days:rolleyes: But my latest is pretty cool. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom