FC-12 vs FC-6 decision

I have an FC6 with a pedal that switches views on tap and layouts on hold (other switch does tap and tuner), so I can quickly switch between views.

I get all the benefit I'd want from a 12 with the floorspace of a 6, plus I can switch the FC6 out with my FM3 too and use the switch for the same things

YMMV

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 47
If you need a FC-9 now, get the FC-12. You'll either eventually need, or find a good use for the extra 3 switches.

You can program stand in switches to do basically anything a normal FC switch can do.
But its double the width unfortunately. I don't know why this type of chassis was selected for the 12 for two rows. It would have been very ideal to have three rows of three or four switches. Where do I place the main large expression and three small ones im getting? Theres no pedalboards for that kind of width. And I can't step on anything placed behind these.

Its more practical for me to get the 6 with a row of three boss switches in front for the looper. If thats even possible to have them always on the top page to not change pages for the looper.

Last edited:
I have an FC6 with a pedal that switches views on tap and layouts on hold (other switch does tap and tuner), so I can quickly switch between views.

I get all the benefit I'd want from a 12 with the floorspace of a 6, plus I can switch the FC6 out with my FM3 too and use the switch for the same things

YMMV
Which pedal is that?

I've had the FC-6 for more than a couple of years now and I have to say it was the right decision for me. The last thing I want to be carting to my gig again is a pedalboard the size of a 212 cab. I really don't have that kind of space to play around with in a club nor do I want any extra weight to be carrying around.

Reactions: ESW
If you need 12 switches get the 12.
That was my initial thought, but after owning the 12, and really thinking about it and living with it for a while, I decided the controller pedals needed to be centered, as they were what I used more....

20210310_203459.jpg

This is where I ended up. Two FC6es. Boxcars....

That was my initial thought, but after owning the 12, and really thinking about it and living with it for a while, I decided the controller pedals needed to be centered, as they were what I used more....

20210310_203459.jpg

This is where I ended up. Two FC6es. Boxcars....
Haven't done this myself, but note that 2 6s lets you switch layouts on each of them independently. It's a cool setup.

That's exactly what I'm unsure about. With the FC-6, the looper function would always be in another layout, I guess, whereas on the FC-12 I could have it on top at all times.
You could have it on top. The default layout doesn't because its foot switch is on the bottom row, but you can change that.

I read through your question and responses but didn't see which modeler you're going to connect to, the FM3 or the FX3. Which one can make a difference.

I have the FC-12 on my FX3 and it never goes anywhere, it's a "permanent" installation. Everything is right there in front of me. It'll work with the FM3 but the mismatch in size is a pain.

I have the FC-6 with my FM3 because the two combined with OMG-9 are an excellent combination for an easily portable system. It takes a short adjustment time to get fluent with the OMG-9 layout, but it's very flexible and with the FM3+FC6 combination it's very comfortable quickly.

I've had the FC-6 for more than a couple of years now and I have to say it was the right decision for me. The last thing I want to be carting to my gig again is a pedalboard the size of a 212 cab. I really don't have that kind of space to play around with in a club nor do I want any extra weight to be carrying around.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days. I've had an FC12 since they started shipping and I've been using it with both my FM3 and Axe III. Towards the end of last year I ended up building an FC6 board and I've really been enjoying using it. You can do so much with just 6 switches and a couple of Mosky stand in switches.

I haven't touch my FC12 for a while now, it will be interesting to see how I get on gigging again with the FC6. I'm actually thinking of selling off my FC12 and buying another FC6 and putting it on the same board as the FM3 instead of having them on separate boards. And using my other FC6 board just for the Axe III. i might just end up keeping them separate but I've seen a lot of forum members do that and I like that I can use the OMG 9 setup as well.

Last edited:
If you're just one switch short (you mentioned the looper always being in another layout), get the 6 and add an external switch. You can program the external switch as a stand-in to control the looper.
So support told me you can have up to 4 switches. Im wondering, I have this old switchbox that has 4 switches on it and two trs cables coming out of it. Im wondering if I can use the 4 switches like this because clearly 2 are on 2 tips and the other two are on two rings.

So if this is the case then why can't I just have my looper on the top page all the time as the 4 buttons of this switchbox?

Also, the only remaining problem now is either learning to use the FC6+4 properly for all these functions as well as for controlling other midi-equipped pedals such as the meris enzo. But that only has 1/4" midi protocol. Not the 5pin ones.
And also using other midi stomps that do have the 5pin.

So do you think I should do the FC6 + the extra switches and buy a morningstar box that can control the other stuff of a mix of 1/4" midi conversion and standard 5-pin?
Or should I get a FC12 to try to run everything? Is the midi to 1/4 inch protocol possible with any FC series?
Im not finding anything about this kind of function in any manual. Unless there is some other box that does the conversion.

Also have this boss switch, a dual and single connected, but I hate that damn constant battery replacement on the double.

So support told me you can have up to 4 switches. Im wondering, I have this old switchbox that has 4 switches on it and two trs cables coming out of it. Im wondering if I can use the 4 switches like this because clearly 2 are on 2 tips and the other two are on two rings.

So if this is the case then why can't I just have my looper on the top page all the time as the 4 buttons of this switchbox?

Also, the only remaining problem now is either learning to use the FC6+4 properly for all these functions as well as for controlling other midi-equipped pedals such as the meris enzo. But that only has 1/4" midi protocol. Not the 5pin ones.
And also using other midi stomps that do have the 5pin.

So do you think I should do the FC6 + the extra switches and buy a morningstar box that can control the other stuff of a mix of 1/4" midi conversion and standard 5-pin?
Or should I get a FC12 to try to run everything? Is the midi to 1/4 inch protocol possible with any FC series?
Im not finding anything about this kind of function in any manual. Unless there is some other box that does the conversion.

Also have this boss switch, a dual and single connected, but I hate that damn constant battery replacement on the double.
Is the 4-switch box loaded with momentary switches or latching switches?

All latching.got it with this chinese Smarvo amp back in the day, for channel switching, reverb switch and effects switch.
It can sort-of work, but you won't be able to access any momentary actions with it.

Not sure if that would be an issue for the looper. Maybe someone more familiar with the looper will clarify.

The ideal switches would be momentary. Mosky makes relatively inexpensive 2-switch boxes that are small and can be wedged into leftover space pretty easily, especially if using nice flat plug right-angle TRS cables....

Is the midi to 1/4 inch protocol possible with any FC series?

The FC controllers don’t do MIDI, but your connected Axe-Fx III or FM3 can do some control MIDI via scenes (with the MIDI block) or Control Switches. And then you can trigger that stuff from your FC.

1/4” MIDI isn’t a protocol, it’s just a different connector. Only 3 pins are used in the 5-pin DIN connector, so you can reduce that down to a simple TRS jack. It’s still MIDI protocol being sent down the copper. You could get a simple adapter cable (or build one) to go from the 5-pin DIN output jack to TRS MIDI jacks on other pedals.

The ideal switches would be momentary. Mosky makes relatively inexpensive 2-switch boxes that are small and can be wedged into leftover space pretty easily, especially if using nice flat plug right-angle TRS cables....

But looper functions are latching. You hit play till you hit stop.
The manual also says the FC can be programmed to make the latching a momentary and the otherway around.
I have boss switches I coulld use as well. The FS6 and FS-5U

But looper functions are latching. You hit play till you hit stop.
The manual also says the FC can be programmed to make the latching a momentary and the otherway around.
I have boss switches I coulld use as well. The FS6 and FS-5U
Momentary switches can be made to act like latching switches via software.

Latching switches cannot be made to act like momentary switches at all.

I'm struggling with the same decision now, since I've sold off a bunch of pedals my FX3 eliminated :D:D:D
I'm still trying to figure out the menu system for FC but my issue for considering the FC6 isn't money, but size and weight.
Right now Im using a midi controller (Boss es8) to choose FX3 preset (diff preset every song) , then buttons in the es8 bank to change scenes. I keep it pretty simple so button 8 sends the preset select and up to 1-7 for scene selects (some do use 7). Of course the FC probably opens up other ways of doing things but I haven't any found any videos yet that click with me.
Guess it's time to RTFM for real :cool:

Back
Top Bottom