FC-12 vs FC-6 decision

AxtEffekt

I've finally gotten an invite from the EU waitlist for an FC-12 (or an FC-6 a few weeks later). To be honest, I still haven't made up my mind. I did watch a couple of videos but I'm still not sure which version would be better. Of course, I'd be happier with a smaller footprint. On the other hand, I know I like to switch on and off effects (mimicking a pedal board) and also use the looper frequently. I know it's absolutely doable with the FC-6 but involves a clever setup and extra presses. Not sure how this would affect my creativity, as I do a lot of improvisation.

Perhaps someone can tell me of their experience and nudge me into one or the other direction. I currently only play at home, mostly post-rock/ambient with delays/reverbs but also the heavies and, as mentioned, there's need for a looper.

That's exactly what I'm unsure about. With the FC-6, the looper function would always be in another layout, I guess, whereas on the FC-12 I could have it on top at all times.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing lately. I have also got my invite for my FC12 from G66. I was fortunate enough to buy an FC6 on ebay and although it's a great controller I decided to sell the 6 and buy a 12. Purely because of the extra switches and I plan to use it with both the Axe III and the FM3 when it comes out.

If you think about what you need when you go and gig or use in the studio then it should be a pretty easy decision. I just went through my band's setlist song by song and worked out what I needed and it was quite obvious I needed the 12 as I use 8 scenes on one preset and having access to those 8 switches at once is a must for me. Plus I now have the added bonus of the hold and toggle features so that means even more access to different blocks etc.

I hope that helps.

If you're just one switch short (you mentioned the looper always being in another layout), get the 6 and add an external switch. You can program the external switch as a stand-in to control the looper.

I planned and planned for a FC12, then when I got the FC6 invite couple of months back (first EU delivery) I took one, thinking I would at least be able to try it.

Within a couple of days I'd cancelled the FC12 order, the 6 is really neat and a nice size and you can do so much with it, ok - sometimes in home use I'm one or two clicks away, but it's really easy to get to.

For gigs I'd absolutely use the 6, and the external switches option would be well worth considering

The 12 looks great, but I just don't need the buttons and I really don't need that footprint.

Real point for me was to get more disciplined in my patches, I really didn't need every single option - I was just pretending I did.

I have my scenes layout for instance, four buttons dedicated to scenes - 1-4 and each one toggles between it's main scene and the one +4. So Scene 1 button toggles between that and scene 5.

Scene 1 could be a JCM 800, Scene 5 is that in a solo sound (so more drive, delay etc) - normally I would be on the JCM before a solo, if I'm not I'm two presses away to hit the solo.

Other two buttons - tap tempo and tuner (prime candidate for external switch if I needed it) and the other is effects layout with hold for looper layout.

Completely amazed with how much you can do with the buttons, haven't once wanted for more

The 4 external stand-in switches really make the already versatile Fc6 a whole new unit. Kind of a fc10 of sorts.... obviously the 12 could also benefit, going up to 16, but maybe gets to the point of overkill for many, and with a lot more stage real estate...

I have my 6 with a dedicated switch for effects, presets and scenes, with things like hold for bank up/down, so I have 6 presets on the fly, with 1/2 toggle I have 7 scenes, plus a hold for 8, and I have effects setup with 5 on one page, and then a “more” button for 5 more, so basically 10 dedicated effects on/off switches with gold changing channels

Super versatile for what I need, and it’s essentially a FC9. Not to say some couldn’t benefit from more switches, but I honestly don’t know what I’d even do with 12, as I feel like my 6 is kind of overkill even

I was able to get an FC-6 used. I was very surprised by how usable it is. You need to think through your workflow and organize yourself with a 6, but it is very functional.

I had an RJM GT/MM 22. In my experience more buttons just makes it easier to implement a workflow without having to do much planning.

Thank you, everyone, for your valuable feedback! It has helped me alot. There were a few aspects I hadn't considered, i.e. the external footswitch functionality. I'm going ahead with the FC-12, since I realized I prefer everything on top as far as functions are concerned. I could easily replicate my 10-piece pedalboard, for instance. Also, the FC-6 isn't half the price of the FC-12, and I'd probably end up getting extra footswitches with the former. On the other hand, for live the FC-6 would certainly be my preference.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and insights!

Get the 12 and try it. You will have zero difficulty selling it for a full recovery of cost, shipping and all, if you decide it’s too big. There’s just no replacement for putting your foot on it in your situation.

I got a 6 to tide me over while I was waiting for the 12 to become available. I worked and worked at the best way to set it up, bought external switches etc. Finally got the 12 and all I can say is that while the 6 can be made to be very flexible, for me the 12 is much, much more usable. At least (checking) twice as usable! I just need the extra switches and less tap dancing. And the 12 is smaller than I thought.

Reactions: Rex
If you do the kitchen sink preset with 8 scenes and lots of effects blocks accessing 4 channels each, the FC6 is too small. The FC12 is perfect for big presets, because you can get all your scenes and effects on one layout, plus you got twice as many holds! I recommend reading the manual multiple times, and sketch out layouts on paper. I only use about 12 presets in a gig, so I was able to make a MAIN preset layout 1 with a bank size of 12. I just make a hold in my PERFORM layout and then I can have presets that layout link back to PERFORM or stay in MAIN. The Axe III is so powerful that you run out of switches before hitting the CPU ceiling. I hate using bank up and down, but with a FC6, you pretty much have to if you have more than 12 presets (6 tap/6 hold). If you have more than 12 presets, you'll have to use bank size 4 or 5 to make room for bank up or whatever. I didn't like it, and it felt like I was using a Digitech RP6.

For an average show in my 80's arena rock band, I use 2 presets. One preset I use for the vast majority of the show. This has 4 main scenes which are clean, dirt, heavy, and lead. I have the lower buttons on the FC6 programmed for clean, dirt, and heavy scenes. Scene8 is the lead sound and I just use the toggle functionality on the lower switches to select between the rhythm and lead scenes. So for the entire night I just use the 3 lower switches. I could basically get away with an FC3 if they made one. The power and flexibility of the FC6/FC12 is that good. YMMV.

The FC12 is awesome if you do kitchen sink presets. Also, coming from the MFC, I had a general layout memorized, and the FC12 helps keep me working with a very similar layout for my "perform" layout. You can get a massive amount of stuff done with the FC12 and external switches. For example:

My far right top & bottom switches are pretty much always Tap Tempo/Looper, FX Layout/Show Hold Functions. This leaves me with two rows of 5 switches to play around with. The tap/hold functions of my stand in switches are Looper Layout/Scene 8 (acoustic input) and Volume Boost/Delay Boost for now. Basically stuff I always want available but don't want to accidentally stomp in the heat of the moment.

Perform Layout: Has 5 scene switches on the bottom and my 5 most used effects on the top. The hold function of each effect switch toggles to Channel D, which I have reserved for special purposes. The hold function of each scene engages an effect similar to the switch above it. IOW, if the tap function for the top left button engages Delay 1, the hold function of that switch changes to Delay 1, Channel D, with the feedback/mix tied to an expression pedal. The hold function of the button underneath it engages Delay 2. Another example, the tap function of the 5th button is Drive 1, hold function changes to Drive 1, Channel D (fuzz pedal), and the hold function of the switch below it engages the Amp Boost.

More FX Layout: This "slides" my effects up. So the effects that were hidden as hold functions "under" my scene switches are moved to the top row where I can see their on/off status as well as access them by simply tapping. I have some lesser used scenes that move to the bottom row, and the hold functions of those switches access even lesser used effects.

Looper Layout: I slightly modified the default to have all my looping functions along the bottom with my 5 most used scenes along the top.

Preset Layout: I set this up with a bank size of 8, with buttons to Bank Up/Down by increments of 1 or 10 (tap or hold, respectively). This leaves 8 buttons to switch presets, and the hold functions change scenes. So basically I can audition presets and their various scenes through the preset layout. I have it set where it does NOT go back to the perform layout when a preset is selected, since I don't change presets that much.

I can't decide either.
I think the issue is really needing an FC-9 with three rows of 3.
Has someone requested this on the wish-list already?
Unless... can you setup the FC-6 to have the external switches to be the looper switches that are immediately accessible looper functions without needing to go to a different page?
And can someone reccomend a good three-button switch in one chassis but with seperate trs outputs coming from each switch? So I can just place it right in front of the fc-6. This way I won't need to wish list a 9.

Last edited:
Full transparency, I went with a 22 button controller. It’s apparent I’m not much into “making do.”

I still say floor space for one switch unit is better than slightly less floor space for half the buttons and cobbling on those “make do” fixes. If six is too few, get the 12.

I can't decide either.
I think the issue is really needing an FC-9 with three rows of 3.
Has someone requested this on the wish-list already?
Unless... can you setup the FC-6 to have the external switches to be the looper switches that are immediately accessible looper functions without needing to go to a different page?
And can someone reccomend a good three-button switch in one chassis but with seperate trs outputs coming from each switch? So I can just place it right in front of the fc-6. This way I won't need to wish list a 9.
If you need a FC-9 now, get the FC-12. You'll either eventually need, or find a good use for the extra 3 switches.

You can program stand in switches to do basically anything a normal FC switch can do.

Back
Top Bottom