FC-12 to send MIDI Note values

ZenX

A bit new to the Axe 3, very New to the FC-12... I am trying to use the FC-12 to control a custom looper created in Ableton and I need the FC-12 to transmit MIDI note values such as A, A#, B, etc using typical MIDI protocol. I can't seem to find how to set this up in the FC-12. How is this done, or perhaps the FC-12 can't send MIDI note information?

The footcontroller doesn't send any midi data. Look at the MIDI block on the AXE-FX. The MIDI message is sent when you load the scene.

From the manual:

"You may have noticed that the FC is not a MIDI controller. It does not have MIDI ports. Combined with the Axe-Fx III, however, it becomes part of a MIDI control system. Even without an FC, the Axe-Fx can serve as the centerpiece of a MIDI rig, transmitting various messages from its MIDI OUT port. The FC controls the Axe-Fx and the Axe-Fx sends MIDI messages. Don’t be mistaken and expect MIDI messages at the MIDI THRU port of the III; all MIDI messages are generated by the Axe-Fx III at its MIDI OUT port."

Wow, that's kind of a disaster. So how can the FC-12 be integrated with Ableton's looper, which so many Axe owners use?

Technically, the FC doesn’t send MIDI (the Axe does the heavy lifting). That being said, you can define six Control Switches on FC which cause MIDI to be sent when pressed. I use my Control Switches to control a hardware looper. Alternatively, you can use the MIDI Block to send MIDI that coincides with scene changes on the Axe.

Wow, that's kind of a disaster. So how can the FC-12 be integrated with Ableton's looper, which so many Axe owners use?

It is certainly less than ideal. You have to use a MIDI to USB interface. I use the iConnectivity mi/o. It was $40. Now I can control my hardware looper and Ableton.

So essentially if I have ten different MIDI commands I need to use to control my Ableton looper, not only are there not enough control switches but it has to be set up using MIDI blocks, patch by patch, and there will be audio drop out of the loop signal when switching from preset to preset...?

So essentially if I have ten different MIDI commands I need to use to control my Ableton looper, not only are there not enough control switches but it has to be set up using MIDI blocks, patch by patch, and there will be audio drop out of the loop signal when switching from preset to preset...?

Yes, but a point of clarification. Control Switches are not tied to scene changes - they are independent. The MIDI Block is tied to scene changes.

You can do it within a single preset (the commands are sent on scene changes), but you will need many scenes. And depending on how you set your scenes up, there is no drop out when switching scenes.

The alternative is to make the Axe the slave and Ableton the master, or to use an external midi controller instead. Neither of these options will use the FC12

Can't fit all the sounds I want to use when looping into one preset. So even with Ableton integration there's going to be preset changes I want to make and audio drop out when that happens. So looks like: I have to sell FC-12, purchase a MIDI footswitch controller and make Ableon Master and Axe slave in order to use all the great sounds I've come up with an Ableton looper-- with no audio drop out when playing live.

Can't fit all the sounds I want to use when looping into one preset. So even with Ableton integration there's going to be preset changes I want to make and audio drop out when that happens. So looks like: I have to sell FC-12, purchase a MIDI footswitch controller and make Ableon Master and Axe slave in order to use all the great sounds I've come up with an Ableton looper-- with no audio drop out when playing live.
I would love this functionality as well.
I trigger samples during performance with an MC6. It's an extra pedal and cost, but it does work.
I personally could not go back to a generic midi controller for the Axe after using the FC6, nothing else will be as elegant.

Can you (or someone) expand on this? Are you saying you would need 2 USB cables from the laptop to the AXE? That doesn't add up to me.
You need a USB to midi adapter to go from the Axe Fx to the computer for controlling the software because there's no midi out over USB.

You need a USB cable from your computer to the Axe Fx to connect Axe-Edit or FractalBot.

Back
Top Bottom