FC-12 Switch to Momentary?

Is there any way currently to use an FC to switch scenes or channels as a momentary function? It seems like Control Switches are not configurable to this purpose, and I'm thinking of creating a wish list post for this. Thanks in advance!
consider that a "momentary" function has an On vs Off behavior. if you turn a Pitch block on momentarily,

it starts Off
you press the switch to turn On
you let go to turn Off

so that is actually a Toggle - changing between 2 states. On is opposite of Off, and Off is opposite of On.

a Scene or Channel doesn't inherently have an opposite. there is no opposite of Scene 1. there is no opposite of Channel C.

also, since Control Switches are a Source for a modifier, you can't assign a Control Switch to a Scene since it's not a parameter that can be modified.

so at this time, i think there isn't a way.

I was thinking of it not as on or off, but just as one value switch down, and another value switch up. E.g., what I normally do is to trigger a MIDI button that transmits one CC value switch down and another switch up (often changed to something else via Bome MIDI Translator), so that it doesn't have to function as simply on / off only, but really just two different values, much the way the Fractal momentary Control Switch can just go between two values on a single modifier. In this case, what I'd like to do is to switch between, e.g., Channel B on switch down and Channel A on switch up or Scene 2 on switch down and Scene 1 on switch up, so there is a second value with what I'm thinking.

I totally realize the FC is not a MIDI controller, and I could achieve this now by using the CS function to send MIDI CC values triggered by the FC12 to the Axe FX III MIDI out port to the PC, finally back to the Axe FX III MIDI in port, but I was hoping there was something in current programming that I had missed to avoid that workaround.

I think the way that would accomplish this the easiest would be if it were possible to use the Tap and Hold function, with Hold set to Switch Up, but retaining the Tap function (maybe called Tap and Hold Momentary), so the Tap could be set to Scene 2 and the Hold Switch Up to Scene, for a quick momentary toggling between all the values that differ between the scenes, or channels.

I'll post this in the wish thread later. Thanks for the clarification @chris, and thanks to all those whose names I see over and over on this forum offering your intimate knowledge of operating this incredibly powerful system!

consider that a "momentary" function has an On vs Off behavior. if you turn a Pitch block on momentarily,

it starts Off
you press the switch to turn On
you let go to turn Off

so that is actually a Toggle - changing between 2 states. On is opposite of Off, and Off is opposite of On.

a Scene or Channel doesn't inherently have an opposite. there is no opposite of Scene 1. there is no opposite of Channel C.

also, since Control Switches are a Source for a modifier, you can't assign a Control Switch to a Scene since it's not a parameter that can be modified.

so at this time, i think there isn't a way.
What seems a reasonable default behavior would be having the "off" in this case revert to whatever scene or channel was selected before.

This could possibly (just speculating here) tie in functionally to a couple other things I have seen wished for last year, one being a sort of 'go to previous scene' functionality, the other a possible way to implement changing a block's channel independently of scene and/or having channel of block C follow channel of block A, or similar.

What seems a reasonable default behavior would be having the "off" in this case revert to whatever scene or channel was selected before.

This could possibly (just speculating here) tie in functionally to a couple other things I have seen wished for last year, one being a sort of 'go to previous scene' functionality, the other a possible way to implement changing a block's channel independently of scene and/or having channel of block C follow channel of block A, or similar.
yup, that's been requested for a while. the gear would have to have a place to "remember" what scene you were on last. so they'd have to write that in i'm guessing.

Back
Top Bottom