FC-12 Switch to Momentary?

Brian Coonan

Power User
Hi,

I have a preset that I want to set up one of the FC-12 switches to momentary and can't see how to do that. Manual says the switches can be tap or hold, so maybe it's not possible? It seems that it can be done with an external switch which I have, but wanted to see if I could confirm it just can't be done without that.

I currently have a delay I just need for some quick parts in a song and have a per-preset set up as toggle for the scene(s) but I still have to hit the button twice very quickly and was hoping I could do it easily.

Thanks much,
Brian

If you want a momentary function, you have to make sure there’s no Hold function on that switch. Otherwise, how old it know which one you mean? ;)
Thanks - yep, got it working exactly how I wanted it to with the help of Moke and Biskitboy - definitely makes sense about the hold function though too. I could see me doing that and being like "why the hell isn't this working!" lol

One other way to accomplish this is to set the Hold Function Execute Mode value from Timeout to Switch Up, so that the Hold function only activates when you release the switch, effectively creating a momentary switch.

One other way to accomplish this is to set the Hold Function Execute Mode value from Timeout to Switch Up, so that the Hold function only activates when you release the switch, effectively creating a momentary switch.
That’s useful for some things, but it doesn’t create a momentary switch.

A switch-up hold function doesn't do anything when you stomp it, and turns on when you let go.
and from there, you have to hold and let go again to turn it off again.

momentary let's you tap and release quickly to engage and bypass the block quickly. that's the goal here.

I see what you’re saying. I meant that in combination with Tap, that if you use the Tap function for the toe down and the Hold function with the Switch Up parameter selected, it would achieve the same behavior as a momentary switch.

I see what you’re saying. I meant that in combination with Tap, that if you use the Tap function for the toe down and the Hold function with the Switch Up parameter selected, it would achieve the same behavior as a momentary switch.
this isn't true unfortunately.

when a switch has both a Tap and Hold function, the Tap function triggers when you let go of the switch. otherwise it wouldn't know if you're tapping or holding.

so with your example, you'd have to tap, let go (for the tap function). then press again to hold, then let go (for the hold function). that would not be the same as a momentary where you tap (it turns on immediately) then let go (it turns off immediately), all just one press.

Reactions: Rex
this isn't true unfortunately.

when a switch has both a Tap and Hold function, the Tap function triggers when you let go of the switch. otherwise it wouldn't know if you're tapping or holding.

so with your example, you'd have to tap, let go (for the tap function). then press again to hold, then let go (for the hold function). that would not be the same as a momentary where you tap (it turns on immediately) then let go (it turns off immediately), all just one press.

Holy crap. Thanks for explaining that. I was just reading the manuals and wiki, but I missed that with my idea the Tap and Hold would override the Tap function. I have ordered the FC12, and it was not at first clear to me how I’d set up momentary when it arrives. So then the Control Switch function is really the one way to do it. I had read that there are six control switches total, and I couldn’t tell where specifically you’re limited in the number of Control Switches you can use, i.e., I read that that to mean you could only program six total switches as momentary, only as a global parameter.

Am I wrong to think that there is no way to set up FC6 or FC12 footswitches as momentary per preset or per scene? That is, if I set one footswitch as momentary, it will be momentary on every preset?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Holy crap. Thanks for explaining that. I was just reading the manuals and wiki, but I missed that with my idea would the Tap and Hold would override the Tap function. I have ordered the FC12, and it was not at first clear to me how I’d set up momentary when it arrives. So then the Control Switch function is really the one way to do it. I had read that there are six control switches total, and I couldn’t tell where specifically you’re limited in the number of Control Switches you can use, i.e., I read that that to mean you could only program six total switches as momentary, only as a global parameter.

Am I wrong to think that there is no way to set up FC6 or FC12 footswitches as momentary per preset scene? That is, if I set one footswitch as momentary, it will be momentary on every preset?

Thanks again!
Momentary can be per preset, using Per-Preset Overrides to set up the control switch usage for that preset. PPOs are stored with the preset, rather than with the layout, and are rather handy for a lot of things....

Momentary can be per preset, using Per-Preset Overrides to set up the control switch usage for that preset. PPOs are stored with the preset, rather than with the layout, and are rather handy for a lot of things....

Awesome. Thank you for that. That makes it completely intuitive then, both to have an actual momentary function, and to reassign it to whatever switch is most appropriate for that preset with the PPO.

Awesome. Thank you for that. That makes it completely intuitive then, both to have an actual momentary function, and to reassign it to whatever switch is most appropriate for that preset with the PPO.
The momentary/latching setting is part of the switch setup in either regular or PPO switches, so the same control switch can be latching or momentary on a per-preset basis with PPOs. It's super flexible....

The momentary/latching setting is part of the switch setup in either regular or PPO switches, so the same control switch can be latching or momentary on a per-preset basis with PPOs. It's super flexible....

I'm realizing that setup I've ever tried can be recreated on the AxeFX III / FC12 + expression pedal. I normally use Bome MIDI Translator to accomplish whatever weird scheme I want, but it seems like that will be unnecessary, and I truly will need nothing outside my new Fractal setup for my purposes. Flexible is good descriptor of everything about Fractal gear, from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Is there any way currently to use an FC to switch scenes or channels as a momentary function? It seems like Control Switches are not configurable to this purpose, and I'm thinking of creating a wish list post for this. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom