FC-12 shared between two guitarists?

So my band is currently using the Axe FX3 to run two guitars and a bass.

Guitar 1/Input 1
Guitar 2/Input 3
Bass/input 3

The bass is straightforward and doesn't need any effects however the guitars require to switch from clean channel to distortion on a few songs and occasionally need 1 guitar on clean while the other is on distortion.

It would also be nice to independently control Delay/Reverb for each guitarist.

I own a single FC-12 controller and I started setting it up the other day using Axe Edit.

The way I have it set up (or at least how I want it to be) is all the bottom buttons control Guitar 1 and all the top buttons control Guitar 2 (I color coded them in my photo so you can see what I'm trying to achieve)

The issue is: when I hit clean channel for example it affects BOTH guitars not just the one that I want to change. (maybe because clean is set as a scene not an effect?) And when I hit the button for Delay or Reverb it's only changing it for Input 1 (Guitar 1). In other words i would have to manually bypass reverb or delay for the second guitar using the Axe FX front panel or Axe edit.

How can I work around this mess and achieve what I'm trying to do in the photo? I just want control over both guitars independently.

Attachments

• 20200620_141231.jpg
    20200620_141231.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200619_170706.jpg
    20200619_170706.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200619_170652.jpg
    20200619_170652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Scenes have the potential to affect all blocks on the grid. You might want to use channels instead.
I’m not sure if your clean / dirty is a different channel on the amp block or if you are engaging the drive block. Interesting that your drive block is last in the chain. I would normally put it before the amp block.

As for the separate rows on the FC-12, cool idea. Looks like the problem is that they are assigned to the same instances of effect blocks. Both say Reverb 1. Change one to Reverb 2. Do the same for the delays and other blocks. Should work the way you want then.

One option to investigate is using control switches. By default, they should be scene independent, but there are options for toggling their on/off/last state in Axe Edit based on Scenes. You can't use them to switch channels, but you can use them to bypass/engage or modify any parameter that accepts a controller as input. In my presets, I typically use them to control the "dry" sound of my guitar. One CS, modifies the Amp gain & controls the Level. Another is an Amp Boost (instead of using a drive block, but it could activate a Drive instead). I use scenes for "wet" effects only.

Another possible way to handle this is to create a preset per-song. Have each scene define the unique combination/transitions for that particular song. You could use Global Blocks for this too. That will allow all your presets to appear to be the same (if they contain the same global blocks). If you change a global block amp setting, it would affect all presets using that global block. Now, when you go live, it's just simple Scene Transitions and Preset Transitions.

Last edited:
Scenes have the potential to affect all blocks on the grid. You might want to use channels instead.
I’m not sure if your clean / dirty is a different channel on the amp block or if you are engaging the drive block. Interesting that your drive block is last in the chain. I would normally put it before the amp block.

I'm gonna have to mess with the channels when I get back to my practice space. I think the reason I had scenes is because there were particular presets that I based my distortion and clean sound on (in other words I couldn't find a single amp that gave me both of what I needed so the solution was separate amps/scenes) but I do see how using a channel would maybe simplify things. I'm assuming I can then set one of the FC-12 buttons to change the channel to clean rather then change the entire scene?

Also regarding the drive block, I forgot I even had it in there, it's been a while since I initially setup my preset but knowing myself I probably put it there as a volume boost for lead parts. Would that make sense or should I still put it before the amp block? My intention is to only use it on occasion when I want a little boost.

One option to investigate is using control switches. By default, they should be scene independent, but there are options for toggling their on/off/last state in Axe Edit based on Scenes. You can't use them to switch channels, but you can use them to bypass/engage or modify any parameter that accepts a controller as input. In my presets, I typically use them to control the "dry" sound of my guitar. One CS, modifies the Amp gain & controls the Level. Another is an Amp Boost (instead of using a drive block, but it could activate a Drive instead). I use scenes for "wet" effects only.

Another possible way to handle this is to create a preset per-song. Have each scene define the unique combination/transitions for that particular song. You could use Global Blocks for this too. That will allow all your presets to appear to be the same (if they contain the same global blocks). If you change a global block amp setting, it would affect all presets using that global block. Now, when you go live, it's just simple Scene Transitions and Preset Transitions.

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'm gonna have some experimenting to do :cool:

Back
Top Bottom