FC-12 plus some Expression pedals - What board will you mount to?

moo cow

Inspired
So now that the dimensions on the FC-12 are posted (approx. 20"x9.25"), I curious what pedalboard you guys are considering giving that most will have a couple expression pedals as well.
I've looked at most the major players in the pedalboard market and their sizes are all either just too small or WAY to big.
Might have to be a custom job.
Post here if you find a good solution

I’ll probably just set it on the ground, heavy enough but not slide around, or at best, will get a thin piece of wood and fasten to that.

Never really understood the point in spending relatively big bucks on a “custom” pedalboard unless you’ve got like 20 pedals to mount and wire

Hendrix just had his wah, fuzz, etc sitting on the stage after all.....

I prefer a board. It simplifies and quickens set-up, protects the gear both in transit and at jobs, and it helps prevent wear and tear on jacks. My board of choice is Pedal Pad, and I use industrial Velco for placement.

I’ll probably just set it on the ground, heavy enough but not slide around, or at best, will get a thin piece of wood and fasten to that.

Never really understood the point in spending relatively big bucks on a “custom” pedalboard unless you’ve got like 20 pedals to mount and wire

Hendrix just had his wah, fuzz, etc sitting on the stage after all.....
It's for quick setup and helps prevent errors and cable damage.

Have you gigged much? You'd understand... You sometimes get 10 minutes to setup and sound check.

I set my case down, take off the lid, run my FASLink cable to the front of rack panel and done.

No arranging, no other cables, everything works and is securely in place.

Eric Johnson does what you're talking about and every single time I've seen him perform he has problems with his stuff on the ground.

So now that the dimensions on the FC-12 are posted (approx. 20"x9.25"), I curious what pedalboard you guys are considering giving that most will have a couple expression pedals as well.
I've looked at most the major players in the pedalboard market and their sizes are all either just too small or WAY to big.
Might have to be a custom job.
Post here if you find a good solution
Check nycpedalboards.com - I've had mine for 15+ years.

They have preset sizes and custom sizes... Which I'll probably be getting a new one as my current one can't house an FC-12 plus 4 Mission pedals.

It's for quick setup and helps prevent errors and cable damage.

Have you gigged much? You'd understand... You sometimes get 10 minutes to setup and sound check.

I set my case down, take off the lid, run my FASLink cable to the front of rack panel and done.

No arranging, no other cables, everything works and is securely in place.

Eric Johnson does what you're talking about and every single time I've seen him perform he has problems with his stuff on the ground.

Much less gigging these days, but when I have it was as simple as set MFC-101 on stage, plug in ethercon cable, and plug in my 2 EXP pedals with short TRS, which allows me to position the pedals in a bit more ergonomically friendly position for me as I like them angled, not parallel with the MFC.

I've built plenty of pedalboards over the years, and yes, they make sense when you've got a bunch of pedals, patch cords carrying audio (way too many bad George L's to speak of lol) and also the need for a power supply. Total sense, but if we are talking just a Foot Controller and one or two expressions pedals, with nothing carrying audio, everything powered by one Faslink cable etc, it just seems overkill for me.

Its not different than if someone said they used one hardware stomp box...Would I spend $100+ to mount that to pre-made board ? No way. But that's just me..... and my opinion. I've always considered all the premade boards very poor values. I can do basic soldering, and very basic wood and metal work, so I've always been able to build my own custom boards for fractions of what the name brand stuff costs, and with no trade-offs in sizing, not enough power ports etc.

People can all do what they want though, so thats great. Some folks will likely just have the FC sitting on stage, maybe with 1 controller. Others will have it attached to a pre-fabricated pedal board with matching case. Some may have it attached to a $10 particle board shelf from IKEA lol. Any and all will work fine.

I will say with regards to pedal boards in general though, I used to do the super near custom wiring lengths, carefully routed patch cords etc, and that is well and good. Gets lots of "likes" on threads lol, BUT, the big issue I ran into was when I changed a pedal, say from side to top mount jacks, suddenly my wiring was too short, or the power cable didn't reach and it took a lot of work to redo it, which was a big PITA.

These days I'm 1) not playing out which has its own luxuries lol, but more so, 2) not mounting any of my hardware pedals and while messy, has been really fun because I can plug things in different orders. Do I like my Klone before or after my muff style fuzz ? Where do I like my vibe pedals, before or after the fuzz ? Kind of fun being able to change stuff up, since they aren't all dual-locked down to a board in a given order. Kind of goes back to the Jimi thing, where he'd grab a given fuzz flavor of the week, and maybe he'd put it before vibe, maybe after etc. I like that mentality, though again, I'm not knocking folks who want to dial in every pedal, shorted each lead to the perfect length, tape or goop their carefully set knobs in a given position and just plug in the board and know exactly what it will do week in/out.

I'm currently looking for a backpack to slide it in. Preferably with 2xEV-2's all attached to a thin rigid piece of plastic or something. Seems like I need a bag that can fit something 28x10.

Since I do theater jobs where I don't know exactly how much room I'll have, I'll leave the components free floating, so I can position them around my music stand.

The FC-12 is 4 inches wider than the MFC... So it might work if you lose 1 Mission pedal.
Yeah, I’m thinking of ditching the one I use for just volume. I don’t really need it. But I might just go to the wider pedaltrain. Decisions decisions... :)

I have been using for years, when I studied with Paul Gilbert..just 3/4 ply covered with black industrial velcro.
I cut the boards to different sizes depending on the gigs. Costs about 20 dollars at home depot for everything and I usually get 3 boards out of sheet of 3x4 ply.
I use a mono bag to carry...never had a problem on a plane etc.

I was using a PedalTrain NOVO 24 with the MFC but I'm going back to a sheet of plywood for the FC setup. I'll probably pick up the larger Mono bag they make for PedalTrain boards to keep it in. Will be using pipe strapping to fix everything to the board.

The only reason for me to use a board at this point is to give some protection for the connections on the back of the unit. Not that someone couldn't still step on it, but if the board is deeper than the unit, it does give a bit of a buffer. And especially if it has any riser to it, a random foot won't just step into it. My PT-Pro was perfect for this w/ the MFC.

Other than that, it only takes me about 2 mins to cable everything together on the AX8... and an FC won't have audio i/o or power to worry about. Just an XLR and couple of pedals.

When the time comes I’ll make a carry case with lift off top out of plywood. I take the same approach as unix-guy:
It's for quick setup and helps prevent errors and cable damage ... I set my case down, take off the lid, run my FASLink cable to the front of rack panel and done ... No arranging, no other cables, everything works and is securely in place.
In addition to pedals my floor board also has space for gig essentials: lighting rig controls, a tin of picks, my capo, and a pint of beer.

Back
Top Bottom